The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
8)

Great story Spencer. And you got the driftwood as nice memento.
I always heard Volvo's were great, but this is just too cool.
Must have been quite a shock to find yourself submerged. I would've freaked out. LOL.

Cheers,
Dave.

I was more like "Oh well, my fault for being an idiot". But the Volvo was fine - two years after that storm we packed it up and drove cross-country with our toddler and two cats and made it just fine. We drove it on errands last Sunday.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
What year/model Volvo is it?

I have always believed pre-Ford era Volvos were stodgy but sturdy, tank like cars in the finest Swedish tradition. The new Volvos are OK cars and seem to be a mixed bag in terms o reliability. I always liked the old squared off Volvos with cavernous interiors over the sleek/aerodynamic models of today. :))

Here I am thinking of these....

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
watchcap said:
The more people with that attitude, the better as far as I'm concerned. When was the last time you heard a mugger say "Hand over that Seiko!"?

Hand over that Seiko Ananta!

Hand over that Grand Seiko!

Hand over that Seiko Credor!

You know... Thieves can get pretty fancy and inform themselves of what Seikos they should be targeting :))

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
minidriver said:
What year/model Volvo is it?

1990 240 DL Wagon - got it off of my sister for $1000 close to a decade ago, after she swore it was done for. :)) Joke's on her.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Spencer said:
1990 240 DL Wagon - got it off of my sister for $1000 close to a decade ago, after she swore it was done for. :)) Joke's on her.

Ahhhhh!!! No wonder! :))

I bet you $100 that a present day Volvo would not survive an ocean encounter, guaranteed!

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 240DL is a workhorse. Although it is not a great winter performer up here (northern Michigan) unless you weigh down the trunk with lotsa stuff. They were a favorite among my grad student buddies (esp. the wagons)...and I always envied their owners.

Fantastic story btw.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Like Seikos, I could go on and on about Volvos. I moved our entire house with this same 240 wagon. Didn't do it in one go obviously, but I literally moved every single item from our entire house using it as a pack mule.

A few years after the ocean incident, I had to get the poor thing inspected. The guy came out, slack-jawed, because the emissions were so low.

When we got out west after the big move, we were at a gas station, and a lady with a tan 240 wagon said "can't kill yours either, huh?" I laughed and told her that ours had 245k miles, still going strong. She beat me - hers had 415,000 miles.

My wife complains - she actually wants a new VW, but the Volvo just ... will... not.... die....

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Spencer said:
Like Seikos, I could go on and on about Volvos. I moved our entire house with this same 240 wagon. Didn't do it in one go obviously, but I literally moved every single item from our entire house using it as a pack mule.

A few years after the ocean incident, I had to get the poor thing inspected. The guy came out, slack-jawed, because the emissions were so low.

When we got out west after the big move, we were at a gas station, and a lady with a tan 240 wagon said "can't kill yours either, huh?" I laughed and told her that ours had 245k miles, still going strong. She beat me - hers had 415,000 miles.

My wife complains - she actually wants a new VW, but the Volvo just ... will... not.... die....

Those DLs were just damn good cars. Sturdy, simple, well made, comfortable and safe. A far cry from the over loaded with electronic gadgets Volvos of today.

These beat any suv as well...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
True, Volvos (or at least the older models) have a relation with Seiko in terms of being dismissed as "just a Volvo" or "just a Seiko".

·
Administrator
33,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ted said:
I grew up thinking Seikos and Volvos were for rich people!
I'm almost grown up and still think that with some of the prices i see :)) :))

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Great story spencer. I went to Mass Maritime and used to live on the cape, and can attest to the crazy weather and the vagaries of the power supply. We were good because the school generated it's own power, but the deeper you got into the cape the iffier things got, especially when noreasters where blowing through. Summers on the cape sure are wonderful though. I used to love dinghy sailing on the ponds out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haha that is funny! People like that only buy it because of the status symbol that is associated with the name and have no appreciation for it. It is jewelry to them while it is tool to be admired first by us true WIS. I love my Sea Dweller but my Casio G-Shock and Citizen TiZilla gets 95% of my wrist time.

Stan

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
To 99,99% of humans watches are more jewelery then anything else, so naturally they don't know what's good and what's not. Just ask anyone one on the street if they rather wear a Seiko or a Armani ::) .

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Isthmus said:
Great story spencer. I went to Mass Maritime and used to live on the cape, and can attest to the crazy weather and the vagaries of the power supply. We were good because the school generated it's own power, but the deeper you got into the cape the iffier things got, especially when noreasters where blowing through. Summers on the cape sure are wonderful though. I used to love dinghy sailing on the ponds out there.

Hah - know that area well - my folks live in N. Falmouth, out near Nye's Neck. I was driving the Volvo from my sister's house on Cataumet to the little market at the four corners in N. Falmouth. I used to go to the gym near the lower bridge - went at the same time as the football coach at MM! We just talked to Mom via Skype and she showed us the sunset over Buzzards Bay. It's a nice place. When were you there?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I love the volvo 240s and 740s, but can't deny the Jaguar XK as art. Fastest car of its era
I remember a tuner magazine saying, "100,000 miles on the 240 engine? It's barely broken in"

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
GarageBoy said:
I love the volvo 240s and 740s, but can't deny the Jaguar XK as art. Fastest car of its era
I remember a tuner magazine saying, "100,000 miles on the 240 engine? It's barely broken in"

Oh, they're pretty looking, I'll grant you that. Having worked with dad to restore his 150, I can attest to the weird hand-made "quality" of the thing thoughout, however. And frankly, sitting in it is claustrophobic, with very poor visibility - tiny windshield and you're looking through the steering wheel, seriously. Corners like a hog on LSD. I'll take the Volvo any day. Also, I'm prejudiced against a car that I can't haul furniture in.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts