The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Okay, these first few we've already seen...

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

So, what is in the big bundle, eh?

Click for Big Image

Oh, just an incredible 1971 Grand Seiko 5646-7010 (aka 56 GS Hi-Beat) with a 28,000 bph movement.

Click for Big Image

It is in fantastic condition, with a star-burst silver dial, and those "precision" hands.

I can't understand why it went cheap enough for me to snag, but I'm not complaining!!

Click for Big Image

The oh-so-lovely GS crown.

Click for Big Image

The "common" side.

Click for Big Image

And the case-back.

Notice the end-links of the bracelet, by the way, no clearance for getting the spring-pin out??

Click for Big Image

I was in a big hurry to get the strange bracelet off and get this watch onto a nice matte-black leather strap, but it took a few moments before I found the secret to removing this bracelet! :rolleyes: Very tricky!

Click for Big Image

WOW!

Just WOW! :eek: I'm speechless, which isn't easy!!

Click for Big Image

All of these were nice watches, but the last two were just stupendous!

Thanks for watching!

- Thomas

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
wow....that is amazing...where do you find them all...great work...

·
"The Prospector"
4,649 Posts
Another lovely watch, another great buy Thomas, I'm not at all envious :( Enjoy !!
Love the dial and the black strap btw !!! Sets the GS off really well. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good eye and perfect taste, as allways :bowing:
Please, think of me if and when you'll want to slim down your wonderful collection :rolleyes:

Mathieu

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No secret, just patience..

HOW do you ever find these type of watches????? There must be a secret!

No secret really, I buy 99% of them off eBay. But be careful, the vintage world is 95% lies and over-polished, badly overhauled, mixed parts and con artists. I would recommend you only buy (on eBay at least) from "saitama_jp", "nonkun0508" and "hosoirenmei". You can also visit the Antique Watch Bar (http://antiquewatchat.blogspot.com) but you may pay more.

I have also giving some business to these two sellers lately, "seikocitizencollector", "reed0702", and a little to "Hiroki-Japan". But those first three sellers are still my "go to" guys.

I was advised to be patient as well. Don't get obsessed with one example of a watch you want. Folks post watches for sale every day, so if there is something not right about one, just wait for another. Good advice.

And ask us lots of questions, read lots of "history" articles, like the database forum at Seikoholics (http://seikoholics.yuku.com/forums/69/Japanese-Watch-Info-Database#.VNbKcMZWFs0) and Google the Seiko models numbers and movements as you shop, and read all the cool links that come up.

I still have a lot to learn, but follow the rules, pay with PayPal and you should be protected. I took a chance with a seller "w-doors' recently, which I do not think I will repeat, and I am in the process of asking for a return and refund. Ah well, live and learn!

- Thomas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts