The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an equal opportunity watch lover, though my heart is with Seiko.

If you love watches, Japan, & the Olympics then you will love this commercial from Omega: Omega Olympic Video

[AS A SIDE NOTE] I have to say it is sad (& more than a little disgraceful for Seiko) that they were not awarded the official timekeeper of the Tokyo Olympics...anybody know if they tried and failed or ??

JR
IG: @my_seiko_obsession

·
Special Member
15,186 Posts
I am an equal opportunity watch lover, though my heart is with Seiko.

If you love watches, Japan, & the Olympics then you will love this commercial from Omega: Omega Olympic Video

[AS A SIDE NOTE] I have to say it is sad (& more than a little disgraceful for Seiko) that they were not awarded the official timekeeper of the Tokyo Olympics...anybody know if they tried and failed or ??

JR
Nice ad.

I was thinking the exact same thing - I thought Seiko would be plastered all over the olympics. It's actually a pretty big fail for Japan/Seiko IMO no matter how you look at it. The golden opportunity to stand toe-to-toe with the Swiss timekeepers. I'm sure the negotiations to be the "official time keeper" of the olympics is a totally separate process from the awarding of locations, but still ... ouch.

Has anyone seen any Seiko TV ads during the games yet?

Reactions: brodog49

·
Special Member
3,164 Posts
I can tell you NBC paid 1.6 billion for the rights to air the Olympics. The spots for advertising in prime time have a hefty price tag as well. I'm sure the price for official timekeeping was astronomical.
Maybe out of Seiko's budget, but what a miss on some serious commemorative releases.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I hear you @scubarob99 BUT...you find the money for a once in a generation sponsorship like that in your home country IMHO. Kill the marketing budget for 3 quarters if you have to, but to have Seiko plastered all over Tokyo and TV's across the world, they should have made it happen. Not my money so easy for me to say.

:)

JR

·
Special Member
15,186 Posts
We'll see throughout the course of the olympics what Seiko does for branding. It's one thing to market and create for your nation, it's another to market and create for the world. This is where the big boys come to play - let's see if Seiko shows up.

Reactions: brodog49

·
Special Member
3,164 Posts
Yup, matter of National Pride as well, right? I'm really surprised too. Thought they would have sold their firstborn children.
Then again, like NBC that has an inked deal on olympics thru 2032, maybe Omega is the official timekeeper for the next decade as well, no way for Seiko to break thru on a single Olympics.
I am actually heading to Orlando for the next 4 days, for the domestic viewing party, I might ask people in the know.

Rob

·
Special Member
15,186 Posts
Yup, matter of National Pride as well, right? I'm really surprised too. Thought they would have sold their firstborn children.
Then again, like NBC that has an inked deal on olympics thru 2032, maybe Omega is the official timekeeper for the next decade as well, no way for Seiko to break thru on a single Olympics.
I am actually heading to Orlando for the next 4 days, for the domestic viewing party, I might ask people in the know.

Rob

I was thinking the same. To be fair to Seiko, the "official timekeeper" slot may have been filled years ago before there was anything they could do about it ...
Enjoy your travel to Orlando and be safe. Looking forward to hearing the highlights ....

Reactions: scubarob99

·
Registered
438 Posts
I took a peek - back in 2017 Omega re-upped as official timekeeper and "top sponsor" (at least $100 million spent) through 2032. I think the only thing that matters to the IOC is the bottom line - Japan's national pride is likely really, really far down their list...

·
Special Member
15,186 Posts
I took a peek - back in 2017 Omega re-upped as official timekeeper and "top sponsor" (at least $100 million spent) through 2032. I think the only thing that matters to the IOC is the bottom line - Japan's national pride is likely really, really far down their list...
Interesting. So thanks for looking into that.

This will be Omega's 29th time filling the roll of official timekeeper (so I keep reading). It looks like 1964 was Seiko's only time at the helm, so obviously knocking off Omega is not a trivial task. Still, it has to be painful to take a backseat to the Swiss in the homeland.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first post here at the Watch Site!

I have a big soft spot for Seiko, with the majority of my albeit small collection being made of a few new but mostly, vintage timepieces of theirs (which I hope to one day be skilled enough to service adequately).

Anyhow, I happened across this forum thread and it's ironic that, I was musing about this very topic with Seiko and Omega at the Tokyo Olympics, during the Opening Ceremony (which is kind of sad as I should have been totally preoccupied with the rapture and color of the event.... yeah so disappointed 😒 As it was, I even ended up watching Seiko disassembly and restoration videos of a 7005 whilst those two long winded IOC president speeches took over 30 minutes..but I digress).

As I saw mentioned in previous above posting, 2017 Omega paid so much for keeping the official timekeepers and sponsor stamp on the Olympics. What I find interesting is that it doesn't seem that Seiko even tendered for the position of Official Timekeeper when the opportunity was there. This doesn't mean to say that they didn't but I am not finding any evidence at all of them doing that. A lot of times unsuccessful tenders are not made public knowledge for various reasons but usually one can find snippets of ideas or communications online hinting to such depending on the organization.

One does wonder if more should have been made of Seiko trying to get this for the 2020 games. National identity and cultural pride is still a very important part of the Japanese culture and it was odd that there was such a lack or representation of modern Japanese cultural identity even in the Opening Ceremony too. Technology and pride in innovation is/was such a big part of building modern Japan, though I recently saw it argued that Japan has been resting on its laurels of late, taking a backseat and not making headway in the 21st century with digital technology, like they did was analog tech.

I have no idea what the Seiko group is like vs the Swatch group for their fiscal worth, and how much money they would have to throw around for an event like this.

I also wonder if perhaps, Seiko might just be very lucky in some ways they DIDN'T get involved in this Olympics. So much of the press I've seen has been so negative and with the pandemic impacting tourism and spending in Tokyo right now, I really do wonder how this will have a broader affect on the Japanese economy and whether a lot of companies involved with this Olympic games will be making a loss, because all they invested now won't see the projected return.

·
Special Member
3,164 Posts
Toyota on the other hand is one of the bigger advertisers. The orange part is Toyota

Rob

·
Special Member
15,186 Posts
what kind of spread does Seiko have?

·
Special Member
3,164 Posts
All I see is Swiss. I'll be sporting a Pogue and my wife is sticking with her moon phase 7A48.

Rob

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a Junghans Olympic Automatic from the 72 Munich games. I bought it at a flea market in Cologne. The seller tried to tell me it was from the 60s. I pointed out it was from the 70s, 1972 to be exact. Sorry, I dont have a pic available to share at this moment. Mine looks like this one poached from the net only much cleaner.

·
Special Member
3,158 Posts
As an Omega fan too I’m happy they got the deal. I’m also thrilled that Rolex didn’t get it or didn’t try. Omega does have a long history of timing the Olympics. But I do have some cool original ads by Seiko for the 1964 Olympics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mwadner

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Picked this little piece of memorabilia up last year.

Art Font Rectangle Crest Emblem

Seiko was the official timer for Olympics on six occasions from what I can see.

1964 Tokyo
1972 Sapporo (winter)
1992 Barcelona
1994 Lillehammer (winter)
1998 Nagano (winter)
2002 Salt Lake City (winter)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts