The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently graduated, am broke and want a "new" watch. (have lots of vintage Seikos, but nothing I want to use as a daily wear watch) Used Orient Makos and Citizen Ny2300s are around the same price. So which has the better fit and finish? I'm torn between their looks.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Well, the Citizen hand winds and looks more rugged with better lume, but the mako looks nicer as a watch.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi,
You'll find an excellent review of the Citizen here:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,113.0.html
and I reviewed and compared the black Mako to a Casio here:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,293.0.html
Imho, and similar to what Time wrote, the Mako is "dressier", whereas the Citizen is more a "form follows function" watch, but you can't go wrong with either of them.
Also: there is now the "new" Mako, larger and heavier compared to the "old" Mako. I don't think you'll find a used "new" Mako, but it's always a good idea to check exactly what you're buying.
The "old" Mako has a code number that begins with CEM65xxx, whereas the "new" Mako begins with CEM75xxx.
Cheers,

·
Registered
547 Posts
Time said:
Well, the Citizen hand winds and looks more rugged with better lume, but the mako looks nicer as a watch.
+1 to this assessment. It's interesting to note that the Mako dial bears a lot of resemblance to the contemporary Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. I don't know if that matters much to you, but it is a very dressy diver. That resemblance can be seen when looking at a lume shot of the Mako next to a couple of Fifty Fathoms:

Attachments

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
I have both, two Makos actually, and the Citizen gets more wrist time.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
GarageBoy said:
So I just recently graduated, am broke and want a "new" watch. (have lots of vintage Seikos, but nothing I want to use as a daily wear watch) Used Orient Makos and Citizen Ny2300s are around the same price. So which has the better fit and finish? I'm torn between their looks.
I have the blue Mako. I haven't worn it in a couple of months. I don't have a NY-2300, but I have a couple of 0040's and a 0054. These get alot of wrist time. This being said, even though I'm a huge fan of the Mako, I'd have to say the Citi is your best bet here.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I see these two this way: if I wanted a "dress diver", I would go with the Mako (blue, specially), but if I wanted a "tool diver" I would go with the NY2300. Whatever you choose, outstanding watches for their prices!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
GarageBoy said:
I am somewhat biased as I don't have the Mako but do have one or several NY2300s...

[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

and a work in progress; The Steampunk8200...
[IMG]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts