The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with information on this Citizen regarding model, movement, age etc. It appears to be a 1970's style case but is in such good condition it appears almost unused. The dial flashes from dark blue to bright blue with 2 outer rings by the minutes scale that remain dark. It has an auto movement with hand wind but no hacking, day but not date display. Inside the caseback there is evidence of servicing dates from about 1991 and one I can't read which may be earlier.
Any information will be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, it does look similar but there is no signing on the movement or rotor on mine and the holding ring is plastic so I suspect it may be a little later although the case is very 70's

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm not sure it's in that original a condition to be honest. Yes it's very shiny, but I think it has been recently polished. The case back writing isn't as deep as it should be because a common way to get rid of tool marks and refinish a case back is to skim it in a lathe.
The rest of it looks all original a should give you great service. Citizen make some great reliable movements.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi Seikotone - the movement looks like a 6001, the date only version of the 6000, which Citizen produced in the early 1970s. But I'm not sure it is exactly the same - does yours have the star shaped gear you can see in the image in this link:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Citizen_6001

The movement should also be stamped '6001' near the balance wheel.

I'm not sure this is a genuine piece I'm afraid - the case back is not typical of Citizen, it's of a different design it isn't stamped 'Citizen Watch Co.' The dial doesn't look to me to be finished to Citizen's standards - the applied logo looks rather crudely cut and the printed logo is not a design I'm familiar with, and no dial code suggests a re-dial or dial re-finish.

Stephen

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi eccles and Stephen - Thank you for these observations, I did think it may have been repolished and I was beginning to suspect it may be a fake as although the finish on the dial itself is very good the applied Citizen name looks a little thin and I can't find another with a similar logo. It also does not have the star wheel and the only stamp I can see on the movement is an S. In it's favour it does look good on the wrist and keeps good time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts