The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didn't wish to pay stupid money for one, so decided to make one myself !

- 4 x 25mm Dolls House Miniature White Glazed Ceramic Bowls
- Hardwood floor sample / off-cut

Drilled holes with tapered drill-bit for oils reservoirs and oiler cleaning pith
filled with clear silicone as a bed for the bowls + two further holes for my
oilers - super fine & medium

Didn't have any varnish to hand, but good as it is don't you think?

What else do you need ! - Job Done...:cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like your ingenuity! Next step would be to make covers for the pots, as exposure to air does degrade the oil in short order, especially if contaminants can enter.
Good thinking Batman !
I plan to syringe what I need at the time of doing a job, so there shouldn't be much wastage or unused material sitting around..
But yes you're correct, I forgot lids for them.
Thinking of a solution..(y)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good thinking Batman !
I plan to syringe what I need at the time of doing a job, so there shouldn't be much wastage or unused material sitting around..
But yes you're correct, I forgot lids for them.
Thinking of a solution..(y)
You may find that the small amount you use each time is so small that you will be unable to put that much in a pot and still be able to get it onto an oiler. Also, you do not want to keep all of them uncovered while you are working on a watch. Keep them all covered, uncover as you need to put some on an oiler, then cover back up. You will be astounded at how quickly the detritus of life itself will contaminate it if left open for even a minute or two.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may find that the small amount you use each time is so small that you will be unable to put that much in a pot and still be able to get it onto an oiler. Also, you do not want to keep all of them uncovered while you are working on a watch. Keep them all covered, uncover as you need to put some on an oiler, then cover back up. You will be astounded at how quickly the detritus of life itself will contaminate it if left open for even a minute or two.
Thank you for you advice.
I shall certainly keep them covered whilst working. (y)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Fantastic.

If you find the pots too big you could perhaps add a bit of sealant and mount them tilted towards you a bit and then it would maximise the depth of a small amount of oil to allow dipping the oiler. The speed/angle of dipping dictates the drop size on the oiler.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic.

If you find the pots too big you could perhaps add a bit of sealant and mount them tilted towards you a bit and then it would maximise the depth of a small amount of oil to allow dipping the oiler. The speed/angle of dipping dictates the drop size on the oiler.
I didn't have the flared wood drill bit to hand, so used a conical one.
The pots are all bed in sealant, but your tip of mounting them at an angle towards you is a good one.
I may have a second attempt - If I can take them off that is. (y)

·
Special Member
27,973 Posts
One would think that having an oiling station would be for a commercial setting where the station is being used all day every day. Just a thought over Coffee :) And of course it is just Plain Cool to have one that you built ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One would think that having an oiling station would be for a commercial setting where the station is being used all day every day. Just a thought over Coffee :) And of course it is just Plain Cool to have one that you built ;)
That's exactly correct.
But you do need something when you do a job however infrequent that may be. :sneaky:

·
Craftsman
1,741 Posts
Nicely done and should serve you well. I agree it is important to cover those pots. One thing I see and read from professional watchmakers is the pots are closed and only open when you need to take oil and then closed back up. Change your oil in the pots frequency. Most say weekly. I have reverted to placing my entire oil setup in a small plastic zip lock bag when not in use between jobs and this is thus far allowing me to keep oil longer in the posts without contamination from dust, etc.

Reactions: Aloha73
1 - 12 of 12 Posts