1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old Seiko Sports bracelet sells for £60

Am I missing something here?
Why did this bracelet sell on our favourite auction site for so much money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Seiko-sports-5-clasp-strap-links-part-project-pepsi-seahorse-diashock-/321411957640?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=eIHCL3b6xUModjh5zXGyEQR5QpU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The description says new without tags but the clasp is clearly very scratched.
It also appears to be quite short.
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well i am not sure..it is not new...maybe a model not very common...seems very strange to me too

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I paid over that for one of my bracelets. For my 7016-8000. It was NOS and the same bracelet used on the 8020 Panda which is why it was more than you would normally expect to pay though. Finished the watch off a treat :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I would pay a lot for the right bracelets. for another brand I like, bracelets (new versions) run from $500-1000 on a good day. don't underestimate what a bracelet should cost.

there's nothing like having a full, vintage bracelet to complete a watch's look and "wearability."

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I would pay a lot for the right bracelets. for another brand I like, bracelets (new versions) run from $500-1000 on a good day. don't underestimate what a bracelet should cost.

there's nothing like having a full, vintage bracelet to complete a watch's look and "wearability."

<* shark >>><
So true but as we all know it is often harder to find the bracelet than it is the watch :(

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Buy the bracelet, then find the watch!
Thats the clock faking rule *note I DO NOT fake my clocks!

They say buy the bezel then build the clock around it. I know of clocks in the Royal collection that are fake. The more the clock is worth, the harder you have to look at it.... Shame as there are a lot of total bastards getting rich off folks lack of knowledge when it comes to clocks.

T

·
Registered
578 Posts

<* shark >>><
Absolutely ...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thats the clock faking rule *note I DO NOT fake my clocks!

T
Nor I my watches!
But it is a good philosophy when collecting watches. You can never find the bracelet to fit the watch you just brought.... But buy a random bracelet and you'll soon find the glorious watch that should go on it.

Ah, yeah alright that's crap, never worked for me yet!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
bands are just as important as the watch...i love the original bands...some watches are unwearable without that unique band...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Foundation's

To build a building you need the Foundation right ?
Same with watchs I would say get the Foundation to built on to stay
" That's the bracelet to support the watch on ".
The watch can be bought, but what holds it on the wrist......
" The Bracelet or Strap ".
Other things are similar also.
One can be gotten, but one might be harder to get.
Its a matter of first choices to everything.
Watchs do not support themselves, but bracelets support them.
Yet without the watch it is still missing the bracelet parts to be complete.
For watchs, the .... Modern Invention of ..... " The Parts Lot ', has been
invented to get...... " Both Of Them ".
.......... " Are not both of them needed " ? ..........

" Matter of what one wants to come first, or get both in a ........... " LOT ".".

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nor I my watches!
But it is a good philosophy when collecting watches. You can never find the bracelet to fit the watch you just brought.... But buy a random bracelet and you'll soon find the glorious watch that should go on it.

Ah, yeah alright that's crap, never worked for me yet!
I know that and it's one reason I love buying watches from you. Everything you do is 'honest repairs' which is perfectly fine. NOS and a watch that has been used daily are two different beasts. If I wanted crap cobbled together out of spare parts I'd go on ebay and buy off one of those guys in Wiltshire but I love the fact that every watch I have off you looks nice and cared for but you don't hide the fact that these watches have been worn :cool:

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Supply and demand, it's a simple as that. I'd easily pay that or more for a correct bracelet if I needed it to complete my watch. I just paid about $160 for Longines bracelet that *should* fit my 1954 Conquest. It was a BIN and I hit the button as fast as I could. Most vintage bracelets weren't constructed all that well, and often didn't survive. I'm still looking for a bracelet for my Seiko 6139-6032 Speed Timer, and I'd happily pay that....hint hint....;)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Frankly with regard to the actual item in the start of this post, there is no reason it went for essentially $100 USD. I bought the same clasp NOS for $15 right here on SCWF and the straight ends makes it easy to find a ton of substitutes. The bracelet is far from new.

Somebody just wanted it more than another guy and both were prepared to pay.

Or he had a schill bidder and an innocent fish on the hook. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts