The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to trim the monthly budget I've done away with my satellite radio. So now I've been listening to various podcasts during my one hour commute. I was interested what you guys might listen to. The books in the background give a clue to my other hobby. Anyone else study Erdnase?

In keeping with the Japanese topic, enjoy my SS Sami sporting Sumo hands.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Adam Carolla http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/ has a bunch of great podcasts if you like him, an interview style podcast, his Car cast (auto related) and a few other listed along the right side of the page. He's got a great wit.
This american life from NPR is good too, pick it up from Itunes.

Check out Itunes for a ton of cool and free Podcasts - no subscription required.

I feel your pain cutting your satellite radio, I'm a Sirius subscriber in my eighth year and couldn't do without it - I drive an hour to work each way and listen most all of the day through ear buds. I'd dump HBO/Cinemax from the satellite TV before the radio.

I just can't can't go back to commercials and the same old garbage they cram down your throat on regular radio. "Hey it's another wacky morning zoo, back right after the same ozzy tune and this 5 minute block of commercials... asleep

Satellite radio is like crack as far as i'm concerned, so superior to anything else it's tough to switch back.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had XM for more than 5 years and this past week's commute has been tough. AM is alright at times but with my drive I hit a lot of peaks and valleys plus there's not a lot to choose from. FM is a joke. Like you said, it's either a morning zoo crew, commercials or the same old classics tunes or Pop 40.

Thanks for the link, Corolla is cool. I guess I'll need to explore iTunes a bit further.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Radio is one of Irelands stronger points so day to day listening is no problem. But travellng drives me nuts these days so I save weekly programs as podcasts for those endless flights when you need to check out...

iTunes for me: click and clack are tops with CarTalk, then the BBC programs Football Phone in and their From Our Correspondant series.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I listen to a lot of audio books while driving- many can be downloaded for free.
I am on George Pelecanos's 'The Night Gardener' at the moment. I read the book a while back but the narrator on this is awesome.
Pelecanos is a great writer of modern crime stuff but he goes way beyond the crime genre in my opinion- his take on families and community are uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time, especially if you have kids.
His last 3 books have been books about modern time and the issues with 'family' but also have a great crime story interwoven into them
He wrote quite a bit for the TV series 'the Wire' too.
Regards
Jem

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The day the satallite radio goes is the day I get a slacker unit. Check out slacker.com I'm not sure if they have much talk radio as that isn't my thing. Its basically like an mp3/ipod player where you don't have to discover, buy and download on your own. Slacker has channels set up by genre and downloads playlists for each channel all by itself through a wireless connection. I believe the playlists are selected by a person and I also think they are updated every night. You can make custom channels where you select artists and the list will be enriched with those artists along with selections from similar artists. Finally you can also ban artists that sneak in throught the playlist so that they never appear again.

The basic unit costs $100 and the basic subscription is FREE. I listen on the computer and there are brief 30 second commercials every so often, but it isn't so bad. You can skip past songs you don't want to hear, but the free sub limits the skips per hour. The paid sub costs $5 per month and gives you unlimited skips as well as no commercials. With the portable unit you can also save songs to listen to later and I think this option is available for even the free sub, but not sure. You can also add your own music like any other player. The portable unit can save 25 slacker channels and has 1GB of space for personal storage. There is a larger unit, but it seems to be sold out now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark & Jem, I'm defenitly looking at some audio books.
NhoJ, sounds a little like Pandora? I listen to Pandora on the PC and on iPhone. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Currently, I'm big on anything related to nutrition and exercise. I'm on my way to becoming a Nutritionist, so those come as no surprise.

Other than those, I listen a few local and national sports podcasts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How long you been studying? Dai Vernon said expert was his bible. I've been at it almost 50 yrs. Good to see a fellow aficionado here. E-mail sometime at : rmherald at erols.com Look forward to hearing from you!
Rick

sportshooter said:
Trying to trim the monthly budget I've done away with my satellite radio. So now I've been listening to various podcasts during my one hour commute. I was interested what you guys might listen to. The books in the background give a clue to my other hobby. Anyone else study Erdnase?

In keeping with the Japanese topic, enjoy my SS Sami sporting Sumo hands.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Has too be -
Geekbrief: for catching up with new electronics.
There are also radio programs that i listen too.
Plus some skateboarding and surf video casts.
And i cant forget Dilbert or Pets.

But i would realy like it if there was a Boondocks video podcast.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick, what a small world. I didn't think anyone would respond. I've been at cards for nearly thirty years. Started with stripper and svengali at the age of 10 and I was hooked. I've been studying Erdnase for about 10 years, not necesssarily practicing every slight but studying Expert and trying to find out who the hell he is. So that started the research of the history of card manipulation and I've read many great authors. Again not to learn every slight but the nuances and the thinking. I really enjoy studying the art of cheating and the lifestyle that goes hand and hand. A few years ago I got into 3CM, extremely fun. I got side tracked and didn't get that great but had fun
studying S4S and Daryl.
I'm pretty rusty now but you've got me thinking of picking up a deck, putting in the time to get my seconds and bottoms back. So what tickles your fancy when it comes to pasteboard?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts