The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hunting for a new watch for my wife. She's had a perpetual calendar quartz Seiko and it finally gave up the ghost. It was a nice blend of bling and sport. It was only 100m rated (non screw-down crown) and she dove with it for about 50 dives. I think it's time for a real dive watch.

Considered an Omega Seamaster (she'd kill me, too $$$), Ball mad cow ladies (too $$$), Swiss Victorinox (not bad - but only 100m), Sinn U200 (too pricey, too thick), and a few others. She likes the SS bracelet for the bling factor, and needs something durable to put up with hustling around 3 kids all day.

I was torn between the smaller SUG089 diver and the SKX013 diver. She generally likes smaller divers, but I took the chance hoping she likes the larger SKX013. Wish me luck. If not, you'll see the SKX up on the trading forum....

DIDN'T get this one:

Instead got this one:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think you made a good choice....but it is hers that matters right!

Wishing you much luck! and welcome here good to have you :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hope she's into dive watches. If so, you have a winner and a really cool wife. 8)

Good luck, its also the thought that counts.
Dave.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Good luck with the gift and I hope your wife likes it. In my experience, though, unless you know your wife likes watches, and the kind or specific ones she likes, its usually best to not give them as gifts. I've found that by and large, women tend to see watches as jewelery, which makes their tastes subjective and as with jewelery, something to be changed regularly. with two exceptions, every single time I've given a woman a watch as a gift, I've been thanked, and then the watch has disappeared into the depths of their jewelery box, rarely to be seen again. Now I ask in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's definitely not a WIS and doesn't like my larger SKX009-sized watches, but she LOVES her dying Seiko. This one is a little bigger, so I'm pushing the boundaries a bit!

I'd buy her the same watch again if I could find it, but it's discontinued - the ladies one on the right:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I bought my wife a vintage SEIKO mid-sized diver 4205-0155. She did not like it at all until I found her a nice thick leather strap with white stitching (I gave her the watch with zulu nylon strap at first :-[ .... Yes, I know it was stupid).

I also taught her some simple things such as how to unscrew and screw the crown (woman does not understand why a watch needs a screw down crown), and how to use the bezel to time her cooking or to time her parking time on the mall during shopping ::) . Now it is her daily beater.

It takes time to tell her how I appreciate an untouched vintage example. Now she can appreciate the original shape and lines too and does not mind little scratches here and there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good luck.
I have found it to be a near impossible task to get the 'right' watch for a woman.
I just give her my credit card and pray its an 'affordable' choice...

This might help

·
Registered
386 Posts
schmed said:
Been hunting for a new watch for my wife.
SBCM023 (perpetual calendar, ISO diver and high-end quartz) might have also been a good choice.

And if that one was still too big - a Citizen Promaster EcoDrive - there are some nice JDM models in titanium ... some even are his/hers pair :)

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Shmed thats the one my Partner Wears i bought her.Its an 8F56 perpetual.Nice ladies watch.

schmed said:
She's definitely not a WIS and doesn't like my larger SKX009-sized watches, but she LOVES her dying Seiko. This one is a little bigger, so I'm pushing the boundaries a bit!

I'd buy her the same watch again if I could find it, but it's discontinued - the ladies one on the right:

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
TheNeilo(AqualandKing) said:
Shmed thats the one my Partner Wears i bought her.Its an 8F56 perpetual.Nice ladies watch.
It is a very nice one (plus the advantage that you can get the pair for it ;) ) and has one serious advantage over 8F35 (from SBCM023) - the normal hour hand can 'jump' in steps of one hour for DST/timezone changes - however the bezel is the 24h (vs the normal 60-min diver bezel) and the lume is not as impressive as the Black Ninja ...

Also please note that the picture that you have attached is a PNG with a JPG extension ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... today is my wife's birthday, and I gave her the SKX013. At first, she thought I wrapped up one of my watches, then she realized it's a mini version of mine! Even the kids said "isn't that Dad's watch?" :D

At first, she thought it was way too big, but I got the bracelet sized up, and so far, she likes it. I think these mid-sized watches look great on women!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts