The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you tried out one of these new Deep Blue NATO watches that look, to my eye, like straight-across copies of the SKX007/009 watches?

I'd be interested in thoughts and comparisons - I must say, the applied indices are a nice touch IMO (despite bringing it more out of the "tool" realm and into the dressier side of things).

·
Registered
227 Posts
2mm bigger case. I almost bought one during the black friday deal they had going. I choked on the shipping cost. Didn't really like the bigger size THAT much.

If it is something you really want, shipping won't matter that much

·
Registered
616 Posts
I started a thread a few days ago, "almost a Seiko", nothing but the sound of crickets...I think the purists are too horrified to even comment ;)

I've got a couple of them, I see they did a PVD version too...

I got them thinking they would be fun to mod with Seiko parts, but I think the dial is too big for anything genuine Seiko...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the size makes that case kind of off... Not sure what it is, but doesn't really do it for me. Especially since, if I really wanted the sapphire crystal (I don't), I could have one added to an SKX bought new and still be cheaper. I find it sorta flattering in a way though that they made an homage to an SKX. Sort of cool.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't really understand the point. I understand when a company creates a riff/homage to a well known and popular watch that for many people will always be out of reach financially (Rolex, Omega, etc...) but why do it for a watch that can be had for $200 new...or less? Obviously I am biased towards Seiko but its attainability is one of its most desirable aspects. Although in truth, if I could buy a $5000 watch as easily as I can buy a $200 watch there really aren't all that many of them that I want.

EDIT: I just looked at their website and I see that this is a very affordable watch, $299, currently onsale at $249, probably even less in other channels. And yet still, I would opt for an actual 7s26-002x diver all day long.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you don't mind buying used you can buy an SRP777 and put a sapphire on if for that money :) Also I think the dial looks too busy. Give me (yet another) 007/009 any day.

·
Registered
808 Posts
These are nice looking watches. It's always nice to see other manufacturers giving a nod to the iconic SKX without being a direct copy.
The prices that Saul found put it in the same arena as the SKX.

The SKX is at the extreme end of what I can comfortable wear as far as size goes. Sadly these would be too big for me :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
I don't really understand the point. I understand when a company creates a riff/homage to a well known and popular watch that for many people will always be out of reach financially (Rolex, Omega, etc...) but why do it for a watch that can be had for $200 new...or less? Obviously I am biased towards Seiko but its attainability is one of its most desirable aspects. Although in truth, if I could buy a $5000 watch as easily as I can buy a $200 watch there really aren't all that many of them that I want.

EDIT: I just looked at their website and I see that this is a very affordable watch, $299, currently onsale at $249, probably even less in other channels. And yet still, I would opt for an actual 7s26-002x diver all day long.
I picked up both of mine from the forums second hand, for the money I think they are worth a look, especially if you can pull off wearing a bigger watch. It's an SKX on steroids so it's not quite an imitation, 300m rating, He valve, looks like a Seiko, powered by a Seiko...

The only thing they need is a trip to the spa for decent lume.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I picked up both of mine from the forums second hand, for the money I think they are worth a look, especially if you can pull off wearing a bigger watch. It's an SKX on steroids so it's not quite an imitation, 300m rating, He valve, looks like a Seiko, powered by a Seiko...

The only thing they need is a trip to the spa for decent lume.
He valve? A real Seiko 300m don't need no stinkin' He valve! :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
quite true. Saul. the tuna shroud was Seiko's distinguishing innovation.

so an homage watch with an He release valve seems a bit off the mark

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
quite true. Saul. the tuna shroud was Seiko's distinguishing innovation.

so an homage watch with an He release valve seems a bit off the mark
Well...it's a 300m homage to a 200m watch so He was never an issue. The proprietary Seiko gasket that keeps He out in the first place was never in anything rated under 300m. :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts