The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Ok here is a blue 6139-6000 March 1969 every part original to watch head.

Rebuilt by Adrian at VTA including reluming of original matte hands and dial markers to absolute perfection. Keeps perfect time.

CRC (Chrome Rimmed Crystal) polished to as-new condition.

Mounted on NOS JDM SpeedTimer bracelet. Never worn outside house.

Is this worth $2500 ?
IMG_20200727_204305.jpg

Hint: 2 letter answer starts with "n" and ends in "o".

·
Special Member
2,689 Posts
I imagine that another way to look at the discussion could be soley based on desirablity and not price. Both a True Pogue and Blue JDM SpeedTimer are desirable watches and will normally command a premium over many other 6139s. Obviously there are other 6139's that would be even more desirable and corresponding Higher Values (Yellow JDM Speedtimers, Sunrises, Silver Proofs, etc).

For comparison purposes let's use ricetime's True Pogue (A Beautiful Example) on a H-Link Bracelet and Grammarofdesign's (above) JDM Blue Speedtimer (A Beautiful Example) on the original JDM SpeedTimer Bracelet.

You can only own one. Price is not a factor. Which Would you Prefer to Own?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That’s tough. Maybe Jon’s too. His is almost worth the $2500, maybe someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Well, this 6139-6002 Resist yellow dial in nice original shape, just went for 1,130GBP and needs service if that tells you anything about current prices.
That’s unbelievable! I can’t keep up with this.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ok here is a blue 6139-6000 March 1969 every part original to watch head.

Rebuilt by Adrian at VTA including reluming of original matte hands and dial markers to absolute perfection. Keeps perfect time.

CRC (Chrome Rimmed Crystal) polished to as-new condition.

Mounted on NOS JDM SpeedTimer bracelet. Never worn outside house.

Is this worth $2500 ?
View attachment 452987

Hint: 2 letter answer starts with "n" and ends in "o".
hey j,

I don't want that speedtimer, but I'll take the one to the right of it =)

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I've got dozens for sale at "I really don't want to sell it" Crazy Pricing which is where things are headed by the sounds of it................

·
Special Member
2,689 Posts
So I quess a True Pogue is worth $2500. Search:

Vintage SEIKO 6139 6005 Water Resistant TRUE POGUE Dec.1971 Chronograph Watch

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I've got a nice one for $2500 if any of you guys wanna pony up................:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe there won't be a correction and prices are where they should be. But looking at the Willard mania and then reissue price trends, I think the watch market is bubbling.
I like the smaller case 6139s myself and have no interest in Pogues or 6138s. As I monitor those price trends ($1k for a "Bruce Lee" ?!?!), I believe things are highly unpredictable, so I take my profits when I can get them.
Well unlike the recent deluge of diver reissues you can reasonably bet there won’t be reissue on the vintage chronographs. Unless Seiko comes up with modern 6138/9 movement, which is unlikely considering how expensive the 8R28/48 is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Honestly I don’t even think they’re worth $2500.. it’s ridiculous prices atm. That’s why I was honestly surprised at Spencer’s appraisal and really wanted to see how the community felt. I was thinking closer to the $1000 to $1500 (max) range. Although even then that’s still pretty expensive. It’s essentially a $2000 mark up for the “Water 70m Resist” text.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Honestly I don’t even think they’re worth $2500.. it’s ridiculous prices atm. That’s why I was honestly surprised at Spencer’s appraisal and really wanted to see how the community felt. I was thinking closer to the $1000 to $1500 (max) range. Although even then that’s still pretty expensive. It’s essentially a $2000 mark up for the “Water 70m Resist” text.
Yes, but these things are not rational. Look at a Paul Newman dial Daytona as an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
in addition to the dial text, there is also the year of production and the 6009 (vs the 6030T and 6030R) designation on the dial.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
My sentiments exactly.

At $2500
A. There are many better watches in the hobby to be purchased,
B. This level of condition/preservation is easily found elsewhere in your stated price range,
C There is positively nothing truly rare about our beloved Pogues except the teal dial Sunrise. You just have to work a bit and show some semblance of patience.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts