The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...with a little help from my friend Russell!

Trust me, the whole story about how this particular watch came into my possession is too long and complicated to tell in any great detail! Let it suffice to say that the story started with a search for and conversation with Russell around an original 6309-7040 dial, in good condition, for another watch. That story took a number of twists and turns, but ended up with a package arriving in South Africa, containing the complete and beautiful 6309-7049 from August 1980, that you see in these pictures.

Firstly, upon arrival the watch was running slow - losing around ten minutes a day. This meant that the movement would have to be serviced. However, everything else about this particular diver was absolutely perfect in my eyes, for a 30-year old watch!

All I did was fit a NOS crown and a new flat crystal (the correct type with the frosted edge). The movement was duly serviced and while we were about it, I had one modification made that I deem worthwhile, by installing a new hacking-kit. I opted to keep it simple, so it was shod with a super oyster and quality end links. Nothing else!!! Here she is:

Overall, the dial is astounding, with absolutely no defect and the lume on the indices and hands evenly aged and perfectly matched. It is one of the best I have personally set eyes on.

The true measure of what condition this watch was in is the bezel-insert. Guys, that is the original bezel insert in there, as far as I can tell!

To maintain its purity of line and shape as far as possible, I decided to not do any cosmetic work whatsoever to the case. This is how I got it, and IMHO it does not need refinishing! The case has a sharpness of line, and "Squarishness" that is really difficult to describe, unless you've seen it. I wish all my projects looked like this when they arrive....

The following individuals all had a hand in making this very special example possible: Russell, Pete, Jonathan, William, Wach and Manfred. Thank you so very much, you've all earned my undying gratitude.

Finally, on the wrist:

Thanks for sharing in my joy!

Alvin

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Superb 6309 - I assume you will have seen all the 6309 FAQ and archive posts on this site?

I will be flying to SA in two weeks - will keep a look out for you wearing this watch ;-)

·
Registered
211 Posts
And it looks better in the flesh, trust me! Nice, Alvin, and your pics are amazing. You're doing the South African branch of the forum proud!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks Guys!

Trust me, it was an easy "refresh". The potential was mostly already inherent in this puppy!

Harry, you coming to Cape Town at all? I'll PM you tomorrow, maybe we can hold a mini international WIS conference!

Regards

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
That looks superb Alvin, I agree you should leave it just as it is, it looks stunning. A true survivor in the nicest sense of the term.

Congrats!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
AKOMEOGI said:
Harry, you coming to Cape Town at all? I'll PM you tomorrow, maybe we can hold a mini international WIS conference!

Regards

Unfortunately not, we will be visiting my parents near Durban. The amazing thing is, I lived in South Africa from 1964 until 1984, and never got to see Cape Town. Back then traveling was for people who had more money than I had - I really should do something about that but with 5 of us to buy tickets for... :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
She's a real beauty, Alvin. I have one exactly like it that gets a good bit of wrist time.

So glad I could be a small part of this project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts