The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question for y’all and any opinions would help greatly. So I have a 1971 September (same year and month as Col. Pogue’s) True Pogue in immaculate condition. I even got Spencer Klein’s opinion on it and he said it’s easily one of the best he’s seen and valued it at “$2500 easy”. I love True Pogues but I also absolutely love the Blue JDM Speed Timers.

My True Pogue

I am in contact with a very reputable seller who has one that was recently serviced by Adrian at VTA. It’s in great condition, the moldy hour indices have been relumed professionally but the minute hand has significant mold. He is willing to send it to Adrian to get it relumed as well. The watch does not come with the bracelet (currently we will be trading just the watch heads), he’s valuing it at $1400 (I’m sure any 6139 collector will know which post I am talking about). He is willing to add $400 to $600 extra cash but I would be covering the cost of sending it Adrian and I would need to cover the cost of the JDM bracelet and I would need to cover the cost of Shipping+insurance (all fair btw!) effectively making the extra cash down to $100 or $200, valuing my watch to only about $1600 to $1800-ish. Nothing against the seller at all btw, I’m seriously just asking if it’s worth doing or not. Also if requested enough I can attach photos of the Blue JDM Speed Timer too, but atm I’d rather keep it relatively anonymous.

Is this worth the trade for a watch even Spencer was really impressed with? Or should I be looking to hold on to it or go for a straight sell in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your 6005 looks pretty nice even with the damage to the bezel but not (IMO) $2500 nice :) unless i'm missing something ?
Right, I mean I’d didn’t think it was $2500 either. But after consulting with Spencer he mentioned very minimal if not no oxidation around the subdial (slight discoloration). The condition of the dial itself is what really drives up the price along with the fact it’s the exact month and year of Col. Pogue’s, effectively making it highly likely it was made in the same batch or close, to his actual watch.

Here’s the convo I had for reference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way, you can do better if trading. If you find a buyer who will pay you $2500, take it and run.

I’d want that trade to have an original bracelet and no issues I’d have to address (lume).
Right, that was my initial thought was just doing a sell and I agree with the bracelet. The watch itself has no mechanical issues. The fact it was serviced by Adrian, I trust it’s reliability and mechanical soundness.

There is another JDM Speed Timer I am interested in and in contact with. Do you think this is an even better straight trade? Or a trade plus cash (cash going to me).

Btw I have a huge collection of 6139’s. Normally I’d easily know the answer to these things but I feel like this is a tough one due to the nature and popularity of True Pogues and the rarity of JDM Speed Timers. I just really need advice from you wonderful people! Thank you in advance to anyone helping out.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
This seems a bit overly complicated. My estimate on a very good blue, T AD JDM dial, serviced by a known expert, and ready to go with the right band would be no more than $1500. The one on Chrono 24 has the box and is a March version, so very early. But has it been serviced? It also may have had some light polishing on top of the case. It doesn’t have the chrome rimmed crystal which means it was changed out at some point. Still a fantastic watch but these can be had with a little digging. True Pogues have been going for some silly money lately.

Reactions: ricetime

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is your true pogue all original?
One to recent popularity surge of the true pogue you’d also have to consider that you will never find such nice example in the future for reasonable price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems a bit overly complicated. My estimate on a very good blue, T AD JDM dial, serviced by a known expert, and ready to go with the right band would be no more than $1500. The one on Chrono 24 has the box and is a March version, so very early. But has it been serviced? It also may have had some light polishing on top of the case. It doesn’t have the chrome rimmed crystal which means it was changed out at some point. Still a fantastic watch but these can be had with a little digging. True Pogues have been going for some silly money lately.

Right, it’s a bit complicated so that’s why I figured I’d ask here and so far great feedback and answers! I agree on the True Pogue’s value at the moment. They’ve been going for a lot (more than I even personally think they’re worth but that’s the market).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is your true pogue all original?
One to recent popularity surge of the true pogue you’d also have to consider that you will never find such nice example in the future for reasonable price.
Yep, all original to itself and a single owner. The guy’s dad bought him and his brother 6139’s in 71. One blue and this one. That is a good point too which I’ve considered. Which is why I’m feeling that I should hold onto it and not consider trading it at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sell it to spencer for $2,500

So in summary:

6139-6000 JDM + $200 for your 6139-6005 true pogue

Assuming yours is all original, and the other has relumed hands, I think i’ll pass on the trade.
Yeah, I asked him if he would like to purchase it from me but no response yet!

Yes that’s the math and I think I agree with you on the pass.. that’s what I’ve been leaning towards and it seems like the vast majority of people are saying the same exact thing. Thank you for your insight man.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Yes, well Spencer isn’t really a collector so I don’t think he would make an offer. But holding onto it makes sense. Don’t worry about FOMO, the blue JDMs are out there. And there are several watchsmiths here (like Adrian) who can address any problems if you get one that needs service if you don’t get one of the ones you have shown. Keep the faith!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I would be truly amazed if someone was willing to pay $2500 but who knows.
A little bloviating and the right amount of hype, anything's possible.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Even if it touched the good colonel's watch on the conveyor belt, I don't think it's a $2500 example.
What does Bertrand pay for his museum pieces? Any clue? Ballpark.

Rob

·
Special Member
2,689 Posts
The Blue JDM SpeedTimer on Chrono24 looks like a nice one. I see that the price has gone from "Reserved" to "Price on Request". Does anyone happen to know the asking price? Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think 600x prices are having a big bubble now and I would personally cash in on any credible offers to buy. If I were wanting of a particular 600x, then I would wait until the market corrects itself.
So in summary: sell yours for $2500 (is that USD? seriously?) if you can get it, then hunt for the one you want at a normal price, say $1500.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think 600x prices are having a big bubble now and I would personally cash in on any credible offers to buy. If I were wanting of a particular 600x, then I would wait until the market corrects itself.
So in summary: sell yours for $2500 (is that USD? seriously?) if you can get it, then hunt for the one you want at a normal price, say $1500.
I am not sure if there is going to be correction.

In general the 6138/9 are still one of best bargain in vintage watch considering their list price was at least $100 when it came out. Factoring inflation alone you could see that 5-6 times of that still get you very nice example today although not the true pogue.

As more and more people getting interested you can bet that certain model with real history like the true pogue will get more popular.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am not sure if there is going to be correction.

In general the 6138/9 are still one of best bargain in vintage watch considering their list price was at least $100 when it came out. Factoring inflation alone you could see that 5-6 times of that still get you very nice example today although not the true pogue.

As more and more people getting interested you can bet that certain model with real history like the true pogue will get more popular.
Maybe there won't be a correction and prices are where they should be. But looking at the Willard mania and then reissue price trends, I think the watch market is bubbling.
I like the smaller case 6139s myself and have no interest in Pogues or 6138s. As I monitor those price trends ($1k for a "Bruce Lee" ?!?!), I believe things are highly unpredictable, so I take my profits when I can get them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts