The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Power reserve indicators seem to be here to stay (and maybe are necessary for some movements). Maybe it is just me, but having dial space used up for something that changes very slowly seems to be a huge waste of real estate. If I was designing these things, I'd have a very small, unobtrusive pip/marker/triangle at the very edge of the dial, at the chapter ring, that would indicate the power reserve, without ANY indication what it was. No text, nothing, just an indicator that once you either knew the model, or read the user manual, you'd be able to interpret. "Oh, the marker is at 2 o'clock, looks like I only have a 24 hour power reserve left"

I'd lay my crotchety old man opinion on a dislike of complications in general, but I have lots of chronographs, and I don't seem to mind their appearance on the dial?

Is it just me? What is your view of power reserve displays on the dial?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The best design I saw was a watch with the power reserve in the back of the watch where you could see it through the clear case back. How often do you need to know about how much power is left anyway? I forget the watch model now, but I thought that was a good design.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I love PR on the dial.
Of course, it does depend where it is placed.
Orient/Orient Star of late have done a superb job IMO.

Look at it this way, Swiss watches that have the PR function charge a great premium, yet OS offers it as standard in many of their watches...

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Spacewalk PR injimocater is xlunt , in moy pinion.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The best design I saw was a watch with the power reserve in the back of the watch where you could see it through the clear case back. How often do you need to know about how much power is left anyway? I forget the watch model now, but I thought that was a good design.
The only Seiko model I know of with a rear power reserve indicator is the Credor GBLT999.

I think this is perfect for this model as it leaves the dial very clean and simple.

I think that a PR can work as a design element but it does really depend on the overall design.

I quite like the inclusion on my Mirua Land Master but do not like it on the majority of the dress GS SD models.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I like it as a feature (especially for a manually-wound watch), and a few execute it beautifully:

My only PR is on my Snowflake, and I agree it throws off the balance of the dial a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello.
I am new in this forum.
Rickf, can you tell me in which watch you have seen the power reserve indicator in the case of the watch?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Had a quick look through what I have and the majority are Orients.

From a quite basic model from a few years ago - CFD0E001

To an Orient Star EL00-C0CA.

I do not mind these too much as the date and logo seem to balance it out a bit.

My Orient Star Somes WZ0081FR has a very imposing PR and I think it throws the dial balance off.

For quite busy dials like this E210-T00758 Eco Drive the PR indicator also seems to balance out OK.

I guess that I do not mind a PR indicator but it needs to be balanced out on the dial.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello.
I am new in this forum.
Rickf, can you tell me in which watch you have seen the power reserve indicator in the case of the watch?
Scroll up to post nr. 6. 'Akable' posted pictures even.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From a quite basic model from a few years ago - CFD0E001

For quite busy dials like this E210-T00758 Eco Drive the PR indicator also seems to balance out OK.

On the more restrained (plain) dials I think it's a huge distraction, but on a busier watch, it can be worked in a little better. Personally, I'd prefer they weren't there at all, but that's probably why I'm not a watch designer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the more restrained (plain) dials I think it's a huge distraction, but on a busier watch, it can be worked in a little better. Personally, I'd prefer they weren't there at all, but that's probably why I'm not a watch designer.
I agree. On the dressier design it really detracts from a clean look. The Citizen on the other hand looks fine. Now Citizen is working the power reserve into a multiple function dial where it's shared with the day of the week pointer or some other function.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think Orient do them pretty well

Sent via t'interweb thingy using magic n stuff....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Generally not a fan of cluttered dials but it depends on the watch. I do like the idea of a power reserve indicator. If it was unobtrusive and blended in, as some have suggested, that would be ideal...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Okay, Power reserve indicators seem to be here to stay (and maybe are necessary for some movements). Maybe it is just me, but having dial space used up for something that changes very slowly seems to be a huge waste of real estate. If I was designing these things, I'd have a very small, unobtrusive pip/marker/triangle at the very edge of the dial, at the chapter ring, that would indicate the power reserve, without ANY indication what it was. No text, nothing, just an indicator that once you either knew the model, or read the user manual, you'd be able to interpret. "Oh, the marker is at 2 o'clock, looks like I only have a 24 hour power reserve left"

I'd lay my crotchety old man opinion on a dislike of complications in general, but I have lots of chronographs, and I don't seem to mind their appearance on the dial

Is it just me? What is your view of power reserve displays on the dial?
Head of Seiko to flunky engineer. What we need is something to dress up the dial because now every one wants chronographs and wont buy my beautiful watches with no or very few comlications ' The flunky was dispatched to a dark basement room under the basement of the building where the Grand Seiko is assembled. It looked like bleak. After three days the CEO called him back for a progress report and he had none. this went on ever three days for eight years and the flunky is getting very hungry so when his presences is commanded by the CEO and asked if there was anything new to say he retorted. Time the damn spring reserve and let me eat. The rest as they say is history and probably no more truth

1 - 20 of 21 Posts