The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am trying to find a nice original 6105 8000 proof dial and they seem to be like hens teeth in any condition....i would even consider a water damaged one...but all i can seem to find is the later resist one...i have found a great resist model with minimal damage and should clean up very well..can the resist be removed and proof added?...am i just being too fussy...i was always told if you do something do it once and be done with it...i would to see what all of you think...as they watches get harder to find original parts...what should we do..i can not bring myself to use aftermarket parts on this one...thank you all for reading this..John

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I'd just ask myself this question: Will I enjoy the watch more with the Resist dial? If so, go for it.

I'm contemplating dropping a spare 6309 (17J) movement into a 6319 (21J variant) case for better timekeeping. If I do I will not care that it's not 'original' and I will enjoy its return to being a much more reliable time piece. Since it's not to be for resale (and when I do flip I'll be careful to call it out and take the hit in resale value) then all that will matter is that I will be enjoying it more......if I decide to take it on.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
This is precisely one of the big reasons I do not collect 6139 chronographs. Collecting them has turned into a nit picking festival with post after post of pictures of 6139's pointing out all of its faults.
What really matters are you doing this as a hobby or a business? If you are in it for the money then I can see if you want to be able to have the best examples and the watches have to be what you say they are or you will not be in business long.
If you are collecting watches just because you enjoy them and you like to either do minor repair or even full out restorations do what you like and dam the critics. if it is your hobby the only one who the watch has to please is you.
Of course this does not give you a license to be stupid and take a very rare Seiko and mutilate it just for your entertainment. There are enough 6139 chronographs out there already missing original parts like dials and bracelets. Pick up one of those and if you want the dial to be a certain style or type go for it. If you are truly a hobbyist then build it the way you want it. Even funnier is you most likely will find many others will find your personal touches pleasing and other will not. In the end rule number one of any hobby is have fun!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Here is a blue proof dial I have that has seen better days. A real shame too and a resist dial I received in the same lot of estate parts about a year ago. I also noticed why does the Proof dial say Chronograph Automatic on top and the resist dial just say Automatic?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Strange as the Proof -8000s are more prevalent that the -resist ones.

I'd wait for what you want - much of the fun is in the chase.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think your getting your calibres mixed up Michael :)

The op is asking about 6105s ? Iyour dials are 6139s ? ;)
Yeah I see now I was keying of the second post and missed the original post was about 6105 dials not 6139's

In my defense I never claimed to have a good attention span:eek:hmy:

On the same subject though are all 6217-8001 dials marked proof or are they found with both markings? My 6105-8000 is marked Resist. So is my 6105-8110 and both of my 6105-8119 also are marked resist.

I wonder was the change over of the wording done on all rated models all about the same time or is it different years for different models?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
First, its a watch, do what makes you happy. :)

But..if you want to preserve "correctness" you can absolutely mix and match resist/proof dials and cases to your hearts content. Seiko would use up parts during transitions so you would have proof dials and resist cases and vice versa leaving the factory. We've seen this in 6105, 6139, 6138 and other calibers.

They only wrinkle is manufacture date. A watch case from 1967 paired with a resist dial would be incorrect, for example, as Seiko started rolling out resist watches in 1971 I think. Having cases in inventory for three or four years would be unlikely.

In any event, no need to worry...it's your watch, do whatever makes you smile. Save the old dial and you can always undo it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i love the info...well the watch is date july 1969....well for most watches i like to keep everything original as much as possible..this is not because of resale as this is the model i never thought i would own...i did not know resist dials were ever put in proof cases...my thinking was after reading the thread about the 6217 with the dial that is being restored...maybe they could change the wording for me...well i will use that resist dial and i can always look for a proof dial ...i would much rather enjoy this beautiful watch...you all are right...saving a watch and enjoying it and having fun is the most important part of why we all do this...thank all of you...you always set my mind at ease....John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts