The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Pardners,

Been away for awhile but got bitten by the mod bug...again.

I want to swap a 4r36 into my first gen OM, and understand stem modification is required.

Would any of you folks be kind enough to explain what this entails?

Thanks!
Cowboy

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
There's no need to mod the stem , just use a crown/stem from a new monster - which has a 4r36 fitted as standard.
These crowns are not separable from the stem, they are a one piece unit.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Then you'll have to find a watchmaker to cut the old stem, re-thread it, fit an adapter, cut the new stem and possibly re-thread it , then carefully measure and adjust the length to fit.
Which is all possible - but it will cost you a lot more than a new crown and stem.
It might be an idea to email Rob at monsterwatches.nl He does this type of thing regularly and may be able to offer a different crown/stem to fit, which could keep your old monster looking more original (if that's the issue).
I personally like the newer knurled crowns look, but it's your watch - look for SRP309.

·
Registered
34 Posts
swap

I'm currently performing the same operation on two black monsters. I have two crown/stem assy's coming from Jules Borel. Hoping to complete the swap this week.
Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,

Please let me know how it goes!

My goal is to keep the old OM crown with the new movement.

Yeehaa!
Cowboy

·
Registered
42 Posts
All,
Following advice from 7s26b the use of a collar might just help me with a modification I'm looking at too.
Thanks for sharing these ideas solutions and links,
Bern

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do this pretty regularly since almost everything I buy is missing the stem or has a broken stem (I bought a lot of stems from Ramon last year, very helpful). I picked up large bore hypodermic needles from a feed/hardware store (for putting medicine into the butt of a horse) and I use those to make the collars from. If you can't thread them you can get the stem halves to friction fit into the collar and then use loctite, solder, or even glue. Divers are tricky since you need a short collar so that the crown will screw in, but you can still get by with loctite if you aren't able to thread them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ShaikCorso,
What a great solution.
I grew up in Redditch which was/is the UK centre for needle making they still have an old water mill where some of the first were manufactured.
I'll be off to a local farmers suppliers this weekend for some sheep injection spares. :)
Over here there is a 2 part speed epoxy made by deluxe materials which sets in 60 minutes which I'll try.
Yes Ramon is very helpful.
Many thanks for the tip,
Bern

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's been 4 plus months, still waiting for the stem/crown assys for my conversion project. Hard to believe a guy can't procure a part to a watch that is still in production.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
well sounds like a great solution...excellent work

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a quick update on how I am getting on with mine.

We moved house twice in December (not something I would recommend if you can avoid it). A short term rent then into the new one we have bought.
So I am up to my ears in DIY, decorating, plumbing, etc.

Somewhere in the garage is my watch stuff!
But I will be back. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts