The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's say a watch can be purchased in the store for $700 plus sales tax but it could be ordered on the internet for $500 . So taking into account duties, taxes, sizing of watch band , do you think there will be any savings left ? The watch would be ordered from Canada via Fed Ex and I am not sure what extra charges would be imposed on it so if there is any financial benefit from not buying it in a store ? Specifically this is the Seiko Direct Drive Watch.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I have shipped watches to Canada via USPS and the recipients have never been pegged with any kind of import duties.

However, my recommendation, would be to check which carrier does the online store use to ship their watches internationally. Typically, watches shipped to Canada via FeDex, UPS or even DHL will be pegged with import duties upon delivery of the package.

In other words, your best bet would be to have the watch shipped to you via USPS first class international parcel to avoid import taxes and have the package be processed by Canadian customs a lot quicker.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
The quick answer is that in the US, online would definitely be a substantial savings in this case. In Canada, I'm guessing only our canadian members would know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
minidriver said:
I have shipped watches to Canada via USPS and the recipients have never been pegged with any kind of import duties.

However, my recommendation, would be to check which carrier does the online store use to ship their watches internationally. Typically, watches shipped to Canada via FeDex, UPS or even DHL will be pegged with import duties upon delivery of the package.

He's saying that if he orders it on-line, that it would be shipped from Canada.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Canada, I have no idea where the watch would be shipped from although I think it would come from the U.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts