The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived yesterday...

New Old Stock Orient Fineness Ultramatic 35j. Circa 1967

Measuring 36mm in diameter. In it's day it it boasted the thinnest self winding Japanese movement at just 3.9mm. It has a vertical arrangement of the day and date. Automatic without hand winding or hacking and has a one piece case that is opened through the front and a two piece winding stem.

Adjustment of the date is done by winding the hands in a clockwise direction until the correct date is shown and anti-clockwise for adjustment of the day.
Keeping great time as one would expect from an Orient.






























 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Wow!! I never seen one like that before. Love the day and date!!! Looks like a very high end piece and a keeper for sure!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Sexy vintage looks kew! Now that's some "Fine ness!"

How bout a profile shot of the side and it's thin-ness
;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
And those hands are excellent. I have the boring non-Japanese version without the hands and the medallion. According to Orient, this was the thinnest automatic caliber when it was introduced.

/ martin

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Martin,


Interesting model. I haven't seen that one before. The day on mine is English only. What do you think makes your model the non-Japanese version?
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
709 Posts
Just a conclusion as I have seen 4 or 5 or your version in the Japanese auctions (and none of mine) and 3 of mine in sales outside of Japan (and none of yours). Perhaps not perfect evidence but at least fairly consistent. I think Orient went with a one language day wheel as a two language one would be too hard to incorporate into the double day/date window.

/ martin

kew said:
Hi Martin,


Interesting model. I haven't seen that one before. The day on mine is English only. What do you think makes your model the non-Japanese version?
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
martback said:
Just a conclusion as I have seen 4 or 5 or your version in the Japanese auctions (and none of mine) and 3 of mine in sales outside of Japan (and none of yours). Perhaps not perfect evidence but at least fairly consistent. I think Orient went with a one language day wheel as a two language one would be too hard to incorporate into the double day/date window.

/ martin
Selected watches for the domestic market and the "others" for the rest of the world - some things never change! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I just found the twin of your Orient Fineness Ultramatic watch at an estate sale. It is in excellent condition, but apparently has not received any attention for many years. It runs for some hours, but stops at random points. It probably needs cleaning and lubrication. Can you recommend anyone who could undertake this for an unusual watch of this vintage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnsperry said:
I just found the twin of your Orient Fineness Ultramatic watch at an estate sale. It is in excellent condition, but apparently has not received any attention for many years. It runs for some hours, but stops at random points. It probably needs cleaning and lubrication. Can you recommend anyone who could undertake this for an unusual watch of this vintage?
Congratulations on that "fine" find!. Although my Orient Fineness was new old stock, I understand it is important to get an "overhaul". I suppose it is just like a 50 year old car that has been sitting never used in a garage - it would be unwise just to get in it and drive it. I actually found a watch maker in Japan that speaks reasonable English. I recently sent him the Fineness for an overhaul along with another Orient favourite of mine. If you would like his details, just PM me. He only repairs Japanese branded watches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
669 Posts
Nice find, and spectacular condition. It's not very often someone posts a watch here that I haven't seen (or seen some variant of). Love the hands....
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top