The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to this but, looking for any info I can get about suppliers of parts for my dads old watch that I want to restore.

I am based in the UK and prefer to deal with UK companies due to ease of communication/transactions but will use any company if they have parts and recommended.

I need mainly movement parts I have a few already and would like to amass a few more before sending it off for strip down and repair.

Any help would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance

Lee

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum....glad to have you with us...well best thing to do is not over think this...that watch is very valuable in original condition with original parts...tell me more about it?..what is wrong with it?...parts for these can be very hard to find too..if you are going to have it repaired....you should contact Cannop on here..he is one of the best and has done quite a few of your model and is located in UK...he recently did a post about a 6217..here is the link....
http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/133834-another-project-finished-62mas-content.html
hope this help...if you need anything please ask away..we are all here to help..God Bless John

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum....glad to have you with us...well best thing to do is not over think this...that watch is very valuable in original condition with original parts...tell me more about it?..what is wrong with it?...parts for these can be very hard to find too..if you are going to have it repaired....you should contact Cannop on here..he is one of the best and has done quite a few of your model and is located in UK...he recently did a post about a 6217..here is the link....
http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/133834-another-project-finished-62mas-content.html
hope this help...if you need anything please ask away..we are all here to help..God Bless John
Almost all the movement parts are the same but the op is talking about the 6217-7000 WorldTimer not the 62mas so a nice collectable watch and one of my favourites but not the same value as a 62mas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Hopefully you will see a couple of pic of my watch! not very good at this attachment of pics bit!!

This was my Dads watch that I inherited on my 18th birthday. He died before I was born so I have very little of his to remember him by. So is very sentimental to me for obvious reasons.

He bought it new and used it as a everyday watch for 6 years until his death, so has heavy wear to the case and bracelet but still all the original bits. When I inherited it I used it as my dad had until I went to change the date and the crown pulled out!!

Had that repaired and continued wearing it for a year or so then used infrequently until I could afford to bring it back as close as possible to former glory. :)

To be honest it works perfectly and keeps time just as well
I had a jeweller look at it but wasn't in the slightest bit interested in doing anything with it at all (you can tell just by looking at there response, cant you!) he made a few excuses then handed it back saying parts are obsolete nothing can be done!!

So hence the request for any and all parts I can find but hoping that nothing will be needed on the movement at all. The only thing that I would love to get is an original crystal for the watch as I have got a NOS seiko acrylic one but not the same as the original one. Also the bracelet needs repair as my dad used a sewing pin to hold it together as the bracelet fixings had bent and the original pins dropped out (not the spring bars).

I'll try and get some better pics taken and loaded if I can :grin:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
i am sorry i gave you wrong link...i apologize...that is a very beautiful watch and should clean up very well...

·
Registered
708 Posts
View attachment 147530

View attachment 147538

Hopefully you will see a couple of pic of my watch! not very good at this attachment of pics bit!!

This was my Dads watch that I inherited on my 18th birthday. He died before I was born so I have very little of his to remember him by. So is very sentimental to me for obvious reasons.

He bought it new and used it as a everyday watch for 6 years until his death, so has heavy wear to the case and bracelet but still all the original bits. When I inherited it I used it as my dad had until I went to change the date and the crown pulled out!!

Had that repaired and continued wearing it for a year or so then used infrequently until I could afford to bring it back as close as possible to former glory. :)

To be honest it works perfectly and keeps time just as well
I had a jeweller look at it but wasn't in the slightest bit interested in doing anything with it at all (you can tell just by looking at there response, cant you!) he made a few excuses then handed it back saying parts are obsolete nothing can be done!!

So hence the request for any and all parts I can find but hoping that nothing will be needed on the movement at all. The only thing that I would love to get is an original crystal for the watch as I have got a NOS seiko acrylic one but not the same as the original one. Also the bracelet needs repair as my dad used a sewing pin to hold it together as the bracelet fixings had bent and the original pins dropped out (not the spring bars).

I'll try and get some better pics taken and loaded if I can :grin:
The OEM crystal can still be found, as I managed to find one for my own 6217-7000 restoration project. However, I will say your jeweler is somewhat correct that many parts are obsolete and no longer available, but I would strongly encourage you to find a proper watchmaker, as opposed to a jeweler. Apples and oranges, IMO.

I've been seeking a 24 hour wheel for my 6217 for well over a year and so far I haven't found one. Often it's easier to just get a donor watch and use the parts, but lately the value on the World Timer watches seems to be increasing, so that's not always feasible.

As an aside, it appears that Stefan (seikochrono) has the correct crystal listed on eBay. It might be worth contact him directly to see what he's got available.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I was going to say see what seikochrono has in the way of parts. Send him a pm on here and then swap emails. Check his ebay stock out yourself as seller schillachi61 first maybe, but deal by mail not ebay and he'll save you a little cost.
Don't worry about avoiding ebay he's solid and in the U.K. I had parts from him again this week

Nice watch, if the movement's good and you only need a crystal at first it'll look so much better.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well my friend that is a very special watch in so many ways. I know exactly that "look" when you bring something in to a repairman that is a older or a bit off the beaten path. That to me is a sign of a person I would not want to do any business with. Gee I might have to do a little extra work to find the parts and I can't make a quick easy buck so I'm not interested. Keep looking. I know from post from other members here in the UK that there are some shops out there that would be glad to help restore such a nice watch and a watch that means the world to you.
As far as the new crystal goes there is a very nice gentleman who is a member here and also has a fantastic inventory of genuine Seiko parts for these older watches. His eBay seller name is schillachi61 who has the crystal you need. Part number 341W02AN
I was fortunate to find a very nice family owned business here where I live. The shop is run by an older Greek man and he actually enjoys bringing old watches back to life. He is the one that got me hooked on watches. I brought him a nice but well worn and dirty 1942 14K gold Bulova. I ran but it wanted to wear it every day and I wanted it clean looking. When I picked it up a month later I was amazed. it did not even look like the same watch. I was hooked from then on and slowly learned to do most repairs myself.
Keep us updated on how thinks work out. I not only want to hear about the watch but being able to have one of your Fathers personal possessions as a keep sake is a priceless think. I just lost my father this past August. He was a wealthy man but the only think I ever spend any time on after he passed was to get a hold of some of the small personal items that belonged to him before my other siblings got them.

Michael

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am sorry i gave you wrong link...i apologize...that is a very beautiful watch and should clean up very well...
No, I don't think you were wrong, the movement is all but the same only slight differences internally.
To be completely frank, (even though my name is lee) IMHO its the movement that matters most as without it a watch is not a watch! :grin::grin:

Some may disagree with that statement and say its the looks as well and I cant agree more with that too.

Confused?? I know I am, lol!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chévere, Skg7548 and Killsnapz

Thank-you for your suggestion of contacting Stefan, I had already found him on ebay and purchased 2 crystals from him (but they are the acrylic type), and then all the other spare parts I have now got for my watch directly from him and I must say, he is a very good and honest man and he did me a good deal on all the other parts too!!.

I must contact him again to see if he has got anything else new in for my watch.

Just had a thought, does anybody know if the 6217-7000 worldtime had a "glass" crystal or "plastic" crystal from new?
The reason I ask I have just "popped the top" of my watch and the crystal is acrylic and in there on its own but the new one that I bought from Stefan is also acrylic and also comes with a tension? ring. I thought that the crystal was original but not so sure now. I had never thought about it until now and always assumed it was "glass".

...And yes it looks hundreds times better just with that in place.

Lee

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
How do you know what movement parts your watch needs before it's been stripped cleaned and inspected? The 341W02AN is the correct crystal for the World Time and it does come with a spring to allow the internal city ring to stay meshed with the gear on the stem at all times..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, that explains it then! So it has had a replacement crystal but not had the tension spring fitted when it was replaced.

cannop, I must admit I don't know what I need and it would make perfect sense to send it away but at the same time I really don't want to send the watch away for repair for it to be pulled apart and then be told you've got to wait for an unknown time to be able to put it back together again due to parts availability.
Or am I just being silly and frightening myself stupid?

I have looked at some of the work you have posted and must say I am highly impressed.

Lee

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Ah, that explains it then! So it has had a replacement crystal but not had the tension spring fitted when it was replaced.

cannop, I must admit I don't know what I need and it would make perfect sense to send it away but at the same time I really don't want to send the watch away for repair for it to be pulled apart and then be told you've got to wait for an unknown time to be able to put it back together again due to parts availability.
Or am I just being silly and frightening myself stupid?

I have looked at some of the work you have posted and must say I am highly impressed.

Lee
Sounds like it :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I get the message.

Obviously there is cannop (and I will pm him) that does this type of work but is there anybody else that could service/repair my watch? Recommend based on personal opinion please.

Thanks Lee

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I get the message.

Obviously there is cannop (and I will pm him) that does this type of work but is there anybody else that could service/repair my watch? Recommend based on personal opinion please.

Thanks Lee
oops :redface: that was supposed to say:- based on personal experience please.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
oops :redface: that was supposed to say:- based on personal experience please.
Personally I wouldent bother looking any further than Canop/Duncan, he is really the go to guy for the 62mas/6217 (and others) does a quality job but more important he knows what he is doing.

ps: No affiliation with Duncan but imo when you find a quality guy why look further ? :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I wouldent bother looking any further than Canop/Duncan, he is really the go to guy for the 62mas/6217 (and others) does a quality job but more important he knows what he is doing.

ps: No affiliation with Duncan but imo when you find a quality guy why look further ? :)
Thanks have pm'ed him and in communication with him now.

think I needed somebody else to prompt me into taking the step of doing something not just looking for parts.

Thanks again

Lee:D

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Cannop will make this back to new and well worth taking the time to make it right...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please do yourself a favour and your dad's timepiece justice and send it to Cannop for full movement service if need be. Turn around time and work-price ratio is second to none. He worked on my soon to be 41 years old seiko 6105-8110. His mate James Hyman tastefully relumed it too. It is also back to original specs waterproofness.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts