The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up two nice (well to me) Seikos. Both have issues with the crystals, but I knew that when I bought them.

The first is a Sportsmatic Deluxe Day/Date 7619-7010. The crystal is scratched and has a crack that runs along the side from about 8Pm to 10PM. Still in very nice condition for a watch made in 1965.

It came without a strap so I ended up putting it on a very inexpensive black silicone strap. It has become my "church" watch. I'm a little rough on watches, so I don't think it will come to work with me. I plan on fitting a new crystal, but not much more.

Second is a plain jane SKX173. It's in pretty good shape except for a ding and several scratches on the crystal. A nice bonus is that I paid what I though was a good price and it ended up coming with all it's papers, boxes, etc. Watch production date is apparently March 2000.

I have ended up alternating this with my Mako every other day - well sometimes I switch watches mid-day. I have become something of a libertine after being exposed to you people ;). I think I'll be fitting a new crystal in this one too. Bought it with the intention of flipping it if I didn't like how it felt on my wrist. I don't think that will happen soon, if at all. :)

Not bad for a little less than $91 total for the two watches, in my opinion. ;D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was about the 100th Sportsmatic I had put on my "Watch" list on eBay. :-\

I'd much rather have an opportunity to buy watches at fairs, etc., but am limited by my location.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Neil. I felt it was a really good deal for $11.00 ($19.50 total shipped).

I kept seeing them on the forum and even though I initially thought I was going to only collect divers and military styled watches the Sportsmatics kept calling to me ;) .

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Great deal on both watches but especially that Sportsmatic. I have a love for those but still dont own a wearable one.

Congrats, wear them both in good health.,..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I like the Sportsmatic! I have a few, and I think my favorite thing about them is they almost always start running as soon as you pick them up. Even abused ones. Gotta love those old slow-beat movements. I actually bought the 6619 below as a parts watch for an identical one I already had. Needless to say, I didn't have the heart to part it out.

Coincidentally, I also recently picked up a super-cheap 173. It was one of those auctions on the Bay that "fell through the cracks". Seller had a bad pic, and simply described the watch as "seiko mens watch". Won it by $0.32. Wore it to the wrecking yard today! ;D

I think that $91 is a steal for both of those...like buy one get one free! ---A

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160425270581&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Attachments

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's how I feel too Cobrajet. Kinda makes up for the Seiko Auto that I bought that I'm still waiting for (buyer sent me an empty envelope and is no longer a registered user on Ebay - I'll eventually get my money back, but it's disheartening).

The SKX has become my default work watch. With the scratched crystal I'm not scared of abusing it while I'm working. My Mako is still in great condition... I'm off to strip a roof right now with it on!

I've found the best way to find those "in the crack" watches is to troll the listings constantly and then use a sniping agent. I've missed out on a lot of watches, but it's less stressful to me because we can have spotty internet connection here. I also don't get "caught up" in the excitement of bidding and bid too much.

I haven't timed the Sportsmatic, but it has really impressed me. It's the second oldest watch I have (my father gave me a 1958 Hamilton dress watch that's currently not working), but it seems to keep time as well as the rest of my watches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congra BobbyMike,
After a few years of Seikolomatic studies in this forum, I still got the feeling that Seiko in its 60's was at its peak. Very collectable & still sometimes undervalued in watches esp. after 1964 olypmic games till the end of the proof watch era in apporx. late 1969.
Tough my theme is still sports watch with external bezel & with a black face.
Happy hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts