The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I purchased this Orient Polaris GMT (DJ05003W) a few weeks ago and have worn it enough times to write up a preliminary review.

Orient's official site:
https://www.orientwatchusa.com/shop/mens-watches/fdj05003w0/

A couple reviews I'd seen:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f410/orient-polaris-gmt-fdj05003w0-overview-3576050.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f306/orient-gmt-polaris-4618045.html

https://dappered.com/2015/12/win-it-the-orient-polaris-gmt-automatic/

I've been wanting a watch with a GMT hand and a watch with a Power Reserve indicator, which led me to this watch, which happens to have both. It also has blue hands for a little more pop. eBay had their 20% off coupon a few weeks ago, so I purchased it for about $290, which, in my opinion, is a steal. I believe they sell for about $370 normally, but Orient has normal sales that will get it back to about $300 periodically.

Dimensions:
It measures spot on at 42mm case diameter and 44.9mm with the crown. I measure the lug to lug length at 48mm. I measure the case thickness to be 12.2mm. My wrist measures 7.25" and while I feel the watch wear just fine, I've been leaning towards smaller watches recently. I've found that 40mm to be a perfect size for non-divers. I have several vintage Seikos in the 35-36mm size that I really like as well.

Case:
The case is fully polished SS with 22mm lug width. The build quality is excellent. It has a sapphire crystal and a display back. I do wish that it had a 100m water resistance rating over the 50m. I like this watch as a travel watch since it has the GMT feature, but I'd feel better with more resistance. I have a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical that is only rated at 50m that I've read experiences of it flooding when submerged just at the surface level. I agree with one of the previous reviewers that I could do without the display back in trade for a thinner overall watch (plus I wear it on a NATO anyway). The 22mm lug width matches the overall size of the watch well, but 20mm lugs on a 40mm case would be better for me.

Strap:
I removed the stock strap as soon as I got it and replaced it with a NATO, they're more comfortable to me. If I remember right, the grey strap pictures is from ToxicNATOs.

Dial and Hands:
I like simple dials and this watch was borderline too busy for me. I've grown to like it, but I could do without the multiple textures. There's a circular texture around the indices, a diamond texture on the main part of the dial and a guilloche like pattern at the power indicator hand. The Orient logo is applied on the left which balances the outlined date window. European-esque coat of arms doesn't really bother me as it may to others. The lower quadrant has a diamond shaped logo (don't know the significance), "Water Resist" and "GMT". The a sloped 24 hour chapter ring on the outer edge. All the hands are blue with a skinny second hand and dauphine minute and hour hands. The GMT hand is the longest and almost reaches the chapter ring.

Movement:
It has the in-house Orient 40P51 automatic movement. It is reasonably well finished with Geneva stripes on the rotor and swirls on the bridge. It has a 4th GMT hand that can be changed without affecting the time keeping. With the crown in the 2nd position, turning the crown one direction adjusts the date, while the other direction rotates the GMT hand. I've had it on and off the wrist (but always wound and running) for the last 15 days with the below result. It appears to run a little slow (or at least less fast) in the vertical position (crown up or down). I've left it in that position the last few days to slightly tweak the accuracy, where it has averaged +1.6s/day, which I'm very happy with, of course. It handwinds and hacks. I haven't run it down to see the power reserve, but it's been pretty close based on the indicator.

Conclusion:
I'm really enjoying the watch, it's a great value with all the features, complications and accuracy. It's a little larger than I'd like for somewhat dressy watch, but works great for everyday wear.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leather would definitely dress it up. It comes with a brown alligator band with a push button butterfly clasp. The band didn't feel particularly high quality, but looked decent. I'd probably upgrade to something a little nicer for dressy occasions. Stock picture attached.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a lovely looking watch, a first glance it has a look of a GS Grand Seiko. I am not sure about the dark hands although great contract and easy to read i feel silver hands may look a little bit classier.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
WOW, that watch is a beautie and it really brings to mind it's wonderful relative, the Grand Seiko Snowflake !! It truly shows of it's heritage and beautiful good looks through the exhibition caseback and lovely movement. Thanks for the great review. Nice pictures, great comments ! Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm planning to buy this watch next month however before I pull the trigger, I just like to get your opinion/s guys about this watch.
Is it a great watch or will I put my money to something else?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts