The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 007 I bought a long time ago and the owner said it was prone to stopping. It just quit one day a few weeks ago.
The 009’s we’re working perfectly until they just stopped.
The middle one first. I didn’t know the history of it but it was working. Then it just stopped
The faded one is another I picked up that I started a tread here about it. It stopped the other day.
Coincidence?
Two won’t even try to tick. One does for a minute then stops.
All we’re keeping very good time. I’m not abusing them.
I’m not around magnetic forces that I know of.
Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s probably it. So I’ve never had one of these serviced or done it myself. What is the cost and who? We don’t have anyone local that I know and trust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That’s probably it. So I’ve never had one of these serviced or done it myself. What is the cost and who? We don’t have anyone local that I know and trust
Call your local watchmaker as prices vary - country, city, watchmaker etc.

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Donavan,
West Texas blow sand probably got the best of them........:)

New SKX movements are readily available and cheaper then getting one serviced.

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
That's one thing I don't miss about West Texas.............

·
Special Member
27,775 Posts
Yes, Replace the movements with new, Then you will have 3 donor movements for parts, Maybe 1 to start your endeavor into Tinkering. Unless you can service them yourself it is just not worth the $ or time.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
New SKX movements are readily available and cheaper then getting one serviced.
Yes, Replace the movements with new, Then you will have 3 donor movements for parts, Maybe 1 to start your endeavor into Tinkering. Unless you can service them yourself it is just not worth the $ or time.
I would like to point out that new watch movements can also be dry and without adjustment ... Well, someone has to disassemble old mechanisms and install new ones, and we do not know if a colleague can do it ...
I don't know about the USA, but in Poland, the service of such a watch (washing, oiling, adjustment) is $ 50-70 ...

·
Special Member
27,775 Posts
So Mr Yoda, New movements in Seiko watches are known to have dried oils and such ??? Please enlighten us.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So Mr Yoda, New movements in Seiko watches are known to have dried oils and such ??? Please enlighten us.
You're welcome @DAHASCO.
I manufacture watches to which I import mechanisms (seiko, miyota) from Japan. About 40% is re-serviceable - mechanisms stored on shelves have dried lubricants.

If you would like to learn something about the mechanisms, please send a private message, we will not litter in the thread ...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There is your 40%
You are wrong.
How many 5, 50 mechanisms did you buy?
I am a few thousand.
It all depends on where they were made in China and what is the quality control ... the same applies to Swiss mechanisms.

Edit
Colleague @donoman did not know why the watches stop and you propose to replace the mechanism yourself?
Stupid idea.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts