The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm starting my first clean and re-oil project on a Citizen Aqualand, so I've been searching the forum on cleaning methods and have a few questions and thoughts on the subject.

I did a search for Cletop and Kimwipe and didn't find anything on this forum. The Cletop's are a great cleaning tool (but also expensive) for lint-free cleaning. They are commonly used in the fiber optics industries.

The Kimwipes are a low-lint rated wipe which I would think would work very well when cleaning watches too.

I've used cotton swabs as many others do, but under a loop, I can see many tiny fibers that easily get stuck on just about everything. I also see the same with common paper towels leaving tiny fibers behind.

Does anyone have any tips for ultrasonic cleaning regarding the cleanser, containment of tiny parts, and a standard time to leave them in? I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, but don't want to loose anything in it - it is probably close to a 5 gallon capacity.

If not using an ultrasonic cleaner, what is a good chemical to soak parts in? I've seen Diggers Shellite recommended, which I guess is a type of Naptha...and then I've read that all Naptha's aren't the same...a tangent I'm not interested in researching! Anyone know of something that works well? I was going to start with hardware store Naptha. Has anyone ever used vinegar?

Also, any good advice on brand & weight of oils & where to get them?

I've torn my watch down to all its little pieces, some look clean and some are pretty cruddy (a few pix below). This watch is a practice watch. I have another "junk" one to make mistakes on which will be next, then I'll go for repairing the "nice" ones :)

TIA for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Good luck, this is the fun part of the watch hobby !

I use Dawn soap with a quick spray of Windex in the Ultrasonic bath for cleaning the case parts and bracelets. Works great.

I do not have any clue as to best solutions to use to clean the metal movement parts.

Pop in a new crystal and this thing will look brand new !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
In most cases the matter of propercleaning is vastly exaggerated. I uses isoprophilic alcohol, which is the same a professional rinsing solution, and does not smell bad. For case and parts give it a good brushing, and do not put printed, painted, lumed part in contact with any chemical.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
For containing parts in the ultrasonic I use a small basket that is designed for holding tea leaves in a teapot. This is able to be closed and the mesh is fine enough that the parts can not slip through.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I clean the movement parts with Automotive brake cleaner, its approx 60% Naptha with a mixture of propane and butane thrown into the mix.
It evaporates very quickly and doesn't leave a residue behind unlike Naptha based lighter fuels.
Be careful as its highly inflammable and use it in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
For containing parts in the ultrasonic I use a small basket that is designed for holding tea leaves in a teapot. This is able to be closed and the mesh is fine enough that the parts can not slip through.
... funny. I use them also, never told anyone because I thought it was so silly and unprofessional! :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the tea strainer method, will have to pick one up.

I hadn't thought of using break cleaner, that stuff is pretty aggressive, at least here in the USA...I think I have some in the garage :)

I'll experiment tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
well i use white vinegar on all my stainless parts in my ultrasonic...it takes a while but it cleans them well and i see not ill effects...but it is stinky....i would suggest you contact LongBike as he is the resident expert with Aqualands and he can recommend what he does...and he is amazing to guide u as well....God Bless John...he restored mine to almost new condition from being totally dead...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you John, I'll try Vinegar on a couple rusty parts and see what happens.

I've had some contact with LongBike a few times and review his posts on Aqualands for guidance, he is quite helpful. TheNeilo (Aqualand King) had quite a few good posts too to reference.

Anyone have any suggestions on what type and weight of oil to use? I think I have the technical reference for the C02X somewhere and it shows various types of oil for different parts of the watch, I'll have to dig it up.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Traditionally watchmakers have used White Spirts to clean steel movement parts. I use a similar product (very hard to get White Spirits here anymore). I use another product before that though - it's more aggressive.
I let the part soak in it then rinse them through my watchmakers cleaning machine jars.

Soaking steel (only) movement parts in brake cleaner sounds like a good idea. Rinse them off in a cleaner that will evaporate off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently, I have completely stopped cleaning because it has a very negative effect on my health. I'm talking about the use of chemicals when cleaning. Somehow I decided to use one cool chemical to get rid of insects and I didn't know that there were heavy metals in the composition. As a result, I felt unwell and called the doctor. He said that it is best not to go to the laboratory for testing, but to order an express test from https://www.myhealthconfirm.com/. I did so and it turned out that I had an excess of gadolinium in my body. So don't use chemicals!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts