The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking at prices for a 6R15/NE15 movement for my SKX007.
But I'm truly shocked by the difference in prices between the US and UK, the NE15 in the USA = $115, 6r15 in the UK = £180 ($305).
A few dollars here and there is normal - but nearly two hundred bucks more??
that's scandalous.
And if you didn't know it, here in the UK we used to have a tax free import allowance of £18/$30, which has now been reduced to £15($25) !!!!:eek:
You guys in the US sure have an easier life when it comes to modding watches.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ah man this is the same for most things. I worked for Sega the Jap gaming company for a few years. The price of the console in the states was about 25% cheaper. The games were half the price as were the console accessories. Same goes for their cars. I use to import yank tanks into the UK and flog them until it got too complicated due to the DVLA being on the side of the official dealers. Money talks.

A friend of mine brought his MG back in the 1980's from the USA and had it converted to RHD. It was cheaper to buy it from the states and have it shipped back, pay the duties and have it converted than it was to buy the british made car here in the first place! Total madness.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I remember my dad doing a RHD conversion during the 80s, believe that was an MG. would never of thought it would of been that economical, obviously it is.
I can't believe the general under pricing that most countries have, makes you want to up sticks!
Regards, David

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We get emmm 'bottom rogered' in the UK mate on most import prices... and internal prices too it would seem. Think it's probably due to greed of company exec's and government vat charges.

I've converted a few cars to RHD. Not terrible to do really if the car was designed for both Left and Right hand drive markets. Normally the holes are already in the shell you just need the parts ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
The exchange rate does help us out sometimes. When it's in our favour it often more cost effective to buy from America than Europe, even taking into account the shipping and import duties.
Having said that, I've never understood the price difference in similar items but in different markets, music CD's being a prime example.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Loved the exchange rate in the early 90's. It was $2 to £1. Was like buy one, get one free!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Loved the exchange rate in the early 90's. It was $2 to £1. Was like buy one, get one free!

It was a similar rate just a few years ago. I was helping a friend build an aircraft, and he bought most of the odds and sods from America for a song compared to UK suppliers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Not a terrible exchange rate at the moment really :) Well unless your American buying from the UK that is! Not so great then.... but hey ho you voted them in!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is that the exchange rate is good at the moment, but the shipping costs are absolutely ridiculous. It seems that since the lithium battery in the post fiasco, all the postal services have taken advantage of it - especially between USA and UK, and frankly, are taking the piss.
I just don't understand how I can buy something from HK etc and it arrives within two weeks for just a few dollars shipping, using Singapore or HK postal service.
But from the States it's $20 - $30 ? Which also adds up on your import tax and VAT and Post office fees.

·
Registered
305 Posts
TBH the fees we pay make me feel sick. I've had a few watches from Oz and haven't had to pay a thing, yet from the US it's crazy. Saying that, I find getting JDM car parts from the US still cheaper than getting them directly from Japan, which is crazy considering they get taxed twice that way.
It also sickens me the handling fees companies our side of the Atlantic charge for dealing with customs, it's often the majority of the fees I end up paying.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well I've been looking at prices for a 6R15/NE15 movement for my SKX007.
But I'm truly shocked by the difference in prices between the US and UK, the NE15 in the USA = $115, 6r15 in the UK = £180 ($305).
A few dollars here and there is normal - but nearly two hundred bucks more??
that's scandalous.
And if you didn't know it, here in the UK we used to have a tax free import allowance of £18/$30, which has now been reduced to £15($25) !!!!:eek:
You guys in the US sure have an easier life when it comes to modding watches.
Hi
Cousins do the NE15 for about £85 including vat, although they are waiting for stock at the moment, I've used the "chase up availability" function on their website so I should have a date for delivery by tomorrow, I'll post it here once I know.
It might also help UK parts prices in general if Cousins had some real competition.

seikola

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've noticed this since I was a kid in the early 80's buying American BMX magazines. A bike costing £250 in the UK was $250 in the States, a frame for £100 here was $100 in the States etc, etc. I've grown up now and ride mtb's but the pricing is exactly the same as it always was. I've heard of many instances where someone wants to buy a new bike at £4k+ here so they buy a s/h shitter for £50, bag it up and take it with them to the US for a long weekend and purchase a new bike out there, then leave the £50 one behind and return with the new one avoiding the customs and they still save money after flights and hotels are taken into account. Madness.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've noticed this since I was a kid in the early 80's buying American BMX magazines. A bike costing £250 in the UK was $250 in the States, a frame for £100 here was $100 in the States etc, etc. I've grown up now and ride mtb's but the pricing is exactly the same as it always was. I've heard of many instances where someone wants to buy a new bike at £4k+ here so they buy a s/h shitter for £50, bag it up and take it with them to the US for a long weekend and purchase a new bike out there, then leave the £50 one behind and return with the new one avoiding the customs and they still save money after flights and hotels are taken into account. Madness.
Same with telescopes. Celestron C9.25 £2000 or $2000.... Hence why I moved there so I could buy a load of cheap stuff and when I moved back no import duties..... ok I did also marry a Virginian lass but I sent her back as faulty goods afterwards :grin:

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi
Cousins do the NE15 for about £85 including vat, although they are waiting for stock at the moment, I've used the "chase up availability" function on their website so I should have a date for delivery by tomorrow, I'll post it here once I know.
It might also help UK parts prices in general if Cousins had some real competition.

seikola
Thanks Seikola, appreciate your help :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks Seikola, appreciate your help :)
I have a account with Cousins and often order clock materials from them if you want it ordered at any point just ask as it'll mean zero postage and they know how to charge postage.

·
Registered
390 Posts
On today's exchange rates.

1USD = 2,22 BRL
1GBP = 3,77 BRL

Minimum wage on Brasil: 724 BRL

Which is 325 USD or 191 GBP

Plus: our imports(if declared value is over 50 USD) gets taxed by 60% import fee + 18% tax over products in circulation on national territory.

I guess you guys are still in a better position than us Brazilians. Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts