The Watch Site banner

Who do you THINK will win the world cup?


  • Total voters
    347
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As written, I do not want to know, who you WISH will win the WC, but who you THINK or BELIEVE will win it (for the ignorant: were're talking about football)!
I think Spain has the best team, but Argentina will win. Why? A European team never managed to win a worl title outside of Europe, and I cannot see any reason why this should change.
I would be more than pleased, if Brazil would win, but I think the Gauchos might be a fraction stronger this year (for sure they have the most incredible strikers).
So what's your honest opinion?

Cheers,

Axel

P.S there's a potential round 2 match Germany against England! ;D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,123 Posts
Axel66 said:
As written, I do not want to know, who you WISH will win the WC, but who you THINK or BELIEVE will win it (for the ignorant: were're talking about football)!
I think Spain has the best team, but Argentina will win. Why? A European team never managed to win a world title outside of Europe, and I cannot see any reason why this should change.
I would be more than pleased, if Brazil would win, but I think the Gauchos might be a fraction stronger this year (for sure they have the most incredible strikers).
So what's your honest opinion?

Cheers,

Axel

P.S there's a potential round 2 match Germany against England! ;D
Got to give it a lot more thought Axel but i am banking on Ferdinand to be our top scorer LoL

I think Englands first match is against the USA and that will be a tough match i think !! especially if they use there rounders bats !! :))
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
I hope Brazil wins. But I would like to see another team coming from the rear of the pack and surprising everyone. I personally don't want Argentina to win. Their fans are too arrogant for my taste. I wish my homeland of Colombia would have been represented in this World Cup because I think we play competitive football, but in past WC the national team likes to play a "pretty" game but they fail at "assembling" the play needed to put the ball well inside the goallie. Can't wait fir this WC to start, the first ever in the African continent!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In fact I made up the poll list by the order of paly - so you're right: ENG : USA. I think you don't need Rio (he's injured, isn't he) scoring to win that one, although the opening matches are tough whoever you play!
The US team lives from enthusiasm, but the English have Terry, Gerard, Lampard, Rooney,... o.k. would be time for England to have a great Goalie again (last one I could remember might have been Shilton). ;D

Cheers,

Axel
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,123 Posts
Axel66 said:
In fact I made up the poll list by the order of paly - so you're right: ENG : USA. I think you don't need Rio (he's injured, isn't he) scoring to win that one, although the opening matches are tough whoever you play!
The US team lives from enthusiasm, but the English have Terry, Gerard, Lampard, Rooney,... o.k. would be time for England to have a great Goalie again (last one I could remember might have been Shilton). ;D

Cheers,

Axel
Your right Axel i don't think Ferdinand will be missed as much as they say, he has had a poor year and been injured allot as well.

I am not a defeatist but..............England tend to raise our hopes and then dash them awfully quick as well ???

Did you see the Japan game ? they raised our hopes !!! :'( :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
minidriver said:
I hope Brazil wins....
I'd also wish the Seleção would make it, but I simply cannot believe it this time.

Cheers,

Axel

P.S. I'm German, but I flooded my home country with tears, after the greatest ever team (of course I'm talking about Zico, Falcao, Eder, Socrates, etc) lost against Italy 1982. Four years later it was also a tragedy, but imho the '82 team was the best ever, better than the '70 team and for sure better than the '58 team ( I do not consider the '62, '94 and '02 teams, as they didn't deserve to win imho. ::) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheTigerUK said:
...England tend to raise our hopes and then dash them awfully quick as well ...
But with Capello, that could be a better year!
England biggest enemy is the own yellow press, where nobody seems to have a clue of football!
The team itself wasn't as bad. You can loose against Portugal.
O.k., not qualifying for the Euro was a disaster, but that's exactly where England can pull out some psychological strength from (as they seem to do in the qualifiers)!

Cheers,

Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TheTigerUK said:
In theory we have a GREAT chance and it will be an interesting tournament (I hope).

I quite liked your 66 team Axel !! :) ;)
yep, but wether the 3rd English goal was legit or not - it doesn't matter. The English were a tiny bit better that day, I have to admit!
4 years later it was different, though. :)
But it says all, when I tell you that the most beloved English player in Germany still is Keegan (and not Stuart Pierce or the great Chris Waddle ;) )

The only important match I can remeber, where both teams played horrible was the one in 2000 in Belgium.

Cheers,

Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seikosonic said:
John, I think this has to do with soccer or something like that. Some announcer shouting GOAAAAAAL! Wasn't Andy Capp a soccer player? ;D
What the f.. is soccer?

There's the American Football (who ever believes it's a men's sport, has my sympathy)
There's Aussie football (which is crazy, but at least a men's sport)
There's gaelic football (which is a classic!)
There's real football (where the players behave like girls, but it attracts half of the world!)

What of those you call su(o)cker?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right John! Sorry for being too emotional!
It's just that I love football!

Cheers,

Axel ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,557 Posts
I honestly, genuinely believe that England have a shout this year. Shame that Rio Ferdinand is out, but I think King and Dawson would be better in there with Terry anyway. Can't believe we left Adam Johnson at home :(


England are great however at breaking my heart, and if they do that again I think that Spain or Italy will be at the head of the table...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
Axel66 said:
I'd also wish the Seleção would make it, but I simply cannot believe it this time.

Cheers,

Axel

P.S. I'm German, but I flooded my home country with tears, after the greatest ever team (of course I'm talking about Zico, Falcao, Eder, Socrates, etc) lost against Italy 1982. Four years later it was also a tragedy, but imho the '82 team was the best ever, better than the '70 team and for sure better than the '58 team ( I do not consider the '62, '94 and '02 teams, as they didn't deserve to win imho. ::) )

Axel, I well remember Spain 1982. I was 11 at the time but I do remember that World Cup like it had been just yesterday.....


Zico, Falcao, Socrates (The Doctor), Eder, Platini, Rossi.... All the living legends of the 20th century football were there!!!!


Mexico 1986 was also very good. But Spain '82 was the best WC ever imho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,557 Posts
minidriver said:
Axel, I well remember Spain 1982. I was 11 at the time but I do remember that World Cup like it had been just yesterday.....


Zico, Falcao, Socrates (The Doctor), Eder, Platini, Rossi.... All the living legends of the 20th century football were there!!!!


Mexico 1986 was also very good. But Spain '82 was the best WC ever imho.

I wish to erase Mexico from my memory for ever.


Spain '82 was the 2nd best world cup after '66..... of course....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I see that some wildly optimistic voting has already taken place, the vote for Ghana I can understand, but 2 votes for England :D

I think it'll be Spain, who are very strong in all departments.

Yep I am English, but realism wins over patriotism :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
I was actually going down to the bookies today to put a modest wager on a Spain Vs Brazil Final.....with a Spainish win. If pushed for the score I might go 0-0 half time, 1-1 at full time and then a further 2 goals from Febregas in extra time as Brazil melt down and have 2 players sent off

I will be willing England on with my heart, but I bet with the rational part of my brain...
Regards
Jem
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top