The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
29,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of starting the project properly September the 1st which is only 4 weeks away (scary) this should give most of us time to have soughted out what we need in the way of tools and watches etc, how does that sound to every one ?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sounds fine to me, but can you give us an idea of how this is going to go, where do we start and what we are supposed to have in the end (apart from a bunch of loose parts, scratched dials and bent seconds hands...)?
;)
Cheers,

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was actually wondering this myself. Sept. 1 is perfect for me. I plan on getting a worthy 6309 to use as a test hack for this project, with the Tuna 6309/7549 as the recipient of the new skillset.

Again, great idea.

Best,

Mike

·
Administrator
29,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As i see it we/us/you can finish up with what ever you want, me I picked up what appears to be an all original 6309-704X (not received it yet) specifically for this project and my idea is that at the end of the project i will have a fully restored original 6309 but as we progress through the project you guys can either go for original or a personal mod, with dials, hands, insert of your choice totally up to you but which ever way you all decide to go you will be using the same basic methods, your imagination can run wild or you can be boring like me and go for original :) .

No doubt one or two of us at the end of the project will have some spares for sale such has bent second hands etc :) but that is all part of the learning curve.

The idea for this "project" came from some of the posts on the main forum, such has how do i remove my crown and stem, how do i change a crystal, how do i remove the bezel, how do i replace my gaskets etc etc to some of you guys it will just be bread and butter stuff but to others it might open up a new WIS World showing them how to do there own bits of watch work and it does give greater satisfaction when it is all your own work whether it be perfect or ok the main thing is YOU are happy ;)

At this point i think i better insert some small print in the way of a disclaimer !!!

Any one taking part in this project is NOT covered by any insurance either for personal injury or damage to watches or parts there in by signing up you accept full liability for your own actions and you accept that any guidance freely given is not necessarily to be acted on, any actions you take are at your own risk !!!

Please take the above into account before you continue with the "Project" also take note that I or the SCWF can not guarantee you a buyer for any damaged parts you have left over at the end of the project. :) :))

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sounds good Tiger, that's more or less what I had in mind: start with a used 6309-704x and end up with... something, while having fun and learning a lot on the way. :)
My used 6309-7040 is already in the mail, but I have no idea whether what I have bought is restoration worthy or not. Pictures when it arrives.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, a September start sounds good for me. I've found what looks to be a decent specimen on eBay (from Australia no less!) and have bought some cheap tools from DealExtreme.
I'm a bit wary of the cheap tools as my experience has taught me that you pay twice for cheap tools - once when you buy them and then again when you buy some decent tools, but the price difference here for something that may be a one-off exercise is too great to ignore.

For what it's worth, I'm torn between doing a restore to original condition or going for a tasty mod - I really like the look of some of the Desert Divers I've seen here, there's something about the overall look with a matte metal finish, a cream dial and a faded tan band that appeals to me - and they're not normally colours I'd go anywhere near!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
This is the one i have on the way, picked it up on Ebay because it looked the ideal watch for this project.

[img]
[/quote]
Tiger,
That one looks like an ideal candidate because so far my inexperienced eyes tell me that:
[list type=decimal]
The day and date wheels seem to be bright white and not stained, and perfectly aligned. Perhaps that's wishful thinking but if the movement is as good as the day/date wheels it may not require much in the way of a service.
The dial seems original, and if so, probably the hands are too.
The case and case back haven't been polished to oblivion.
[/list]Apart from that, the crystal would require a good polish (or even better, a sapphire replacement) and the bezel insert could be replaced with a nice new one.
Am I correct in my assumptions so far?
Cheers,

·
Administrator
29,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ADB said:
Tiger,
That one looks like an ideal candidate because so far my inexperienced eyes tell me that:

• The day and date wheels seem to be bright white and not stained, and perfectly aligned. Perhaps that's wishful thinking but if the movement is as good as the day/date wheels it may not require much in the way of a service.
    The dial seems original, and if so, probably the hands are too.
    The case and case back haven't been polished to oblivion.
Apart from that, the crystal would require a good polish (or even better, a sapphire replacement) and the bezel insert could be replaced with a nice new one.
Am I correct in my assumptions so far?
Cheers,
As Sherlock Holmes would say, "Watson my dear fellow you have it in one" ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
I was thinking of starting the project properly September the 1st which is only 4 weeks away (scary) this should give most of us time to have soughted out what we need in the way of tools and watches etc, how does that sound to every one ?

4 weeks! Where's the year gone!

Sounds pretty good, putting in an order with Luka and Pete, had a bit of contact with Rob over at Monsterwatches too so parts should be more or less on time...

Tools, though..... still window shopping!!

Cheers, H

·
Administrator
29,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pseikofan said:
Is servicing the 6309 movement beyond the scope of this project?
There is nothing to say that we can't service the movement as well, perhaps be a good idea to pick up a cheap 6309 dress watch so that we have some spare movement parts if needed ??

·
Registered
61 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
There is nothing to say that we can't service the movement as well, perhaps be a good idea to pick up a cheap 6309 dress watch so that we have some spare movement parts if needed ??
Eventually moving on to servicing the movement would be a great idea.

Col

·
Registered
277 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
Am I correct in assuming that any of the 6309-XXXX watches share the same movement?
I've soured (what appears to be) a decent condition 6309-7040 on eBay for around $80 USD but if the movement isn't in as good a condition as it looks in the photos, it'd be good to have another cheaper source for the innards...

·
Registered
58 Posts
kai_h said:
Am I correct in assuming that any of the 6309-XXXX watches share the same movement?
I've soured (what appears to be) a decent condition 6309-7040 on eBay for around $80 USD but if the movement isn't in as good a condition as it looks in the photos, it'd be good to have another cheaper source for the innards...

If you do really need to swap the movement, there are a fair few 6309 dress watches at low enough prices to use as a donor, you'll just need to ensure that you get one with the crown at 4 o'clock. That's pretty much it!

I saw a few NOS 6309 calibre dress watches recently at around £40 / €48 / $62 so you shouldn't expect to pay anymore, a good condition used donor can be had for less still.

cheers, H

·
Registered
292 Posts
howie77 said:
If you do really need to swap the movement, there are a fair few 6309 dress watches at low enough prices to use as a donor, you'll just need to ensure that you get one with the crown at 4 o'clock. That's pretty much it!

I saw a few NOS 6309 calibre dress watches recently at around £40 / €48 / $62 so you shouldn't expect to pay anymore, a good condition used donor can be had for less still.

cheers, H
If you already have a 6309 movement with 4 o'clock crown, your donor watch doesn't need to have a 4 o'clock crown. You can swap the day/date wheels from your 6309 diver movement to the donor dress movement.
I think the hour wheel and centre wheel may be different on the dress watches, providing different clearances above the dial. If so, these may also need to be swapped. Having said that, I've fitted a couple of dress movements into diver cases without a problem.
Cheers
Dave

·
Administrator
29,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
howie77 said:

cheers, H
You often see many 6309s in varies guises going for $10 or so, as Dave also said the 4 o'clock crown isent important because you can swap day and date wheels but if you are going to be messing more with divers then a 4 o'clock crown movement is handy because it gives you spare day/date wheels ;)

It seems you can never have enough spares in this "game". :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts