1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HTML clipboard
“Project” 6309 !!
Movement removal.

• Gather my tools together, case cushion, movement holder and cocktail stick (or peg wood).

• The case back is off so now I lift the movement retainer out using my trusty cocktail stick (doesn’t scratch anything and they are cheap), just gently pick it out and while doing so make sure you don’t catch the balance wheel.

• Now unscrew the crown and again I use my cocktail stick to depress the button that I have pointed out next to the stem on the movement which releases the stem and while the button is depressed gently pull the crown and stem out of the case, always remember every thing should move easy never force anything, “feel” it out, if it doesn’t move you have either not undone the crown from the thread totally or you haven’t depressed the release button properly.

• Now that the crown/stem and ring have been removed the movement is ready to come out of the case, just turn the case over and the movement will come out into your hand. You will get the odd one that dosent want to just drop out so a few taps on the crystal should get it to move if not you may have to give the movement a little help by prizing it out of the case, again this is were I use my cocktail stick or my brass pick made for me quite a while ago by Noah Riley and used extensively since.

• So the movement is now out so to protect it I immediately place it in a movement holder (Bergeon 4040) and also at this stage I put away until later the three piece crown/stem as it is easy while messing with this to dislocate the bottom part of the stem from the top and then you risk damage, losing parts like the washer or spring plus when this style of crown/stem is used when not supported by the case tube it is a bit fiddly, so I now use a spare crown I have with a one piece 6309 dress stem in it, much easier to use and no chance of doing anything to your three piece one.

• Inspect the case threads looking good on this one, inspect the movement retainer and spring again looking good many of these can come with the spring missing or corroded but not this one, now the bit I have been waiting for a clear look at the dial and hands and wow a beautiful dial, great H/M hands, at this moment I am a very happy chappy much better than I dared hope for J J Also the case inside looks clean and no sign that at any time water has been inside the watch.
    Notice the quality of the text and how it lines up on an original dial (the red lines drawn by me).

Disclaimer.
At no time do I say my methods are the correct way, best way, proper way or the only way just that these methods work for me [font=Wingdings]J[/font] [font=Wingdings]J[/font] [font=Wingdings]J[/font] you copy or use these methods at your own risk [font=Wingdings]J[/font]

Why have this project? Two reasons,
[list]
To perhaps help some of you guys to do a little more to your watches and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Ulterior motive of mine to pick up tips from others [font=Wingdings]J[/font]
[/list]

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Another great tutorial post, John, thanks a bunch!
:)
I'll try this ASAP, actually I ordered a case cushion, waiting for it!
And I'll post some pics too, although yours are just perfect. I just want to show the rust on the movement retaining ring in my project watch!
Cheers,

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just now catching up with you John, here is the movement pulled out. I'm loving the patina on the dial.

I use a small drill bit chucked upside down in my precious Tamiya pinvise for pushing the release button as I pull the crown out. The threads on the crown post feel and look good, just need a good cleaning.

The hands have a bit of corrosion, and the lume is completely gone on both the dial and hands. I believe there has not been any attempts at reluming them to date.

The basics laid out on my "cleaner-than-it-looks" rubber work mat.

I'll be traveling thru Europe from the 9-21 of Sept. so will do my best to be on pace until then, and get caught up when I return.

Having fun so far! Great posts John.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
TheTigerUK said:

That is fascinating, can I ask about the 6309 dress stem Tiger? Was it a simple swap or have you had to adjust in any way, filing it or anything else?

What an excellent improvisation, how do you find it in use?

Thanks John,

Howie

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howie the stem is part # 354601 (uncut so full length) which are very easy to buy new and cheap, you don't have to do any modding at all the stem fits the crown as is and also the movement, note i only use this why the movement is out of the case.

You will find this is much easier to use why working on the movement than the original.

This modded crown/stem can be used when the movement is back in the case for tweaking etc etc but you can NOT screw the crown down, it is only for ease of use before finally using your three piece set up.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I wish I had the patience to wait for this before I removed my movement :-[

Thanks for the tip about using the dress stem!

This has been a very rewarding experience so far. Thanks again for getting this started John!

·
Registered
664 Posts
John,

You are to be commended for the specificity of these posts. One point I would add is when depressing the "release button" for the stem, make sure to push straight down, otherwise it will jam and will not pop back up into position. Learned this the hard way! :'(

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi,
This is the crown+stem I got from my "donor" watch which arrived this morning (a dress vintage Seiko 5). I assume it can be used with the 6309-7040 movement.

This is the stem release button on this 6349 movement, I believe it is identical to the one on the 6309. There seems to be a very small hole machined into the button, probably to keep a pointy tool centred when one presses the button to release or reinsert the crown+stem. This is a nice detail, imho.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ADB said:
Hi,
This is the crown+stem I got from my "donor" watch which arrived this morning (a dress vintage Seiko 5). I assume it can be used with the 6309-7040 movement.

This is the stem release button on this 6349 movement, I believe it is identical to the one on the 6309. There seems to be a very small hole machined into the button, probably to keep a pointy tool centred when one presses the button to release or reinsert the crown+stem. This is a nice detail, imho.

[img]

Cheers,
[/quote]

If it a 6309 your donor then yes it will fit for sure, great macro shot of the stem !!

·
Registered
80 Posts
My pictures pale in comparison but ......

Movement out:

Crystal out

Parts before cleaning:

New little electrostatic cleaner I picked up at Otto Frei's (discovered very near my hotel in San Fran this week while there on business)

Post cleaning

After some light polishing and a ding removal:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
If it a 6309 your donor then yes it will fit for sure, great macro shot of the stem !!
Hi John,
By looking at the parts list, I noticed the 6349A and 6309A have the same part number for the stem (354 601), so it's confirmed that it will fit!
Cheers,

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ADB said:
Hi John,
By looking at the parts list, I noticed the 6349A and 6309A have the same part number for the stem (354 601), so it's confirmed that it will fit!
Cheers,
I think that the 6309 stem must be one of the most common ones out there and so easy to obtain i wish the two piece diver one was as easy to get hold of !!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: this Dress Stem - what's the significance of it? Is it there just so that you can adjust the hands and day/date when the watch isn't in it's case? Or does it serve a more important purpose in keeping something in place when the movement is out of the case?

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kai_h said:
Re: this Dress Stem - what's the significance of it? Is it there just so that you can adjust the hands and day/date when the watch isn't in it's case? Or does it serve a more important purpose in keeping something in place when the movement is out of the case?
What i have found is that when messing about with your movement when it is out of the case like turning your hands or checking the day/date function for example it is easy to dislocate the two peice diver set up which could result in damage to the stem or lost parts like the washer that holds the spring in place, so the dress stem is just easier and more positive IMO to use, i found that the two piece was a pain in the rear at times LoL

·
Registered
277 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I think that the 6309 stem must be one of the most common ones out there and so easy to obtain i wish the two piece diver one was as easy to get hold of !!

Looking on eBay, there seem to be a few of them coming out of, you guessed it, the Philippines...

·
Registered
61 Posts
does anyone know about how much a stem gasket would cost. i need the a stem,crown, gasket set, and i know a stem and crown are about 18.

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
se7en8n9ne said:
does anyone know about how much a stem gasket would cost. i need the a stem,crown, gasket set, and i know a stem and crown are about 18.
If you mean a crown gasket Jules Borels list them,

WATCH MATERIAL INTERCHANGE LIST
[tr][td]
[td] 0K0240B0A [/td]
[tr][td][/td][td] GASKET, CROWN [/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td] G283-1041 [/td][/tr][tr][td] Price Each[/td][td] $ 4.00[/td][/tr]
[/td][/tr]

·
Registered
61 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
If you mean a crown gasket Jules Borels list them,
:a102:

well i don't actually know hmmmm..... maybe i'm in over my head. i know i'm getting a movent that has no stem. so i posted on the trade post that i needed a stem and crown and someone said they had stem crown and gasket, i am clueless about all the gaskets i guess ??? . is there someplace a beginner could go to see like a diagram?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts