The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: Last month I sold some old watch cases on the bay to a buyer for $278.00. Payment was received via Paypal. Item was shipped on June 10, 2010 via USPS with Delivery Confirmation. USPS confirmed that the shipment was delivered on June 12, 2010. 2 weeks later the buyer contacted me to that he has yet to receive the item. He had filed a dispute with Paypal. Paypal had just informed me that a delivery signature is require for anything above $250.00 which I just found out. Basically I am screwed out of $278.00! ???

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
SH*T! Wouldn't it be good of PayPal to make some sort of note to this effect on the payment confirmation page they send to we sellers upon payment? So sad that eBay/PayPal triple dips us on every sale then does nothing to protect when when a "buyer" steals the item.

For those unfamiliar with the "triple dip", PayPal is owned by eBay. eBay charges a listing fee, a final value fee and then takes a third cut via a PayPal fee for receiving your money.

With all this said, it's still the best way to collect money in a relatively pain-free fashion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OUCH! That's an expensive lesson. When I returned a watch back to a seller for refund, I made sure to get signature confirmation and insurance out of my pocket for extra piece of mind. Unfortunately, you'll never know whether the package was truly lost (stolen from mailbox or door step) or your buyer stole it from you.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
whoa, that sucks. Yes, triple dip sucks too, but we must all use it. :(
Sorry to hear of this for you, and thanks for the heads up. Didn't know this either.
Did you have it insured by the courier/postal service you used?

Dave.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, and I think this changed only recently. Because anything over $250 must be trackable and signed for, I've sent a couple of watches via FedEx Ground or Home Delivery, which is just a bit more than USPS Priority. Worked fine, has real tracking (as opposed to delivery verification) and the signature is an option.

Paul

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Sux.

Say what you want about PayPal, but there is a thief on the other end of this transaction.

Between the fees, shipping and insurance/security related costs, I question selling anymore. How soon before signature is required on a $100 purchase? It takes a lot of fun out of the hobby, but flipping is getting to be too expensive when you lose more than 10% just on the transaction not even counting the expected depreciation.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
My flippin' days have come to an end.

Unless I can sell locally, I am thinking that long distance selling is a risky business. So far (touching wood), no problems. But you never know when your luck will run dry.

nhoJ said:
Sux.

Say what you want about PayPal, but there is a Super guy on the other end of this transaction.

Between the fees, shipping and insurance/security related costs, I question selling anymore. How soon before signature is required on a $100 purchase? It takes a lot of fun out of the hobby, but flipping is getting to be too expensive when you lose more than 10% just on the transaction not even counting the expected depreciation.

·
Registered
530 Posts
To tell you the truth when I send a watch priority mail it's always signature confirmation. It would never occur to me to send it otherwise. You always have to protect yourself. Besides what's it cost a couple of bucks?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Paypal is a terrible company. I'm simply amazed that no truly viable alternative has come up.

For my shipping, even though it's more expensive, anything that much gets FedEx with signature. I don't mind the Post Office but their tracking is not that great.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
red2ndhand said:
:mad: Last month I sold some old watch cases on the bay to a buyer for $278.00. Payment was received via Paypal. Item was shipped on June 10, 2010 via USPS with Delivery Confirmation. USPS confirmed that the shipment was delivered on June 12, 2010. 2 weeks later the buyer contacted me to that he has yet to receive the item. He had filed a dispute with Paypal. Paypal had just informed me that a delivery signature is require for anything above $250.00 which I just found out. Basically I am screwed out of $278.00! ???
Paypal is now the scammers tool of choice :mad:

The only safe way to buy these days appears to be with cash and a Smith and Wesson; to make sure the deal is real and goes through without a hitch :D

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Spencer said:
Paypal is a terrible company. I'm simply amazed that no truly viable alternative has come up.
For my shipping, even though it's more expensive, anything that much gets FedEx with signature. I don't mind the Post Office but their tracking is not that great.
I agree, the lack of real competition let's Paypal get away with anything they want to do. Too much small print. Same with eb$y. I use both reluctantly.

·
Registered
476 Posts
NelsonE said:
To tell you the truth when I send a watch priority mail it's always signature confirmation. It would never occur to me to send it otherwise. You always have to protect yourself. Besides what's it cost a couple of bucks?
I'm not sure this was only a one-time event. The last time I sent a package by Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation, the mail guy just left the package on the front door (the recipient was out of town), and there's no record of confirmed delivery or recipient's signature on USPS' system. I lucked out because I was dealing with a reputable buyer. So from that point on, I totally skip signature confirmation and opt for insurance for all valuable packages.

I feel bad for the OP. Now, eBay and PP double-dipping on fees, that's another novel worth of rants.

·
Special Member
2,238 Posts
that's why i won't use paypal if i don't have to. i only take wire transfers (cheaper than paypal, especially for expensive watches) or postal money orders (check if i know you). i plain refuse to give ebay free money for doing absolutely nothing. ease of use is not enough for me to give up the free coin and i, for one, don't mind going the extra step to keep from using paypal.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
187 Posts
watcholic said:
I totally skip signature confirmation and opt for insurance for all valuable packages.
But you have to also make sure that you have read the small print on the insurance. Many postal services specifically exclude watches (and jewellery).

Often Post Office clerks don't know the limitations of the products they are selling, they will happily take your money, but when it comes to a claim the PO will merely refund you the premium and tell you that you should have read the small print. Surely their clerks should be more aware of the small print than the customer.

I usually send watches from my local village PO, everytime I sent a watch the clerk was told exactly what the contents were - it was only when I used a main PO in a big town that the clerk pointed out that I wouldn't be covered.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I suppose if a buyer is going to be dishonest, Paypal is just the first line in the attack. If Paypal doesn't lean their way, the buyer will then go for the credit card charge-back anyway. Sadly, Paypal is a good system which is taken advantage of by the crooks.
;D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Like we have said many times even with all it's issues if paypal disappeared tomorrow do you think buying online would become any less convenient?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
NelsonE said:
Like we have said many times even with all it's issues if paypal disappeared tomorrow do you think buying online would become any less convenient?
No. It might become more convenient.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts