The Watch Site banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

this issue was discussed before, but I would like to briefly touch it again.
As is widely known, the JDM models came with an H-link bracelet with speedtimer clasp (XGA261), while the general opinion is that the export models were fitted with the 'fishbone' bracelet (Z039). Both bracelets are non-Stelux marked.

However, there is IMO one more bracelet that was more or less original to the Kakume export models - a Stelux bracelet (see pictures attached). It is periodically correct, plus I have seen it on too many 6138-003s to consider them all fitted with the same aftermarket bracelet.

As typical for the Stelux bracelets, it does not have a reference number. What is strange however, is that the bracelet does not have flush-fit end links but is straight-ended as typical for watches with hooded lugs.

I must also add that this bracelet was on the single-owner 6138-0030 that I bought 3 years ago, starting this whole madness.

What would you think?


Best,
Hermann
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,564 Posts
My 0.02 is that it is not original. While I have seen some examples on this bracelet on the Kakume, there are not IMHO enough examples of watches that are in excellent condition that are seen wearing this. The point being most of the watches (yours is an exception), were pretty trashed, which implies a higher likelihood of it possibly being changed out at some point due to wear.


Also, while I think the bracelet generally suits the watch, it would be very un-Seiko like to have a case that it could be argued was designed for end-pieces, to suddenly be equipped with straight ends that break the aesthetics of the case design, IMHO of course... I can not think of another example of this occurring with Seiko?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technoman said:
Also, while I think the bracelet generally suits the watch, it would be very un-Seiko like to have a case that it could be argued was designed for end-pieces, to suddenly be equipped with straight ends that break the aesthetics of the case design, IMHO of course... I can not think of another example of this occurring with Seiko?
AJ,

the more I think about it, the more I would consider it to be original. I also discussed this issue with a well known (and respected) Philippine seller and he reckons that in his last seven years of watch trading, approx. 50 (!) 6138-0030s with this bracelet have passed thru his hands - he also considers it to be original.

What makes me wonder is the fact that I haven't seen any other Stelux bracelet on that watch, despite the fact that a general export version exists - for which there usually was a Stelux bracelet. My hypothesis is a little thin though, I know...

Just like you however, I would (if the bracelet were indeed original) wonder why Stelux did not manufacture a bracelet with fitting end links. I must add however, that while this is not common, it was also the case on other watches - a quick search did not produce a lot, but an example of two calibre 61 JDM sports divers is attached with considerable gap between the case and the straight ended-bracelet.

Best,
Hermann
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,564 Posts
Lol, I was going to post that pic as I found it earlier as well to demonstrate I was wrong.


Great points as always Hermann. I fear as with most things Seiko, it will be hard to establish an irrefutable answer one way or another..


Out of curiosity, is this bracelet essentially identical to the 6139-7080?


AJ





StartSomething said:
AJ,

the more I think about it, the more I would consider it to be original. I also discussed this issue with a well known (and respected) Philippine seller and he reckons that in his last seven years of watch trading, approx. 50 (!) 6138-0030s with this bracelet have passed thru his hands - he also considers it to be original.

What makes me wonder is the fact that I haven't seen any other Stelux bracelet on that watch, despite the fact that a general export version exists - for which there usually was a Stelux bracelet. My hypothesis is a little thin though, I know...

Just like you however, I would (if the bracelet were indeed original) wonder why Stelux did not manufacture a bracelet with fitting end links. I must add however, that while this is not common, it was also the case on other watches - a quick search did not produce a lot, but an example of two calibre 61 JDM sports divers is attached with considerable gap between the case and the straight ended-bracelet.

Best,
Hermann
 

·
Special Member
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Allright, this one was bought with this bracelet, sold to a collector by the original owner. The buyer asked if the bracelet was original. I bought the watch from the collector. The watch was bought in the Netherlands. (at least in Europe)





Check out the wear on the lug, from the edge of the bracelet.



Caseback :)




The bracelet is "european sized" meaning I even had to remove some links for my wrist :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Martijn,

many thanks for sharing the pictures (and of course the caseback :))

I must admit that while my watch came on exactly that bracelet, it was the discussions here at the SCWF that made me try to find a 'Fishbone' bracelet as replacement!!

:)

Well, seems that while I have only one 6138-0030 (the 'Kakume' export version, other versions remain to be found) I now have all three bracelet variants in my parts drawer to put on that watch :D

Best,
Hermann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
I'm just necro-ing this thead because I've just received by 6138-0030 and it came on the solid chunky straight-end Stelux bracelet. I can confirm it is definately not the original bracelet because there is clear lug wear underneath, meaning it definately had end pieces. I'm thinking perhaps the original bracelet had a high breakage rate, so they swapped over with the solid link piece at the service centre. I've doctored up some end links and borrowed the bracelet from my 6139-7080 in this photo.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Adrian,

that is a very nice watch you have here, many thanks for sharing!

As for the wear on the lugs on your watch: are you confident that the watch came from its first owner?
If not, I think it is easily possible that someone fitted the Stelux bracelet to a watch that BEFORE had the fishbone or H-link fitted (meaning in the last couple of years).

As I wrote earlier, my watch was definitely first-owner when I bought it and it had the Stelux fitted right from when the owner bought it new.

Best,
Hermann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
StartSomething said:
Adrian,

that is a very nice watch you have here, many thanks for sharing!

As for the wear on the lugs on your watch: are you confident that the watch came from its first owner?
If not, I think it is easily possible that someone fitted the Stelux bracelet to a watch that BEFORE had the fishbone or H-link fitted (meaning in the last couple of years).

As I wrote earlier, my watch was definitely first-owner when I bought it and it had the Stelux fitted right from when the owner bought it new.

Best,
Hermann
Hi Hermann,

The lug wear looks like it is very old, and has been rubbed "shiny" again because it has not been rubbed on for some time. I have a few other pieces similar, and some with "fresh" lug wear. Your theory is definately possible, but the way these bracelets sit just doesn't seem right to me.

I will contact the seller to ask the history of the piece. Maybe some light can be shed on the matter.

In any case, I'm on the hunt for some end pieces as I don't like the aftermarket look of missing end pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Stelex Bracelet - Original

Hi, I have this watch, it is from my Uncle (who died when he was 21 and received this watch on his 18th birthday). I have had it ever since (sitting in a draw in all orginal condition with no aftermarket parts) as such I believe this is the original band for this watch.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top