The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am considering a mod for my Spork and I'm looking for a new dial. I have a PMMM, but I find it is just too small for my wrist. I'm more comfortable around the 44-45mm size.
Hence me purchasing a SRP043. I have already done some work to the watch (Which I will reveal once all complete ;D )

Anyhow, I'm looking for a Seiko dial, similar to the 007 for the spork. I want non polished edges to the indices and want round indices.
With my limited knowledge, I cannot find anything to suit. So with the vast knowledge base on here I hope you guys can help.

I am also considering, depending on price and availability, swapping out the 4R15 for a 4R16 or 6R15.
Rob at Monsterwatches.nl will be doing the mods for me.

So lets hear your suggestions !

Cheers
:great:

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I was you, I'd save my modding for watches that are easily re-obtainable in their stock form. The Spork is discontinued, gaining in value and collectability, and its original dial is what makes the watch stand out among other divers. Could be a cool looking mod though! Especially if you could put the Spork dial into a Sumo case with Monster hands and a SS Tuna bezel.....that I'd like to see.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
JohnZ said:
If I was you, I'd save my modding for watches that are easily re-obtainable in their stock form. The Spork is discontinued, gaining in value and collectability, and its original dial is what makes the watch stand out among other divers. Could be a cool looking mod though! Especially if you could put the Spork dial into a Sumo case with Monster hands and a SS Tuna bezel.....that I'd like to see.

:iagree:

I'd leave the spork be. They're rising in value almost daily.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I know it's your watch and you can do what ever you want to it but I'd be sad to see such a grail watch (at least to me) get modded.

Best of luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It's not quite what you're currently thinking, but how about a Bloody Monster dial (SRP313K1) ? Certainly worth a photoshop mock-up I reckon.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The sport does not have a day, but it is easy to add one. The hardest part is the position of the date. It does not align at the 3 position!

(The srp043 dial can also not be fitted in a skx007 case because of the difference in date positions; it has been done, but by glueing two date wheels together (and sanding away a lot of plastic between them).

I am also thinking of modding my Spork... Well, if you can say that, I want to replace the movement with a 6r15... I am sure I will learn some tricks to overcome the date wheel issue (I think the movement holder of the Spork is different from the standard movement holders)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems to be a sway against modding my spork !

If I do go ahead with the mods, they would be reversible so as not to detract from the value. However, this one is a keeper so I won't be selling it ;D

I have a quick mock up of the spork without the numerals. And to me it looks much better (but of course it's not to everyones taste)

I'll be adding the red second hand no matter what I do with the dial.
But if any of you know of a dial like the above please let me know.

Cheers

p.s.
Here's a pic of my PMMM created by Rob @ monster.nl

Base 007, 171 dial, black day/date, Samurai Ti hands and a Wjean super solid bracelet.
Also fully brushed to remove all traces of polished surfaces (since photo was taken)

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
robbie409 said:
The sport does not have a day, but it is easy to add one. The hardest part is the position of the date. It does not align at the 3 position!

(The srp043 dial can also not be fitted in a skx007 case because of the difference in date positions; it has been done, but by glueing two date wheels together (and sanding away a lot of plastic between them).

I am also thinking of modding my Spork... Well, if you can say that, I want to replace the movement with a 6r15... I am sure I will learn some tricks to overcome the date wheel issue (I think the movement holder of the Spork is different from the standard movement holders)
Hi Rob, I think the problem you have is that the Spork has a true four o'clock crown, this is fairly unique amongst the 7S/4R/6R movements family - the other notable exception being some of the S-wave models . It's the dials which are unique - the legs are offset compared to "normal" 3:45 7S dials . I put a 6119c movement into a 7S26 S-wave case to experiment, it's only the stem height which prevented it's use - everything else lined up . I'm 99% sure that the movement holder is the same as a 3:45 one. Pic is from jam-vintage (no affiliation)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My knowledge is limited, but my understanding is that most 28.5mm dials will fit once the legs are removed or repositioned or adhesive dial dots are used.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
If you want to use dial dots etc, then pretty much any dial of similar diameter will fit, chances are the day date will have to go though. The 4r15 and 16 are the same bar the day wheel and drive parts. Personally I wouldn't use dial dots or glue, but it's your watch!.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
JohnZ said:
:iagree: too:-

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This is true, but the date wheel will not have the date at the 3. An S-wave dial might do the trick ! I have a few of them ;)

FYI I am Rob at monsterwatches dot nl :)

cmar-ireland said:
My knowledge is limited, but my understanding is that most 28.5mm dials will fit once the legs are removed or repositioned or adhesive dial dots are used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh Hi Rob ! Good to hear from you.
:great:

Hopefully we can come up with some plan. I'll be sending the watch to you for the mods if we find something to suit!

Can you get a 6R15 movement, and will it fit a spork?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I am getting 6R15's in February.

Since my own Spork is no one to get this movement, I will know how to do it (with the stock dial though).

I already ahev a few SUS dials, so if you find one you like, I can test it a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
robbie409 said:
I am getting 6R15's in February.

Since my own Spork is no one to get this movement, I will know how to do it (with the stock dial though).

I already ahev a few SUS dials, so if you find one you like, I can test it a bit.

What price for the 6R15 ?
I might keep the stock dial, seems like there is a lot of people that think it shouldn't be changed ???

Do you have alink to pics of the SUS dials?

Thanks

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
I think you mean S-wave - not SUS?, most SUS are 3 o'clock crown.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts