The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have to remove an odd number of links from a bracelet, do you guys remove the extra one from 12 o'clock or from 6?
I remove an extra link always from 6 because watches tend to gravitate towards the 12 o'clock side on my wrist, but I am not sure now if that is the right way to keep the watch balanced.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
All depends on which one will make the clasp most centered on my wrist. It varies.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Same here, but generally I would say this falls on the inside of the wrist for me at least.

sjbrook said:
All depends on which one will make the clasp most centered on my wrist. It varies.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
sjbrook said:
Yep! The goal is to keep the clasp, when closed, exactly below the watch head when you hold the watch by the case.

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
LUW said:
Yep! The goal is to keep the clasp, when closed, exactly below the watch head when you hold the watch by the case.

I disagree- the goal is to make the watch feel as comfortable as possible on the wrist. Because of the asymmetrical cross-section of most wrists (thicker on the thumb-side compared to the pinky-side), having a shorter 6-side combats the tendency of the watch to slip to the outside (pinky-side) of the wrist- which makes viewing hard and also subjects the case to more unintentional knocks. Faced with an especially asymmetrical wrist cross-section and always having my watch slip to the outside, I am working on making my wrists more symmetrical. Will post results ;-)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
if your wrist is asymmetrical, and the bracelet is loose, the watch will slip if the clasp is directly under the watch or not. It's a matter of physics.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
It really depends on yoru wrist and how you like to wear your watches. I personally find that I like my clasps with the release sligly closer to the inboard curve of my wrist, so on most seiko bracelets I find that I remove an extra link or two (depending on bracelet length), from the 1200 side of the bracelet, and usually only a couple from the 0600 side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With a 7.5" wrist, I almost always have to remove 2 links. I remove them both from the 6:00 side since this seems to balance the watch on the top of my wrist the way I like it.

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,745 Posts
I generally need to remove three links. Two from 6, and one from 12 works best for me...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
MikeyT said:
I generally need to remove three links. Two from 6, and one from 12 works best for me...
That's what works for me too, and the clasp sits directly below the watch.

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
With a 7 1/4 wrist i like my clasp closer to the 6 than the 12 just seems more balanced for my wrist.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I thought I was the only one with gimped wrists causing my watches to migrate outward (to 12). I guess it's normal anatomy?lol ;D Took a look at what I did to my SKX009 bracelet. Six links at 6 and eight links at 12. Looks unbalanced when the watch is on the night stand, but sits perfectly for me on the wrist. Good luck with your adjustments.

Curt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts