The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very kind member gave me a couple of bracelet links when I mentioned I was looking for some for my recently purchased Turtle.

They turned up today and it took me half an hour to fit them properly.

When the pin was going in the collar was coming out etc etc and it took a lot of fiddling, bright lights and a loupe to get it all back together.

I daresay if I was doing this every day it would be easy, but those tiny collars! :eek:

Anyway, all's well that ends well and it's all back together and lovely and comfy now.

Here it is...

Anyone else have a problem with these or do you have an easy foolproof method? - If so spill the beans.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh Yes. I bet these pins and collars, used to fix the bracelet to the watch head of a 7A38-6109 are even smaller and fiddlier. What makes them worse so, is that they're deeply recessed into the watch case lugs. These came out of one I finished fettling this morning - and I hasten to add, didn't re-use. No prizes for spotting the non-standard pin fitted by some previous botcher. :rolleyes:

My technique is to use a pin pusher on the 'push' side and a correct diameter syringe needle (or other stainless steel tubing) to hold the split collar in place while pressing.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
There are many, many posts in the forum ref pins and collars.
There was another one recently, but I'll repost the picture here.
VniycIk.gif

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've had trouble where the pusher I was using to push the pin through was a bit big and opening up the collar slightly meaning it wouldnt grip the pin when it was reassembled. Luckily the collar was usually stuck on the end of the pusher so I kinda worked out why things weren't going back together.
Apart from that I prefer pins and collars over screws. I find easier to adjust and I've never had one come apart.

You must be ages with me Neil...I wear 2 pairs of glasses and a headtorch for this kind of work.

Glad you got the links fitted and you've got the watch on now though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had trouble where the pusher I was using to push the pin through was a bit big and opening up the collar slightly meaning it wouldnt grip the pin when it was reassembled. Luckily the collar was usually stuck on the end of the pusher so I kinda worked out why things weren't going back together.
Apart from that I prefer pins and collars over screws. I find easier to adjust and I've never had one come apart.

You must be ages with me Neil...I wear 2 pairs of glasses and a headtorch for this kind of work.

Glad you got the links fitted and you've got the watch on now though.

Thanks Graham. (y)

I had a pair of glasses round my neck which I alternated with a loupe and a powerful table top lamp (courtesy of Aldi).

I reckon we are of a similar vintage mate!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Actually, I simply use a screwdriver that fits the hole in the bracelet and hold the collar in place with it. Then it's just a question of pushing in the pin - which I've done with numerous items, for instance the back of my tweezers...
When the pin is flat against the bracelet, it is usually already sitting somewhat tight in the collar, so I pick the bracelet up, and (while still holding the collar with the screwdriver) push it in the rest of the way with my sprinbar tool (the pointy end).

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Actually, I simply use a screwdriver that fits the hole in the bracelet and hold the collar in place with it. Then it's just a question of pushing in the pin - which I've done with numerous items, for instance the back of my tweezers...
When the pin is flat against the bracelet, it is usually already sitting somewhat tight in the collar, so I pick the bracelet up, and (while still holding the collar with the screwdriver) push it in the rest of the way with my sprinbar tool (the pointy end).
Aloha ,
When I need to get theses I ......Use Old Spring Bar Tubes that I ....Cut Down and then
use a Razor Knife to Slit the ... Tube so it opens up. Never had a bad effect with doing
with them and save some... $$Cash$$ also. I find ...Stainless Steel Pins Material
and use them for ... The PIN's Also.
To install them..... Make a Flat Bar Tool.... Bend it at both ends the size of the
Watch Head Outer Lugs .... [____]------ < Drill on side, leave the other side Closed.
On one side Drill a hole slightly bigger than the Pin that you are using.
Now place it on the Watch Head, Insert the Sleeve into it with then ...The Pin.
Mean while the other side is closed up an it will hold the other Sleeve in.
Now slowly ....Tap The Pin In and that's it.
Aloha
Louis

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That actually sounds a very good idea!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That actually sounds a very good idea!
Aloha Jay,
I like making Jig's and things because I am also a Machinist so Metal work comes in handy. I am making a Jig now to hold Cases so I can ... Drill Lugs if needed. Won't be
that hard to do because it will be made out of ... Aluminum first. If need to I'll make it
out of ...Stainless Steel.
Louis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Aloha Jay,
I like making Jig's and things because I am also a Machinist so Metal work comes in handy. I am making a Jig now to hold Cases so I can ... Drill Lugs if needed. Won't be
that hard to do because it will be made out of ... Aluminum first. If need to I'll make it
out of ...Stainless Steel.
Louis
Old spring bar tubes are also great for installing new micro o-rings. Slip the o-ring over the tube, the tube goes over the stem in need of a new o-ring, then nudge the o-ring into place with an open pair of tweezers. Or, you could buy the 39.95 USD tool from Bergeon. Lot's of tools just lying around if you use your imagination.

Aloha from the Territories

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had some collars missing from some spare links so I bought a set from cousins Uk,problem was they were too long so I had to cut them down with a junior hacksaw which was a bit tricky.
Then I found out the the pin passed all the way through the collar,so I squeezed the end to make bit smaller ,not ideal but it works .
I think it’s a poor system compared to screws or split pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I had some collars missing from some spare links so I bought a set from cousins Uk,problem was they were too long so I had to cut them down with a junior hacksaw which was a bit tricky.
Then I found out the the pin passed all the way through the collar,so I squeezed the end to make bit smaller ,not ideal but it works .
I think it’s a poor system compared to screws or split pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aloha mk1974,
Well like Member holonalu mentioned..... w
When we look around too what we have just sitting around we might be able to .......Fabricate Many useful things. We have to use our
thought life and Imagination and see what we might be able to devise with basic
things.
You would be surprise to what you can .... Make or Create with a little of what you
have.
Just a ...... Piece of Metal or Plastic from some thing can be a very Profitable Tool to
be used.
you know when you need some thing to use at the moment ..... Just some Scrap
of some thing .... You Have can do the job. Being Careful and Patient does it all.
Louis / LongBike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts