The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
That's a repainted dial. The watch underneath is probably "real". But you never know :D

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
It was a 7009 3110, Put that number into Google images and you'll see how they should be, seems they had black, gold or white dials originally.
As already said, the dial has been repainted, probably in India, and they throw in any old movement that will fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As a general rule I steer clear from Seiko with 'Made in Japan' markings. Those are generally low end Seikos (which often means Seiko 5) that were meant for the subcontinent and middle east. More often then not they come with English-Arabic day marker. Perhaps is has something to do with the country of origin marking or just capitalising on the word 'Japan'. I still am not sure where those that were meant for that particular market were assembled by Seiko. Seiko 5 used to be assembled in Malaysia but not anymore think, the line has been transferred to either China or Hong Kong. Seiko Malaysia does them middle of road Seikos while the top tier ones are still being made in Japan with the proper marking.
Quality speaks for itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a 7009 3110, Put that number into Google images and you'll see how they should be, seems they had black, gold or white dials originally.
As already said, the dial has been repainted, probably in India, and they throw in any old movement that will fit.
Thank you! Definitely not going for this after looking at the original thing. Sorry for the incredibly late reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a general rule I steer clear from Seiko with 'Made in Japan' markings. Those are generally low end Seikos (which often means Seiko 5) that were meant for the subcontinent and middle east. More often then not they come with English-Arabic day marker. Perhaps is has something to do with the country of origin marking or just capitalising on the word 'Japan'. I still am not sure where those that were meant for that particular market were assembled by Seiko. Seiko 5 used to be assembled in Malaysia but not anymore think, the line has been transferred to either China or Hong Kong. Seiko Malaysia does them middle of road Seikos while the top tier ones are still being made in Japan with the proper marking.
Quality speaks for itself.
Thank you! Yes, the "Made in Japan" looked suspicious to me too. Don't think I want to waste money on this.

·
Special Member
7,680 Posts
Surprisingly no, it was advertised by a guy named Jim or John. Can't seem to remember at the moment.
Yes I got burned that way on ebay too. The clown bought a Mumbai special and then realized he had purchased a turd so he flipped it to me on ebay. The dial was not repainted so that fooled me. The movement was half Seiko and a bunch of unrecognizable substitutes and needless to say did not run well.

How did I determine its history? Feedback profile ! I checked the sellers's feedback as a Buyer, sho' 'nuf, the India seller had left him positive feedback.

Run away from that green one because I am always fixing these ebay Mumbai specials for a kid down the street from me who likes to buy them. Actually some of them were great buys, just needed a few tweaks. Others were complete parts bin train wrecks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I got burned that way on ebay too. The clown bought a Mumbai special and then realized he had purchased a turd so he flipped it to me on ebay. The dial was not repainted so that fooled me. The movement was half Seiko and a bunch of unrecognizable substitutes and needless to say did not run well.

How did I determine its history? Feedback profile ! I checked the sellers's feedback as a Buyer, sho' 'nuf, the India seller had left him positive feedback.

Run away from that green one because I am always fixing these ebay Mumbai specials for a kid down the street from me who likes to buy them. Actually some of them were great buys, just needed a few tweaks. Others were complete parts bin train wrecks.
Haha wow, this guy listed his as a circa 1970s or 80s watch. It's a good thing I checked with this forum! Should just get one off of Massdrop when a good one drops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts