The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to fill you in. I haven't heard anything from the watchmaker, but today I got my watch back. The crown is stuck, I can't wind the watch, nor can I pull the crown out and set the hands. And the painting of the hands is not consistent with the original painting. But I got the watch back! Hopefully no real damage is done to the movement so that it can be restored by someone else...

Thanks everyone for your help and support.

Lars Jakobson

(and for those who doesn't know what I am talking about:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,5442.msg24975.html#msg24975 )

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Very happy to hear that you have been reunited with your watch and I sincerely hope for you that it is not beyond repair or damaged.

Good luck....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lars, thank goodness your watch was returned. However, it's a shame that after shipping it off 2 years ago and sending your money to your watchmaker, it comes back still broken.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Very good to hear you have finally got your watch (i.e. property) back after such a long time. However, it is disgraceful that it is neither working properly, nor that the hands are painted correctly. It is appalling that you got no message from the 'repairer/restorer'.

You have the patience of a saint, and a remarkably positive outlook - even though it appears that you have been dealt with very badly indeed.

Regards,
Sweephand

·
Registered
416 Posts
Very pleased for you Lars,as a side bar ,i would have been very embarrassed to have
returned the watch to you in that condition after 2 years and having been paid for,
if I called myself a "professional" watch maker.........still glad that you got your baby back...............

·
Registered
221 Posts
Where's the dignity of that person? How can he act like that and then NOT refund your money after all this? I hope some real watchmaker is able to repair your watch! Good luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad to hear that you finally got your watch back.

Wasn't the "watchmaker" named and shamed in the previous thread - there appears to have been some editing to the thread.

I can understand why the name has now been withdrawn, but some of these guys keep getting away with shafting their customers............ and yes I know that there are bad customers as well. :(

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
catflem said:
Wasn't the "watchmaker" named and shamed in the previous thread - there appears to have been some editing to the thread.
Really? Can you kindly point me to where these 'edits' are? ::)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad to hear you have got your watch back Lars, it is a shame that it is not right.
I do not in anyway dispute what you and others have said here about this matter and i would be the first to put my hand up in your support BUT i just can't help feeling that the reason for this is a lot deeper and even darker than most would like to think, we are not talking about just someone that's popped up out of the blue taken on watchmaking jobs and then let everyone down, no sir we are talking about a respected member who has done some wonderful things in terms of watch repairs etc, someone with a better than great reputation and from my perspective of limited dealings with him a very very nice man indeed, a man that would bend over backwards to help you if he could, i have read back through the archives, sure there have been some hiccup's but in the main it shows glowing reports of workmanship etc,
So what has happened to this man, has anyone tried to find out, maybe a close friend or such, maybe he has had a major drama in his life and is not capable of explaining what has gone wrong, and something obviously has and maybe he can't call out for help.
Just my two Bobs worth

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My dfear Fried George
As the good Soul you are, I can assure you I tried , But the Powers that be felt what I had tried to explain would have caused more Disgrace& Humiliation to this Man

It was Deleted. I respect and TRY TRY not to forget, I am a Guest and I am able to be hear Because of Others that have made it Possible. In my eyes Putting a
Reason better I say Possible Reason although it was somthing I Truly felt was Justified But my POINT really was Not to Berate The Man, but to put Reason
for behavior that Caused Much GRIEF for Many, but at the same time, because I share your feelings about the Man and how we All can find ourselves in Behavior

that is not who we have been for many years for many People. But as I said at the beginning I have been Wrong more then once in my life, Maybe the Moderator was right??

it is of little matter anymore as for myself I also am happy Larse got his watch back, as I would be happy if all that were left w/ a Sour taste in there mouths
were able to also have it if not sweetened at least no longer Bitter.

We have been through a War together, and been around the block many times, Things happen , Maybe the best reminder is how we can effect each others lives
and best we Try to have lives better because we have been part of them, rather then Hurt each other what ever the Reasons may be.

Hope all is well /w Your Pop, send him My Very Best
latter George.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I understand what you are saying Russell

"It is not so much our friends help
that helps us as the confident
knowledge that they will help us"

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Seikozen said:
It was Deleted. I respect and TRY TRY not to forget, I am a Guest and I am able to be hear Because of Others that have made it Possible. In my eyes Putting a
Reason better I say Possible Reason although it was somthing I Truly felt was Justified But my POINT really was Not to Berate The Man, but to put Reason
for behavior that Caused Much GRIEF for Many, but at the same time, because I share your feelings about the Man and how we All can find ourselves in Behavior

that is not who we have been for many years for many People. But as I said at the beginning I have been Wrong more then once in my life, Maybe the Moderator was right??
It is not about right or wrong.
Personal and/or Private data that a person does not wish to be shared openly are to be respected.
Also, speculation as to what may have driven a person to act in any sort of manner that may cause embarrassment is simply damaging rumors, that are unacceptable.

As staff members we did our best to resolve the matter and get the watch back to Lars.
You continue to presume you know what has transpired with the watchmaker, from your own life experiences, which is adorable and benevolent, but not all of life's cases can be centered around our own experiences and compared directly to others, that would be very egocentric.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Agreed 100%. Unless the person in question wants personal information shared it should not be. I'm glad you deleted thte post, even though it was made is support (and clearly came from a generous impulse). Just to keep things even and balanced (for those reading these threads in the future), I want to make clear that, as sorry as I am for Lars' experience, the watchmaker in question continues to do excellent work for many of us, as well as for his local customers. I personally have sent two watches to him in the past 6 mos, and had them returned within weeks, fully serviced and cleaned up (and working very well indeed). I think the good work of some of the watchmakers we regularly discuss on this and other fora has created high expectations to the point where we sometimes feel we can send in a +/- 40 yr.-old watch and it will come back to us, magically working (and looking) like new. I imagine many refurbs of old Seikos are pretty straightforward, but some take much longer than expected, due to parts unavailability, difficulties with cosmetic restoration, etc.

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Time said:

As staff members we did our best to resolve the matter and get the watch back to Lars.
I really appreciate the devoted staff keeping their heads cool and actually help out in this matter.

I'm happy to see Lars got his watch back. He's got my vote for the most patient forummember ....
I hope Lars can enjoy it on his wrist soon!

·
Registered
34 Posts
water70proof said:
...the watchmaker in question continues to do excellent work for many of us, as well as for his local customers. I personally have sent two watches to him in the past 6 mos, and had them returned within weeks, fully serviced and cleaned up (and working very well indeed).
Since I had never done business with the said watchmaker before and recently inquired about sending in a watch to him for service, after reading about Lars fiasco with him and one other bad review of the same watchmaker on another forum, I won't be sending my business his way. That's quite unfortunate, since his quote was very reasonable. But in the end, I need to shop the watchmaker and have full confidence.

I'm also beginning to wonder about the reason why he dropped out of the watch school, as I and many members were excited to get it going, buying tools, etc, just to have the instructor leave and hang everyone dry.

·
Registered
688 Posts
From what little I know it probably has to do with the fact that he runs a busy brick-and-mortar business. That plus the business from the web probably don't leave much time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts