The Watch Site banner

Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 Review

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  thianwong1 
#1 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I managed to buy a used one here in Japan at a favorite used items store. It was made around 1992 and came with box and a service checklist! Its # is : 415.0022 and has the 861 movement. It is boxed up now as I didn't wear it much! I think that since it did not have the date function, I tended to choose my other watches. The Moonwatch is well made and low profile. It is iconic.... but I have too many watches (40) to choose from ! hahha!

On a custom leather by G. in Greece....
balcony edge2 by blingmeister, on Flickr

#17 · (Edited)
Well, I ended up trading my Moonwatch for a SINN 103 ti TESTAF chrono pilot. My main complaint was no date on the Moonwatch. As much as it is touted a must have watch, I could not wear it. So, like the 6105 grail, I got rid of the Moonwatch.
Now, what was so compelling in the SINN pilot chrono? It touched all the boxes for a grail to me: titanium, 42mm, sapphire crystals front and back, 200m water depth, heat range from -40C to +80C, AR capsule to reduce inside moisture, date/day in German, repellent to other liquids around airports, high quality lume, solid mechanical Valjoux movement with large minute hand (for chronos).......
The TESTAF designation comes from a German made pilot watch test created in 2012.

The Omega Moonwatch has the provenance, but it is rather hyped IMO. I have the Omega Astronaut X-33 and understand provenance.

The TESTAF has no such historical provenance but it is technically a superior time piece. The 17mm thickness even does not have a fault for me since I also wear the Marathon JSAR at 17mm thick!hand over rail by toypoodleKimi, on Flickr

For those who cannot affort the Omega Moonwatch, try looking at this Bulova Moonwatch replica. On the 1971 Apollo 15 moon mission Cpt. Scott was given a prototype watch to try. He forgot about it during mission. Then when he was about to exit the capsule, his issued Omega failed with a cracked crystal. He remembered the Bulova prototype and wore THAT watch on the moon.
Since it was not government issued, he did not mention it to NASA nor the public. 40 odd years later he mentioned it....and Bulova made a modern version of that watch, installing their high pricision quartz and a date. These models were made for a short run and sold initially around $450. Used ones can be found for around $300.
outside on rail by toypoodleKimi, on Flickr
http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bulova-moon-watch/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.