The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am finally going to finish my long term project H601 arnie and it needs a good cleaning...but i can not get the crystal out...so will it ruin the chapter ring and insert if it is left in there?...any good solutions for removing the crystal?..as you know space is very limited on the arnie models...i do not want to ruin it...thanks in advance...i searched the forum and did not see what i needed

Attachments

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that is what i was worries about...ok..what is a good solution to remove that crystal....my press is not small enough to press it out...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i will have to do and that is my worry...i bet they are not easy to find a replacement...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey i am told this has a crystal retaining....but i can not find the seam to remove it...is there a disassembly guide or exploded view...anyone fully disassemble on of these?....thanks in advance John

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here are a few pics of my H558.

The retaining ring comes off very easily with a case knife or similar tool.

The crystal comes out with finger pressure (and goes back in the same way).

You'll need a crystal press and suitable die to re-fit the retaining ring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sir Alan is right.
Crystal will pop out after the retaining ring is popped off.
You need a good thin strong blade to remove the retaining ring.
Take care not to mark it.
Chapter ring internal depth meter is plastic, have not seen to many dirty ones, so wipe clean with soft wipe.
The other chapter ring with line markings is metal and again have not seen to many dirty ones,, maybe a soft wipe again.
And then a water rinse and leave to dry, to remove any soft wipe tissue hairs.
Good luck
Wayne

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A word of warning.... Don't put too much trust in ultrasonic cleaners. They are good bits of kit but can become your worst nightmare. If your unsure clean stuff the old fashion way with various dip jars and tincture of green soap and a soft brush.
I know it's not the same but I restore old clocks for my living. I always clean the movements 'now' by hand using dip jars and peg wood. I've seen bits vanish before my eyes in the ultrasonics and also seen other parts shatter! Cast brass being one of the items likely too break apart. People put too much faith in the ultrasonic but you can not beat doing it the old fashion way with care and a gentle touch and some peg wood :) I still use my ultrasonic cleaner which is a industrial unit used in hospitals but only for cleaning the most dirty of items and nothing likely to make you cry when it goes ping and breaks up never to be seen again.... Jewels are some thing I have been told by professional watch guys and amateurs to check after using a ultrasonic cleaner for instance :) Can't wait to see the finished watch! Got a soft spot for vintage quartz LCD watches (might have seen my Dukes Of Hazzard watch the other day on the forum)!

Good luck!

Tone

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey i seen that dukes of hazzard..love it...and thank you for info too..i think the ultrasonic is great to get into those next to impossible parts to clean like bands ...thanks again John

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey i just looked at mine...i do not see that at all...i even tried to split what i thought was there and nothing..are we all sure the H601 has that retaining ring like the H558?...i will try and get some pics soon...

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sir Alan thank you for pics..very helpful...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Don't ultrasonic the chapter ring!
I did a nice 6309 one once and all the white markers washed off. I have a black ring for mods now though:undecided:

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bezel is removed and spring under it...it must have that crystal retainer but seem is not visable at all....

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and when i try and split it it will not budge

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Don't ultrasonic the chapter ring!
I did a nice 6309 one once and all the white markers washed off. I have a black ring for mods now though:undecided:
We learn the hard way aye! I have one of those too. Been practicing fine line painting but alas :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts