The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

It is a very happy day!

When it was first released I thought the Seiko SRP043K was too big, too heavy, and too expensive with the non-hacking, non-hand-winding 4R15 movement, and with its half-pilot, half-diver styling (along with the S-R-P-0-K in it's model) that it deserved to be called the SPORK.

And what was with that second hand? The other two hands had black "ghost" bases, so why not the second hand? I mean if you are going to copy a Sinn 857 you might was well go all the way, right?

But over the next few months, the intensely lumed numerals, large timer bezel and Sinn styling eventually won me over. (I really am a sucker for lumed numerals on a dial.)

I bought one, and it become my One Watch Nirvana for several years and the rest of my collection languished unworn. I bought two more, as I could see the one I wore daily wouldn't last forever, and I also had a dream.

My dream was that Seiko should have made this watch with the 6R15 hacking, hand-winding movement, and a proper Sinn style second hand. And what the heck, throw on a sapphire crystal as well!

So I gathered the parts, and eventually hired the eminent Randall Benson, WD (aka Dr. Seiko) to perform the surgery. It turns out there is delicate custom work necessary to adapt the movement, using a split stem for the crown.

Yesterday as I was working on the "Triple-Double" posting, my sweet, old mail-carrier had me sign for the package below:

Click for Big Image

I didn't think of it at the time, but that box had obviously been used before. And when I opened it and saw the static-protection wrap, a thought started buzzing in the back of my mind.

Click for Big Image

Then when I saw the pink bubble wrap that we use at work, I realized Randall had saved every speck of material I had used to send him the watch, and reused it all to send the watch back to me!

Dr. Seiko is a VERY frugal guy! ^L^

Click for Big Image

Getting closer... I was fairly nervous, as I had been working toward this result for a few years, and now I was to see the results...

Click for Big Image

Even closer...

Click for Big Image

This looked weird to me, as it is again the exact shipping materials I sent him, and wrapped in exactly the same way as well. And these are the exact same parts I sent him; a second hand, stem, movement and crystal.

It just looked odd to see it come back, looking almost identically to how I sent it out. Spooky!

Click for Big Image

Okay, the moment of truth!

I was very nervous, I couldn't bring myself to slide the watch head out of the foam tube! ºLº

Click for Big Image

Taadaa! ^L^ I shouldn't have worried. Behold the "Super Spork"!

A brand new Seiko SRP043K with a 6R15 movement, Yobokies Sinn pilot second hand and a flat sapphire crystal.

Click for Big Image

The daylight hand color of the Yobokies second hand is perfect and so is the lume color. I could not be any happier!

In fact the lume is so intense on this watch that I had to reduce my normal ten-second lume exposure down to two seconds, or the hands were over-exposed!

Click for Big Image

What? You want a "blinky" shot?? ^L^ But the two pictures are right up above, why would you need a blinky??

Oh, okay fine! Here you go...

Click for Big Image

Of course, the next step was to put it on a brand new, never-worn bracelet and take a wrist shot, right?

Gosh, this feels so precious to me right now, I'm not sure I can wear the darn thing! I took so long to get this done, and after all the waiting and dreaming, I am afraid to damage it!

Click for Big Image

Okay, I'll tie this up, thank you for clicking in, and reading along.

I think I am going to have to have another one of these made, so I can wear one and keep the other in it's "ivory tower". ^L^

And maybe the next time, I will also have Dr. Seiko add his incredible (Rolex style?) Triple Seal Crown!

Take care,

- Thomas

·
Registered
300 Posts
Another wonderful unveiling posting Thomas. Hang on while I get my popcorn, then read again. Gorgeous diver. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Very nice! I'm glad I got mine when I did . . . . they are great watches and you've gone and made yours even more personally enjoyable!

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great mod Thomas, I like it better than the original, nicely done!

If you mean the Sinn 857, the Super Spork is about US$1500 cheaper! :)

And if you mean compared to the the original Spork, well sure, all the changes were improvements, in my opinion. :p

- Thomas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts