The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We see plenty of nice pictures of watch collections, but I was wondering how many of you keep a database of some sort of the watches that you own or have owned. If so, mind sharing what data you collect and how you organize it?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I keep simple things like as many measurements as possible, purchase price, date and seller, selling date and price. Maybe some other stuff for future reference like OEM strap part numbers and battery numbers.

I keep the data in a simple Excel spreadsheet that I recently moved over to google docs so that I can reference from anywhere, including my phone. You never know when you'll need to know the crystal diameter of a Seiko Monster. ;D

I started to keep the data to help me find reference for sizes of watches since most purchases are made from pictures on the internet. The information is also helpful in writing the reviews and sharing with others. I've also been able to use the data as a budget tool just to monitor my spending (and selling) over time.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I keep information about my watch collection on a single Excel spreadsheet. Serial numbers, models, where bought, date of purchase, retail price, price paid, etc all for insurance purposes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I built a small Access database form that allowed me to quickly enter things like make, model, purchase price, seller, etc., and even had the ability to attach an image to each record. While it worked nicely, I found that I used the table view much more than the form view. I've also switched to OpenOffice since abandoning all things Microsoft, and think rather than continue in OO's database program, I'll import everything into the spreadsheet instead.

I like the idea of hosting it on Google Docs, too! You never know when you'll need the info.

Bo

·
Registered
964 Posts
widerberg said:
.. I've also switched to OpenOffice since abandoning all things Microsoft, and think rather than continue in OO's database program, I'll import everything into the spreadsheet instead....
Guess your not the only one! Access is one of the few MS programs that seem to work in one or the other way and cannot be replaced easily by OO.
I have/had I licenced MS office version, but since they ask me to call them, just because I changed my hardware (what is definitely not their business), I'm totally fed up, and only use OO.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I use a Word file (.doc) with photo of the watch, serial number, movement, measurements, special characteristics and date of purchase.

I tried to use OO, but I was having so many formatting issues (every time I opened a document I had to reformat the styling because it simply didn't save whatever changes I made), so I went back to MS Office

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Most of mine are just photos and they are kept on Photobucket or PicasaWeb.
I really should add details to them there ;D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I list mine on googles docs excel in an OCD kind of way:

Brand, Sub Brand, Model #, Dial Script, Movt #, Manufacture Date, Serial #, Amount Paid, Seller Name, Source Country, Date Purchased, Date Received, Shipping Info, Remarks.

Really helps to tally total expenses which is hard to look at sometimes. :eek: But great for access anywhere with a smart phone and easy to back up. Best when at flea marts when you need to check if you already own a beauty that just caught your eye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts