The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank all of SCWF members who contributed their knowledge in my previous posts answering all of my newbie questions.
I have narrowed down my choices to two watches in my price range

I like the SKX007, but I am not fond of the day/date.(prefer date only)
It was recommended that I contact Harold for a mod. (Pic below)
I have also been looking at the SRP043. (pic below)
I am not sure if I like the numbers on the dial..(yet), it is a departure from 7002.
Harold's mod looks great.
The SRP043 has a newer movement (4r15)
My wrist is 7.75"
I am looking for pro & cons ...opinions.
Thanks to all for your help
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
For me, the 007sm are great bang for the buck. Nice watch easly modified, and looks good stock. :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I've handled the Spork, and it is a big chunk of metal. That said, it is not any more capable than the 007, and it sells for a considerable premium over any of the SKX models without giving any real substance in return by way of improvement. A nice watch, don't get me wrong, BUt IMHO it is a bit overpriced for what it is, especially when you compare it to Seiko's SKX models. That and the dial and hand combo is almost identical to a very similar set up that Yobokies had been selling for long before the Spork came out. I think many forumers might think similarly, as this is a piece that is rarely seen and it's been out for some time. Collectors simply have not been picking them up in any sort of volume.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Phil

Having owned 4 SKX007's (and really liked them) I've now got a Spork incoming. I too prefer date only, liked the idea of the newer movement and as I am UK based this is the only Seiko auto diver that I'm aware of that is an official UK model. Worked out at £70 more than a 007. I therefore get the full 2 years warranty. One of the most important aspects to me is lume and I've read that this watch is pretty impressive.
Anyway those are my reasons for buying, I'll post my impressions when it arrives. Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gabe & forumers,

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions & insights.
One of the difficulties I am having, is by the time I purchase & mod a SKX007 with a new dial & strap it is only $25.00 less than a new SRP043 with a new strap. (on a side note why is it referred to as a "SPORK" ?)
I would go with a stock 007 in a heartbeat($148 us delivered w/ papers), if I could wrap my mind around the day /date (not lining up) & the second hand (prefer the ball in front) issues I have.
Given the above, is the 4r15 movement in this case worth the 25.00 difference?
I know this seems like a lot of trouble for a watch, but for me a watch is a necessity & a tool. (form & function)
After checking out some of the forum members collections... I realize how much time & care you put into your watches & how trivial this must be.
So once again, Thanks for taking the time.
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am 100% sure that the SRP043 is a pretty good watch, and you won't regret buying it. The case seems to have some similarities to the SKA371-case, which I love for the wonderful bracelet.
But personally, I'm a big fan for the SKX007-design. The hands and dial are designed like the ones Seiko made 35 years ago. The size is just perfect for me. It's not only that think the SRP043 is a little too expensive. I think I would even choose the SKX-Models above it if it was the same price level. Plus, I really need the day/date too.
Anyways, it sounds like you're in need of a SRP043, so I would not hesitate to go for it if I were you!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't know, I'm a sucker for this look:

I know that you don't want day, and only date, but maybe you could get an aftermarket dial like yamahafs1 suggested?

The Spork looks good, but I don't like the numbers on dial.

The numbers on dial make it look non-diver to me. It's a cool watch, without a doubt, but not "diverly" enough for my tastes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s all relative and it’s hard to go wrong with either, it depends where/what/when/who/why is in your watch box collection.
I have a Spork-K1 (bracelet) incoming. The 007 has a lot going for it, heritage/price-value being utmost. I already have a 7s26 in the B-Monster (and the day/date lines up).
I’m not into mods and I’ve handled the 007 with the Seiko as-issued folded Jubilee, although the bracelet itself is top-notch it falls short (in my book) being non-solid links/ends, thereby the price. Yes, you can do a Yobokies S-Oyster as I had (past tense) with my 031 but (per my sample) the bracelet isn’t on par even with the Seiko folded SO.

Dan

·
Registered
670 Posts
Called Spork SP043K as its halfway between a diver and a pilot watch, so like a spork half way between spoon and fork. I bought one, fantastic
the only problem is that anything else feels and looks just too small afterwards. Watches that once seemed big, now look like ladies watches when
worn. It takes a while to get back to them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Tried to take some pics of my spork in its 'natural' environment, trouble is I'm rubbish at holding the camera in one hand, perhaps this gives you indication why I chose it.
Any smart person shouting that I'm not correctly attired, this was taken last weekend when were grounded due to the ash cloud.

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am also looking for an SRP43K. I cannot wear an SKX007 as it is too small for my 8 1/4" wrist. I tried with 3 different models including a PMMM but no go, they just look tiny on my wrist. The SRP043 seems bigger also due to the bigger dial and crystal. Personally also I like the looks of it a lot more than any SKX divers (excluding the Monster) as I don't like the usual Seiko Divers hands shape, but this is totally my subjective taste.

The SRP043 is bigger and it has a totally new case shape and dimension, which is probably one reason of the higher cost. The other and main one seems to be the movement. Contrary to what is being said, I don't believe that this is just a 7s movement polished up. This 4r movement is different, it has a lot more power reserve which seems to indicate that it has a bigger and higher quality spring and obviously any parts having to do with it. This may not justify in full the high difference in price, but one has to consider that the SKX007 has been produced in millions of quantities for years and one can buy this in thousands of stores and internet locations, while the SRP043 is a relatively new watch and available only in a few dozen locations and I am sure not in stores yet at least in the US. I have seen a few on sale for a little over $200 in the forums and I believe that at this price it would be a fair deal. If you compare the prices of 7s movement watches compared to similar watches that have the 4r movement you will see that there is still a high difference in prices which indicate that this movement is more costly or at least more expensive to buy. This does not mean that I agree with it, but it means that in the eyes of Seiko they think that this is worth a higher asking price. ???

But even after saying this, the most important thing is what you think about it and what you like. If you like this, get it. If you don't like it when you receive it you can always sell it to me... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts