The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is just a list of suggested tools that will come in handy, i always try to buy the best tools i can afford at the time, i don't always get the best due to cost but i try, good screwdrivers are a must IMO.
I have a rubber ball case back remover that I use first and foremost as i hate damaged backs but if this will not undo a really tight case back then i use Jaxa type tool in a case holder fixed in a vice.

Tooth picks have lots of uses.

Bezel knife for removing bezel and crystal retaining ring.

Movement holder for holding the movement when out of the case, again i find a quality holder much better than the cheapies you see..

Hand removing and replacing tools, again i use quality ones.

Rodico and tweezers again with tweezers i have found that quality ones are 100% better than the cheapies, took me a while to realize this but so glad i did LoL

For a start a good 1.00mm screwdriver is ideal.

Crystal/bezel press with plastic dies, i find the cheap ones of these do a great job and mine has paid for its self over and over..

• Case back tool/tools
    Bezel tool
    movement holder
    Hand removing tools
    Hand replacing tools
    Screw driver
    Crystal/bezel press
    Grease.
    Tweezers
    Tooth picks

[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]
[img]

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Re: Restore/mod 6309 project: Suggested tools tools.

Hi,
What's a good source for the Seiko silicon grease and greaser?
Thanks,

·
Registered
58 Posts

Given the choice of tweezers over at Watchtool and Cousins, any quick suggestion as to sizes ie a fine or super fine tip and a numbered for instance?

cheers, Howie

·
Registered
119 Posts

I find that Dumont no.1 tweezers are perfect for everything except manipulating hairsprings, on modern automatics.

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

howie77 said:
Given the choice of tweezers over at Watchtool and Cousins, any quick suggestion as to sizes ie a fine or super fine tip and a numbered for instance?

cheers, Howie
Hi Howie, i personally use Dumont #2 and #3.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Part 2: Restore/mod 6309 project: Suggested tools tools.

John,

What about magnification? What do you use? Glasses with a magnifier?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Dan,
I use one of these magnifying Lamps pretty cheap and I get on with it well, tried a couple of other methods but just dident work for me.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Thanks John! I need to order one of those.

·
Registered
58 Posts

clockworks said:
I find that Dumont no.1 tweezers are perfect for everything except manipulating hairsprings, on modern automatics.

TheTigerUK said:
Hi Howie, i personally use Dumont #2 and #3.

Thanks Steve, John

Howie

·
Registered
34 Posts

I picked up some of my basic tools from a local Harbor Freight store (USA), including a crystal press, case opener, and a set of loupes. Found most of the other tools on eBay. I also bought some tweezers from Dealextreme that turned out better than expected. These tweezers (here and here) grip well and have a nice soft feel to them. I've never used professional grade tweezers before but I figure I couldn't lose with the prices these cost. DX also sells a dust blower and screwdriver set.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Ah, yes. Dealextreme.

Here are some more tools on DX that may be useful - I haven't purchased them (nor done any real work on watches) so can't comment on them, but for getting started with this project, I'm considering dropping $30 on some of these.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19919
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3552
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15502
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16184

Total - just under $30 inc. shipping.

Now to look for a bezel/crystal press...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

I just ordered this item from DealExtreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35607

(Eye Glasses 1.5/2.5/3.5 Magnifier with LED Light)
and I'll report on it once I have received it.

About the Gooi tweezers from DealExtreme: imho they are decent quality tweezers for their (negligible) price, stainless steel and antimagnetic. I had ordered them previously.

I also just ordered a Bergeon case opening knife from eBay seller LITSO_101, again will report on it once I have received it.

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

pseikofan said:
I picked up some of my basic tools from a local Harbor Freight store (USA), including a crystal press, case opener, and a set of loupes. Found most of the other tools on eBay. I also bought some tweezers from Dealextreme that turned out better than expected. These tweezers (here and here) grip well and have a nice soft feel to them. I've never used professional grade tweezers before but I figure I couldn't lose with the prices these cost. DX also sells a dust blower and screwdriver set.
Great price for the press, just not worth messing about with make do's when you can get one for that price.

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always think of this by Ruskin when buying anything.

• It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money—that is all. When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do ... If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”
    — John Ruskin (1819-1900)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, it's a mixed bag with DealExtreme. I've bought some great items from them before (usually name-brand stuff) and I've bought some absolute crap as well.
Some of the no-name items have been outstandingly good and some have been useless.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36383
Oh, and I've just discovered this $30 kit for watch repairs that has
Package included:
- 1 * Watch case opener knife
- 1 * Watch case opener
- 1 * 3 pins punch tools
- 1 * Plier
- 1 * Plastic base
- 1 * Steel hammer
- 1 * Link remover tool
- 1 * Steel tweezers
- 1 * Spring bar tool (62 mm& 82mm)
- 3 * PNP Screwdrivers
- 3 * PNP mini spring bar tool
- 1 * Small screwdriver
- 1 * Small plastic kit case with replacement tips
- 1 * Eye loupe
- 1 * Band holder
- 1 * Cleaning cloth
- Come with tool kit carrying box

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At $30 you are not being robbed.

I have found that i would rather pay £15 ($22) for one Bergeon screwdriver than pay £5 for 10 no name cheap soft ones, and for a long time i hated using steel tweezers (i had cheap ones ??? ) because of the number of flyers i had, because to me tweezers were tweezers but when i picked up a couple of Dumont ones the difference was really staggering.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hear you re: screwdrivers. I do a lot of work with computers and went out and bought the best electrician-grade screwdrivers I could find. I paid something like $17 for a single #1 Philips screwdriver, but it's got screws out that other screwdrivers wouldn't budge, and it's never camed out a screw for me...

I am still quite wary of the DX toolkit, but to get it all in one kit for thirty bucks - it'll at least let me see what tools I actually need to use and then I can get good quality versions of them individually should I continue tinkering with watches...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought a kit similar on ebay. Stay away. Many of the parts look to be the same and they are extremely cheap and of dubious quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there...

TOOLS! I'm playing catch up, so I have a few questions...

Hand removing/replacing tools. Are these the same thing? By good quality, are you talking Bergeon Presto? What # would we need?

Can anyone recommend a good quality movement holder?

Screwdrivers - Bergeon, I take it. Can anyone recommend getting a 5 screwdriver set (0.50-1.25) £35 over a single 1.00 for about £9. I mean I can do the math, but how useful are the other screwdrivers?

Crystal press. Can anyone link to a good one to get (I don't want to end up getting something shoddy just because it's cheap).

I like the idea of that lamp, on ebay for about £25. They have a bunch of them. It's magnification is 3 dipoters (something to do with focal length, don't ask me, I'm an idiot). Is this sufficient for the project, or will we end up needing a 1.5 or 2.5 loupe?

Thanks, guys.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts