The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

As we drink ourselves into oblivion and pass red meat over fire on this first "official" weekend of Summer, let us not forget those very few who have sacrificed so very much for so very many others. There is no proper way to say "Thank You for your sacrifice" to the men and women who serve and have served our great nation.
My Dad was a Combat MP in WWII. These guys did things and went places no one else would and spoke very little of it afterward. He's gone now eleven and a half years. I never thanked him for his service and I miss his wise counsel nearly every day as I muddle through the rest of my own little life.

Thanks, Dad.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Hear! Hear!

My father was in the US Army 71st Division, which saw action in the ETO in 1945 and into 1946 occupation duties. His unit also participated in the liberation of concentration camps and my family still has the tiny "brownie" camera photos he took of the murdered inmates.

Gone 25 years now and still missed.

Attachments

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
It was the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk today in t he UK, 300,000 plus British armed forces rescued from the beaches by all sorts of craft big and small, hard to imagine what they went through, when i was a kid one or two of my pals dads were at Dunkirk and a uncle was taken prisoner on the march to Dunkirk and spent the rest of the war in various prison camps.

My dad died 4 year ago and i still miss him now, he was in the Army (Leicester Tigers) from early 40 to June 46 and saw action all over but he was just an ordinary (fantastic) guy really.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great life stories fellas. My father was on an aircraft carrier in the Korean War. He does not talk about it at all. I spent four years in the Coast Guard, and have memories I'll never forget.

Happy Memorial Day to all the Veterans, and currently serving members of our military.

I appreciate what you do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
valvestem said:
Happy Memorial Day to all the Veterans, and currently serving members of our military.

I appreciate what you do.
An emphatic +1!!

Thank God for those who purchase our freedom with their great sacrifice.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Great thread. My family has a long history in the Military. Both my Grand father and grandmother where in the navy during WWII (he in the pacific and she as a nurse stateside), and my father and uncles did as well in vietnam, and my brother is currently in the army. I'm proud of all of you guys.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Great thread! A salute to those in my family who served and paid the ultimate price.

These are my great-uncles. This picture was taken around 1945/46 when the last brother returned home from Europe.

This picture is my second cousin Joe. From what I was told this was taken sometime in June of 1945 in Normandy France. He and his entire tank crew were killed in action in January of 1945 in Belgium.

THANK YOU! To all that have served and currently serve.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
;) Happy Memorial Day ;)
To all those who served. My Dad was a B-17 mechanic in WWII and was a major influence on my affliction to Pilot watches...LOL. I remember so well as a kid getting dragged to every air show he could find. I sat in one of monsters at one show and thought to myself...This thing fly's???
So as a tribute to all the fly boy's out there..Here's some Pilot watches
:)
B-17 Heavy bomber

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I lost my grandfather almost two weeks ago. He served as an aircraft (P-51 "Mustang") mechanic in Detachment A of the 10th Airdrome Squadron in Austria. He was the finest human being I ever had the pleasure of meeting. May he, and others who have served and are no longer with us, rest in peace.

Myles

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Great Posts Pictures are meaningful, my Father Pacific 1942-1945 Medic Army Air Core, I grew up, seeing and feeling the Closeness
that Remained throughout his life, with his Army Buddies Till the day of his Death . He spoke little about the War, except to say "things
that Honored ALL.
He lived w/ great Pride, Honor Guard and Commander of a Post in the American Legion.

I like My Father, came home from War, not wanting to talk about it, but forever Changed, in ways many of you Understand.

To all of you, My Honor is given, and The V.A. con't to be Part of My Life, as in My Fathers life, for two generations, and now for
the Youth, coming home, is the Reason I stay Involved with the V.A. Oh yes besides the Fact that they are still Saving my Life. Lol

A Peaceful Memorial Day to all of you"

K

·
0 Posts
Jonathan, I lost 2 uncles in wars, one in Korea and the other in Viatnam. I wish I had there pictures. They were as real as I am now and nobody remembers them. My heart hearts thinking about them

·
Registered
82 Posts
What a great thread! My father was a Corporal in the USMC during the Battle of Iwo Jima. He was a member of E Company, 2nd Battalion, 27th Regiment of the 5th Marine Division (The Spearhead). His unit was part of the assult force that landed on Iwo Jima 19-Feb-1945.

Tribute to my father on the World War II Gyrene website.

God Bless all who have paid the ultimate price and who are willing to pay that price so that we may enjoy the freedoms we have today. Happy Memorial Day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts