Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideally, I would like:

* barometer / altimeter
* thermometer
* radio-controlled
* solar

And ideally, a street price under $175. If it has a compass that's fine, but doesn't bother me either way .

Is the G-Shock GW9200-1 Riseman the right model? Anyone here have one and like or dislike it?

Thanks VERY much in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a Riseman and have had a couple of Pro-treks.
Riseman doesn't have the compass.
Size is the issue- I doubt youll ever get a Pro-trek under a work shirt, but you might just about with a Riseman.
I think out if the 2 watches though the Pro-Trek is easier to read and is pretty cool.
You can get a used one for very little money if you keep your eye out for one
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've got a Riseman and I love it. A compass would be the icing on the cake, but the added legendary toughness of G more than makes up for it IMO.

It's super comfy, sits flat and the strap is very soft. Good decision.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Recently I was tempted to get the orange Riseman but was able to hold back the fire
A terrific watch!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re thermometers on watches: as long as the watch the watch is on your wrist, you don't get a good read on environmental temperature - your body heat dominates. I suppose this might change if you wore the watch outside your shell layer.

I suspect - but I'm not sure - that even then the sensor wouldn't take into account wind chill and humidity. Which would make it useless in the conditions I'm used to in the UK - you can be much colder here above zero than below.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
scuttle said:
I suspect - but I'm not sure - that even then the sensor wouldn't take into account wind chill and humidity. Which would make it useless in the conditions I'm used to in the UK - you can be much colder here above zero than below.
true, but the temperature doesn't change.
The perception of how cold you are does.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Time said:
true, but the temperature doesn't change.
The perception of how cold you are does.
I'd disagree with these use of the word "perception": you don't just think that you are colder if the wind is higher and humidity greater at 2C - you ARE colder. (Because you are losing heat faster.) Once you realize this, a thermometer on a watch isn't that attractive - imo.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The thermometer isn't accurate on your wrist when it's cold, but you can take it off and let it equalise (say, strapped to your pack).

It's a cool gadget in the Aussie summer - I'm proud to have endured 45 degrees celsius! :mad:

(glad to see you finally made it here Jonathan!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts