The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Special Member
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been giving much thought to getting a 6309 diver, and recently came across not one, but two at a pawn shop. I think the price was reasonable given their condition (and especially reasonable when you consider it was a pawn shop!) - and am hoping that these two can be a good learning experience as I wade into the 6309 diver realm. I'd welcome (and, in fact, appreciate!) any input as to the originality of the hands, dial, etc. Some observations on the two:

Strapless: Bezel clicks firmly and turns freely with what appears to be the correct amount of resistance. The crown screws down firmly and smoothly with 4 rolls of the tumb (about 2.5-3 turns, I'd guess). The hands are somwhat corroded, but the dial is very clean. It runs but loses about 5 min/day. Observing the two movements side by side, it clearly has low amplitude. It also is much louder than the other watch.

Strapped: Bezel click ball is missing, but bezel turns freely. The crown screws down only about 1 turn and is difficult to catch - worn threads I believe :( . The hands are clean and the dial is clean with the exception of marks in the lume of the 12, 1, and 8 markers. The markers are also much more yellowed on this one. It runs but loses about 18 sec/day.

I'm of the mind that these may end up combining into one watch, taking the best bits from both, and keeping the other around for parts. Either way, a decent learning experience I hope. First order of business is to have the movements serviced. Can anyone recommend a shop (or a fellow forum member) who could undertake servicing the movements? Cheers!

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Well these look perfect...well on the strapped on...you might just have a bad crown..i have one if you need it..i will gladly donate it to the cause...the click ball can be replaced with a little work...you just need to see if the spring is still there...the click ball might just be stuck...with a little work you will have two very nice 6309's...great find...God Bless John...if you need anything just pm me..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good find.

Sorry, can't help you on originality of hands, etc.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
hey i forgot to mention...all parts look original and untouched...and the cases look very nice too...with a little elbow grease they will look amazing....the dials are original for sure...look at the bevel in the day and date window...correct font on dials..i would not overdue the restoration...keep it as original with a good service ....genuine bands and new seals and gaskets and maybe new crystals and you have two great watches...i have had a few and traded one away and just sold the last one...they are the watches most people here have a few of ...the original ones always hold their value...and are very easy to sell or trade when you want too..God Bless John

·
Registered
50 Posts
'Strapless' watch looks like it has got much potential for turning into a beauty! I think a general service, change of gaskets and a replacement crystal will have it serve you well as an everyday watch. Might be hard finding an original bezel insert for the other though.

·
Special Member
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input!

John - I would love to take you up on the crown offer - the case tube threads look okay; can't get a good look at the crown threads, but have to think they're the problem. Also, click ball is gone but the spring is still there, so that's a small win. I will PM you.

Gaskets and a crystal seem easily sourced. Any thoughts/suggestions on who can service the movement(s) for me?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
hey use high quality gaskets and seals and a very good quality crystals too...these are well worth the few dollars spent to make them right again...God Bless John..the crown is yours...

·
Special Member
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LongBike - I agree, and especially given the input thus far, I think your math checks out ;)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have a 6309 I put together from tired looking parts a couple years ago. Intentionally rough looking. If you ever think about changing out that bezel and insert on the one (you know the one), let me know, I'd love to add it to my "Wabi King" 6309.

·
Special Member
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 6309 I put together from tired looking parts a couple years ago. Intentionally rough looking. If you ever think about changing out that bezel and insert on the one (you know the one), let me know, I'd love to add it to my "Wabi King" 6309.
Wabi King - I like that notion. If I spruce up the rougher one with a new bezel at some point, the old one's all yours.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Wabi King - I like that notion. If I spruce up the rougher one with a new bezel at some point, the old one's all yours.
Here it is in all its deficient glory:

Banged up case, intentionally gross hands SCWF donated, and a grungy dial. I love to do yardwork in it because I know I can't 'hurt' it.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
there is nothing more beautiful that a good honest watch

·
Registered
6 Posts
I concur, wabi is tha bomb and is as a badge of honor for a ole work horse. Keep just like it is and you will always get what you want if you ever decide to part with that beauty. Great find, wished I could happen across a find like that.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well I happen to know a handsome young man that happens to have a NOS Seiko 86019671 rotating bezel still in the original package if you ever decide to get that ugly faded out bezel changed out and get that nice little 6309 looking respectable again.:)

Michael:grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts