The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on this dial?
It almost looks as though it was retouched. The magnification is pretty large in these photos so its easy to see the cross in between the 12 marker. It looks just a bit rough here.
Everything else looks proper for age. Looking for any and all opinions!
Hopefully this one is legit...I bought it a few days ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Looks like it was exposed to a lot of sun light and the lume got spoiled.
Or it could have been played with different watch parts to make one.
I would get it re-lumed to make it better and more appropriate to look
at. Besides that it looks good for a watch.
Could be with aging it with ... Heat treated, Coffee , dying, or tea bagging.
Maybe just plain old ...Lume Rotting ??
I had ...Two like that before, did the lume and came to original.
JMO

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like its yellow enough where its should have some darker spots. Hard to age gracefully and that even all around. Hands look like rough relume

·
Registered
29,092 Posts
The dial looks good, I have yet to see anyone that can relume these dials to match Seiko originals. I like it.

If the watch is in your possession would you be so kind as to see if the dial tab is indeed in the Chapter ring notch. I have a 6309-704X that also does not align @ the 12 marker and it is definitely a Seiko factory oversight. TIA

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really seemed correct as far as dial color and the movement numbers at the bottom of the dial are perfect; even when magnified, they still look clear. It's just that white cross between the 12 marker that looked fuzzy to me. I have to say it's just due to age. I won't have the watch for another week or so. It's on its way from the seller. I do have more pictures though. I'll post more later today. Thanks again for looking it over.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dial looks OK to me, though the hands have had a bad re-lume and the insert is aftermarket (and possibly the bezel also?)

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Thanks Thorien.
I'm going to post a couple more photos in a few minutes.
Bezel, insert and hands are understandable replacement items for a watch built in 1978, but if that dial is original, I'll be pretty pleased.
The 6309 fascination is somewhat new to me and prior to this I was happy enough with my 7548's, but something happened about a week ago and I found myself in desparate need of some auto's and thus, the hunt began. Most of what I was finding seemed to be watches that had alot of AM parts, but then I saw this one and it seemed to be the real thing.

·
Registered
29,092 Posts
Abinelli, Thanks for the kind words. This one must have been in a Drawer since purchase, I never wear it out of the House. I must say...It is in Like New Condition and I have had Many ;)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Any thoughts on this dial?
It almost looks as though it was retouched. The magnification is pretty large in these photos so its easy to see the cross in between the 12 marker. It looks just a bit rough here.
Everything else looks proper for age. Looking for any and all opinions!
Hopefully this one is legit...I bought it a few days ago.
Aloha Aquaman ,
My original posted comment :
I was observing my 7040 real closely and it looks like this one very much in comparison.
(I would have to reconsider what I wrote and go along with David on this one. )
NOTE: >>>>> It looks like you got a all original aged one.

This is my 1977 7040 , ...Orignal Owner and only a over-haul was done to
it and a clean up that all.
I also had this one all original and all aged out ( The Dial Picture )
Louis

Attachments

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6309 original? Updated photos

Ok. Thanks for taking a look at it again. It just looked right when I first saw it. The hands may have been replaced but they won't age the same as the dial anyway since they're made of different materials. This watch either got some moisture in at some point or perhaps it lived in a high humidity climate and once the moisture gets in, it never really gets all the way out.
Since the moisture will always rise towards the crystal, the hands will take most of the punishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would agree with the dial being original. I just had a look at the 7548 dial that's going into my 6309-7040 case and it has the same yellowing, and has the same sort of "bubbled" rough look to it.

I would likely agree with the others that the hands may have been redone however get a UV light onto the watch and see if anything shines or not.

I got to pick from three sets of hands for my 6309 / 7548 conversion and the original hands with my 7548 dial were atrocious while the dial is gorgeous.. yet another set of hands from the 6309 have this amazing cream colour to them. They are so close to the dial colour that you wouldn't know they'd ever come from different watches, and yet the hands light up with a UV light (albeit not for very long) while the dial has no luminosity at all.

I wouldn't sweat it, the dial on your 6105 looks amazing. Do not touch it, ever. Leave it as is.

·
Special Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Thanks Nick.
I'm not planning to do anything to the watch immediately. I really like how the dial looks.
If I can find some hands that are correct for this watch, I might consider changing those.
If these turn out to be original, I might have to leave them unless they're completely coming apart.
Let me know if you post any photos of your quartz 6309 on the mod forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts