The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Craftsman
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something a bit different for me. Recently completed service on this lovely 70 Seiko 6117-6409 World Time GMT for a client. The inner rotating bezel was not working correctly and upon inspection found some water ingress at the stem which had badly corroded the stem gear. I spent about an hour disassembling the crown and stem assembly hoping to salvage the stem and crown. Alas, found the crown was aftermarket with different thread pitch and the stem would be too short with a new crown. Had to source all new parts for the crown, stem, and gear assembly.

The teeth on the inner rotating bezel were roached and I thought we would need a whole new bezel but Seiko did something interesting here. The inner bezel is actually made of metal and is keyed to accept a separate plastic gear ring on the underside. With part number in hand, trying to source this unusual part would not be easy. A shout out to Arin at Seikosis for making this unusual part in the aftermarket for World Time watches. Part in hand and installed, the bezel now functions perfectly with the new crown and stem assembly.

Only other issues found were a worn upper mainspring arbor bushing in the upper train bridge replaced with a new one. Also found the lower pinion tip for the escape wheel was snapped off. Installed a replacement escape wheel. Very pleased with the outcome here. These World Times are highly coveted by Seiko collectors so it is nice to bring this one back to functional reliability. Thanks for looking.

Found Faults:

Repairs:

Service:

Timing and Regulation:

Final Assembly:

·
Craftsman
4,233 Posts
Nice work as always John!
I've got a few of these in nice wearable condition and a project box of 3 that are in need of service. Hopefully I'll find the time to bring a couple of them back on line in the near future.

·
Craftsman
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work as always John!
I've got a few of these in nice wearable condition and a project box of 3 that are in need of service. Hopefully I'll find the time to bring a couple of them back on line in the near future.
These are very nice timepieces Tom. I see threads on these World Timers and I actually have a 6117 Navitimer GMT in my collection but I have not had the opportunity to work on many. This one turned out nice and I hope the owner will enjoy putting it on wrist with a new lease on life.

·
Special Member
8,974 Posts
So with the 6117-6410 Navigator Timer, which one would expect would cross over directly to the World Time -6409, I did this research a while back.

The original set-up of a metal ring with the plastic ring riding on top was changed to an all-plastic set up along the way.

Bicycle part Font Automotive tire Rim Material property

Underside view:
Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Finger food

Photo on left is the 2-peice sandwich of metal ring and plastic topper ring, on the right the 1-peice all plastic ring. Same thickness.

Calipers Measuring instrument Gauge Gas Machine

·
Craftsman
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with the 6117-6410 Navigator Timer, which one would expect would cross over directly to the World Time -6409, I did this research a while back.

The original set-up of a metal ring with the plastic ring riding on top was changed to an all-plastic set up along the way.

View attachment 493811

Underside view:
View attachment 493812

Photo on left is the 2-peice sandwich of metal ring and plastic topper ring, on the right the 1-peice all plastic ring. Same thickness.

View attachment 493813
Great info Jon. When I first looked into the case before disassembly my heart sank for the owner as I really felt the entire bezel was toast and a new one would have to be sourced. To my surprise, the bezel was two pieces with the insert being made of metal and the gear teeth ring keyed to fit underneath in plastic. I did buy an aftermarket replacement bezel in plastic and it was pretty nice but not a one to one match in terms of the layout of the graphics. Did not get a chance to take a side by side pic. Just glad I did not have to scrap the very nice original rotating ring on this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting one of the world timers. I tend to buy projects and rebuild them myself .
Anyone have advice on what would be a dealbreaker for this series? I have no problem with good quality aftermarket parts as I keep my watches and I don’t often like patina for the most part.

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast

·
Craftsman
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 Series Seikos. Cosmetics first. Dial and inner bezel with little to no fade. Case with sharp lines. I would want one where the bezel rotates 360 with the crown. Otherwise you run into the situation I had above and trying to source a new crown, stem, and gear assembly. These movements like other 6 series are subject to mainspring arbor port wear so jeweling the ports might be necessary. The 24hr hand is driven off a gear that sits on top of the hour wheel on the calendar side. Not much holding the gear to the movement other than a thin warped washer so I have heard the gear can be knocked out of position if the watch is jolted to hard. Nothing to break but an adjustment to the hands would be necessary if this happens. Do your homework.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Excellent work! This example is special for a few reasons:
  • The WATER RESIST case back is rare. Likely only used from Feb through perhaps August of 1970, and only on 6117-6409 models, not the 6117-6400. Before that they were WATER PROOF and after they were WATER RESISTANT
  • This example has WORLD TIME at 6-o'clock, an uncommon dial version, and rare on the 6409 sub-model - and only done in some pre-1971 dials.
  • The dial and bezel look to be authentic and correct to the production date
I may have to send my next few to you to work on!

EDIT: For reference, the 6117-640X had a relatively long production run - from at least Nov 1969 through at least Dec 1976

·
Registered
160 Posts
I’ve been thinking of getting one of the world timers. I tend to buy projects and rebuild them myself .
Anyone have advice on what would be a dealbreaker for this series? I have no problem with good quality aftermarket parts as I keep my watches and I don’t often like patina for the most part.
Some aftermarket parts are completely reasonable, even desirable, like that plastic ring for rotating the bezel. I would try and avoid aftermarket dial or cities bezel - they just aren't as good. To the extent originality is a factor - this may be helpful:

·
Craftsman
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent work! This example is special for a few reasons:
  • The WATER RESIST case back is rare. Likely only used from Feb through perhaps August of 1970, and only on 6117-6409 models, not the 6117-6400. Before that they were WATER PROOF and after they were WATER RESISTANT
  • This example has WORLD TIME at 6-o'clock, an uncommon dial version, and rare on the 6409 sub-model - and only done in some pre-1971 dials.
  • The dial and bezel look to be authentic and correct to the production date
I may have to send my next few to you to work on!

EDIT: For reference, the 6117-640X had a relatively long production run - from at least Nov 1969 through at least Dec 1976
Excellent info and thank you. I will pass this on to the owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts