1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

• “Project” 6309 !!
    Strip & clean the main case.

Tools needed bezel knife.

• Rotate the bezel and find the cut out, this is a small section underneath the bezel that has been factory ground away to assist removal.

• When I have located it I always turn it round until it is at the 12 position, now slide the blade into the recess and work it along a little while twisting the blade and the bezel will come away from the case.

• Also in the previous step you can place some tape/paper on the case under the bezel tool to prevent damage to the case.

• Now the bezel is off you can see the crystal retaining ring this also has a recess ground into the bottom face, find the recess and again insert your bezel tool into it and gently prize the retainer off.

• Now just push the crystal out from the back of the case, often on a old watch the crystal gasket will come out with the crystal (with this one all three came out together), then there is the thin metal shim that the gasket sits on to come out followed by the chapter ring.

• After inspecting the case I will now drop it into the ultrasonic cleaner along with the bezel, retaining ring and crown/stem for a few cycles to remove any gunk or dirt.
Observations:
The crystal badly marked and will be replaced I am going to use one of Harolds flat sapphires on this one for a change.

The click ball and spring are missing but I have a set of OEM spares to use so no problem replacing them.

The crystal retaining ring is dirty but in good condition.

The bezel was very loose and the gasket had disintegrated and was no longer there.

To remove the insert basically just prize it away from the bezel, if you are going to reuse the insert then it is best to work around the bezel a little at a time so as not to bend the insert by trying to get it all out at once.

The original insert is poor so again I will be replacing it with more than likely one of Harold’s that he has had made very close to the original specifications, I have used the ones from the 007 (OEM) in the past but I think the big dot looks better, obviously any of the numerous inserts that are available from many sources can also be used, Noah has a good range if you fancy something different at this stage. But for me I want this to be as near original looking as I can (going to be a keeper spare).

The case in general shows it’s age so I will do some refinishing to get it looking better if I can.

[IMG]

Disclaimer.
At no time do I say my methods are the correct way, best way, proper way or the only way just that these methods work for me [font=Wingdings]J[/font] [font=Wingdings]J[/font] [font=Wingdings]J[/font] you copy or use these methods at your own risk [font=Wingdings]J[/font]

Why have this project? Two reasons,
[list]
To perhaps help some of you guys to do a little more to your watches and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Ulterior motive of mine to pick up tips from others [font=Wingdings]J[/font]
[/list]

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is the chapter ring made of? I expected it to be plastic but it feels heavier than that. Painted brass?

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cwood said:
What is the chapter ring made of? I expected it to be plastic but it feels heavier than that. Painted brass?
As you say painted brass as you can take the paint off and polish up the metal as i have seen done a few times.

·
Registered
658 Posts
what about those of us without an ultrasonic cleaner ... what do they cost, and a source/brand?
great pics and explanations so far btw John thanks

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arco_10 said:
what about those of us without an ultrasonic cleaner ... what do they cost, and a source/brand?
great pics and explanations so far btw John thanks
Hi Ross the ultrasonic cleaner i bought from the bay was about £20/$30 and a good investment for the $$$, cleans loads of things, watch parts, bracelets, jewellery etc etc and does a good job.

I just use warm water and washing up liquid for the case parts and bracelets.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just a quick word on Ultra Sonic Cleaners....

I too bought a "decent" one for around $30USD a few years ago (looks exactly like John's) and used it quite a bit to clean my modeling airbrushes and supplies. Funny thing happened though after about a year's worth of use (I'd clean parts at least once a week)---the entire lid, hinge, outer shell and basket basically cracked and fell apart. I think the vibrations weakened the plastic to failure and I had to toss it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that tidbit. I am going to buy a much better one this time. These cheap ones are only good for occasional usage, but not high volume work.

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm also interested in ultra sonic cleaners. I've seen the economy ones but I'm wondering if the additional expense is warranted for a commercial unit? I would expect it to last longer but will it also clean better? Any thoughts?
Tom

Borrowed photo

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SeikoPsycho2 said:
I'm also interested in ultra sonic cleaners. I've seen the economy ones but I'm wondering if the additional expense is warranted for a commercial unit? I would expect it to last longer but will it also clean better? Any thoughts?
Tom

Borrowed photo
I don't know but i would assume they would last longer and perhaps clean better even though the cheap machines seem to do a good job IMO but at something like 10 or 15 times the price !!! I don't know and at that sort of cost for how often i use mine I can afford to buy a new cheap one every year but...........as with all tools you get what you pay for and in my experience the better the tool the better the job it does.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As I take it all apart, there are a number of gaskets that I'm sure will need replacing.

So far I've counted one on the caseback (or should be, but wasn't one there in my case) one for the crystal and one for the bezel.
Do we have a good source for these replacement items?

Cheers,
Kai

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kai_h said:
As I take it all apart, there are a number of gaskets that I'm sure will need replacing.

So far I've counted one on the caseback (or should be, but wasn't one there in my case) one for the crystal and one for the bezel.
Do we have a good source for these replacement items?

Cheers,
Kai
There are a few source's for the gaskets depending on whether you want OEM or after market, Rob or Luka great service for OEM, Jake for after market or you can get some of them from the likes of Borels or ebay.

The after market are a lot cheaper than the OEM, I have used both and got on with them fine but if i was going to dive i would go for the OEM but I honestly don't know if they perform any better.

·
Registered
277 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
There are a few source's for the gaskets depending on whether you want OEM or after market, Rob or Luka great service for OEM, Jake for after market or you can get some of them from the likes of Borels or ebay.

The after market are a lot cheaper than the OEM, I have used both and got on with them fine but if i was going to dive i would go for the OEM but I honestly don't know if they perform any better.
Can we start another thread to gather information about what parts to get from who and how to contact them? Then as we progress through this exercise, we can easily get in touch with the relevant merchants to get the parts we need?

·
Administrator
29,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kai_h said:
Can we start another thread to gather information about what parts to get from who and how to contact them? Then as we progress through this exercise, we can easily get in touch with the relevant merchants to get the parts we need?
Check through this post again there are quite a few details in it.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,6620.0.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Figured I put my pics in the wrong place.

Movement out:

Crystal out

Parts before cleaning:

New little electrostatic cleaner I picked up at Otto Frei's (discovered very near my hotel in San Fran this week while there on business)

Post cleaning. (I think a toothbrush and soap would clean just as well as ultrasonic)

After some light polishing and a ding removal: I used dry wet sandpaper 300, 600, and 1000 grit to remove a ding. Followed by polishing with a cotton wheel and compound.

·
Registered
222 Posts
cwood said:
I bought an ultrasonic like John's just this past week while in San Fran. This is the one I bought: http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=13260&cat=0&page=1
Seems to work quite well.

[/quote]

Hi cwood, just to be clear on my remarks, yes these units will do a good job. It was only after prolonged use that the plastic started to crack and deteriorate. Everyone's mileage will vary of course, but wanted to give a heads-up if anyone was thinking of deciding between the low-priced and higher-priced ones. I'm going to get one that at least has a metal liner inside, but that is because I'll put it to a lot of use between this hobby and my other one.

Your watch clean-up'd nicely. :great:

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Mike

The inside is stainless (the bin) but the lid is all plastic. I figured ok for infrequent use. We shall see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to be clear John, you used soap and a dash of washing up liquid (dish soap) in your cleaner rather than cleaning fluid?

In your opinion, there's no cheap safe way of cleaning this stuff otherwise? (i.e. the cost of the parts we break will be more than a cleaner).

·
Registered
80 Posts
lalanda said:
Just to be clear John, you used soap and a dash of washing up liquid (dish soap) in your cleaner rather than cleaning fluid?

In your opinion, there's no cheap safe way of cleaning this stuff otherwise? (i.e. the cost of the parts we break will be more than a cleaner).
From my perspective, now having one, I would say that the ultrasonic cleaners don't do anything magic. I would say a convenience because they get in all the nooks etc. With a bare case, a good soapy soaking and toothbrush will get you the same result. A mild abrasive like toothpaste may also help. Now, movement parts is different....so small it would be hard to brush them :). For them I found the ultrasonic to be great.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts