The Watch Site banner

Omega Constellation

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  4522-7010 
#1 ·
Seeking information and discussion about a family member's Omega Constellation.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

It is an heirloom and I believe passed down within the family from the original owner. It runs but it stops occasionally so it probably needs a service. It appears to be dirty from wear and unpolished.

The dial appears to have gotten some spotty markings on it, but everything else under the crystal looks good.

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Strap Fashion accessory

I think this is what they call a gold-capped model. The case is stainless steel with a gold cap on the front/top and a gold medallion on the caseback. Other than a single horrendous tool mark across the back, it is in good shape. (That wasn't me, by the way - the mark was already there.)

The crown is the 10-sided version but is un-signed - maybe a replacement along the way? I assume the original would have had the Omega emblem on it....
Metal Fashion accessory Coin Silver Silver

The inside of this watch is more beautiful than the outside in my opinion. The attention to detail in a part of the watch that basically never gets seen is pretty amazing. The machine turned finish on the inside of the caseback is nice. What does the marking "14393 61 SC" refer to?

Wow. Pretty movement. What is that metal?

Other than some fingerprints/smudges, it looks very nice inside to me.
The serial number dates this one to 1961, I think.

Assuming that it needs to be disassembled, cleaned, oiled, and reassembled, is that something that a relatively new DIYer should consider with this movement? I guess I'm asking if there are any special considerations with this movement when compared to a Seiko automatic movement. Anyone know of a link to a step by step service on these?

See less See more
#3 ·
"...remember reading in this article a while back that the original crown (which yours appears to have)..."

Thanks for the link! That explains the crown. It is probably original, as you say, but the gold plate is worn off which also means the Omega emblem is gone.... But, as the article says, original in worn condition is better then not original.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has owned these or serviced them about any concerns with servicing them...

#4 ·
The movement is a caliber 551, 24 jewel, chronometer grade. One of the great Swiss movements, IMO. The metal is rose gold ... pretty amazing finish considering that nobody would see it except during service. As twall points out, those crowns wear down pretty easily, which is why it’s (now) unsigned. The “pie-pan” dial is iconic; I have a similar watch from 1962. I’m sure that step-by-step service instructions exist someplace; my greatest concern would be that it’s a 60-year-old movement for which parts are difficult to come by.

#5 ·
"...my greatest concern would be that it’s a 60-year-old movement for which parts are difficult to come by..."

Very good point. With the Seiko movements that I've been working on, if a part goes pinging away, I can probably find a replacement. Not as likely with this one.

This article: https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/omega is full of movement eye-candy. It's a really beautifully designed movement. But it does look very specifically different than Seiko movements... It will probably be a good idea for me to pay someone to service this one - someone that has worked on these models before.

#6 ·
Yes, I'd recommend having someone with some experience (and possibly a parts movement or two in the bottom drawer) service it. You don't want to be learning on a watch for which parts are scarce.
I have an Omega 354 bumper automatic that should be serviced and shouldn't be much more complex that some of the simple hand winders that I've done, but the parts issue and lack of familiarity is holding me back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The watch is original, the movement is made of brass, it has micro adjustments, the so-called swan neck.
There are many parts on the aftermarket.
To say 100% about the watch you need better pictures, serial numbers inside and on movement.
Often folders from various models hit the market (original components)
It's a Gold cap, and the medallion is not gold but brass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.