The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
33,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in one of my customers houses today, beautiful house worth i should think around the £750K mark, gated drive, new Jag and a Range Rover parked on the front, on entering the house it just oozed money and class.

Well we did the business £1000 worth and then the lady of the house who was wearing a diamond dialled Omega (her hubby had a gold Rolex on) said i have been looking at your watch i love that blue dial, i was wearing my 6105 with one of Harolds blue AR coated crystals fitted(Harry) and she asked if she could have a closer look so i gave her Harry, she said "goodness this is a lovely watch and such quality", she then said what make is it and before i could reply she took it to the window for some more light and exclaimed "Oh it's only a Seiko" and handed it back !!! and her final words on the watch subject was, well if nothing else it had a lovely blue dial.

At which point i picked up the check and left ha ha

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've experienced that kind of nonsense before too, usually from clueless rich people. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg (and if it wasn't made to make sure you know that), it's not worth having. All the more Seikos for me, I say. ;)

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
When people ask me how much I paid for my "lowly" Seiko Ananta Spring Drive GMT, I get the following responses:

:-\
:eek:
:(
:-[
:-X

"Oh, but for that money you could have gotten a nice Swiss (Insert brand name here). :))

I will give the Swiss credit for the following: Their marketing machine has been very successful at brainwashing millions of unsuspected minions around the world :D

Most people have never been exposed to a high end Seiko.

Let's educate the ignorant watch buying masses.

·
Special Member
2,133 Posts
while there are people who are described by the OP, let's not get into the mode of reverse snobism. while i like my seikos an awful lot, i like my swiss watches just as much. people should not be knocked for spending thousands (5-10k+) for a watch especially since alot of the grand seikos are at or near that level now.

there's no way i'd spring for a $7k spring drive sub, but i might plop down the $3-5k for a rolex sea dweller, a $8k pam 233 with the eight day movement or $3.5k for a GS sbge001. at the same time, i would gladly pull the trigger on a nice speed timer 6139 and enjoy it just as much as a watch that cost 10x - 20x more. it's really all about the enjoyment of watches, no matter the cost - both expensive or not so expensive.

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
33,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thesharkman said:
while there are people who are described by the OP, let's not get into the mode of reverse snobism. while i like my seikos an awful lot, i like my swiss watches just as much. people should not be knocked for spending thousands (5-10k+) for a watch especially since alot of the grand seikos are at or near that level now.

there's no way i'd spring for a $7k spring drive sub, but i might plop down the $3-5k for a rolex sea dweller, a $8k pam 233 with the eight day movement or $3.5k for a GS sbge001. at the same time, i would gladly pull the trigger on a nice speed timer 6139 and enjoy it just as much as a watch that cost 10x - 20x more. it's really all about the enjoyment of watches, no matter the cost - both expensive or not so expensive.

<* shark >>><
I hate to say it and i will wash my mouth after i have said it but my favourite watch of all time that i have owned was my Rolly Sub, i just loved that watch, crap time keeper but i just loved it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My friends and colleagues probably know more now about vintage Seiko divers than about any other watches. I have given myself the mission of communicating my appreciation of these watches, their history and providence, to anyone who is prepared to listen, without making myself an intolerable bore! I'm sure most people who hold one of these and feel the quality while hearing a relevant anecdote or interesting fact will find themselves looking at Seiko, especially vintage Seiko, in a new light. The lady in your story might not rush out and buy one, but she may never say "Oh it's only a Seiko!!" again...

·
32,522 Posts
As an astute businessperson, I'm sure once the couple "showed you the money" their opinion of your watch was not relevant. ;D

·
Registered
995 Posts
I hate brand snobbery, but I absolutely hate it when Seiko is shot down as a cheap watch. But oh well, I wear a Seiko for me, not for Mr. Swiss watch.

·
Administrator
33,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
normdiaz said:
As an astute businessperson, I'm sure once the couple "showed you the money" their opinion of your watch was not relevant. ;D
To be honest any ones opinion about my watches before or after giving me the money doesnt bother me, the only opinion watch wise concerning my watches that bothers me is mine ;) ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The more people with that attitude, the better as far as I'm concerned. When was the last time you heard a mugger say "Hand over that Seiko!"?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Going against the tide here, but I love to see how Seiko is put down by everyone, with or without money.
More reason for a MM or GS being cooler then it's Swiss counterparts, since only a very select few will know it's true value ;).

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Some people have no sense. My dad has a '58 Jaguar XK150, and despite a full restoration it's still a piece of unreliable, uncomfortable, impractical, expensive, poorly-made garbage. Granted, in a good light and at times it appears to be quite attractive, and sometimes it even runs! My Volvo is in every way a far better car - bulletproof, unkillable (I once drove it into the ocean by accident, and that was over 40,000 miles ago!), robust, and eminently kind and practical. Yet people have no regard for the poor Volvo, and will drool over the Jaguar (on the rare occasions that it leaves the garage) for no reason other than the name on the badge.

Silly.

Seiko watches are a fantastic value, stylish, durable, collectible and attractive. They have the added benefit that uninformed snobs don't appreciate them, which means they're affordable, and the smart people who know value AND class can spot each other in a crowd.

;)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Spencer said:
I once drove it into the ocean by accident, and that was over 40,000 miles ago!
Ok, I have to ask. Once I by accident scrapped my front right fender in my own garage, and my wife once hit the garage door.
But how the blazes did you drive into the ocean by accident?!?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well, she had the eye to tell it was a sweet watch but lacked true knowledge and wisdom on the subject of watches. I will wish her well. You should ask them if they have any sweet watches they want to sell. Who knows, perhaps they have cool vintage stuff around.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
LUW said:
Ok, I have to ask. Once I by accident scrapped my front right fender in my own garage, and my wife once hit the garage door.
But how the blazes did you drive into the ocean by accident?!?

Did you try honking? [img]
[/quote]

I'll try to make this the short version

I was living on Cape Cod at the time - a few days after Christmas, we had a gale blow in - I should have known there was going to be trouble when dead leaves started spiraling [b]upwards. [/b]Anyway, when a chipmunk sneezes on the Cape you're liable to lose power. So this gale comes in. HUGE clumps of snow, coming in sideways, driving by a wind that quickly jumps to 70 mph. And of course, out goes the power. Naturally, despite knowing that the Cape is a 3rd world country when it comes to reliable electricity, we had no candles, no batteries, nothing. So I drive to the closest little store. Did I take the truck with it's high ground clearance? No. I take the Volvo. I can't see anything. The car's cold, the defroster isn't working, it's snowing sideways, branches are down everywhere. I'm peering through the windshield, following the path of the road even though everything is white. Then I see the road up ahead, black in the whiteness. And I was right - it was the road. It was wet - there was some standing water, but I pushed on through. And kept pushing. And the water got deeper. And deeper. And then the whole dash went red, and the car choked and died. I still couldn't see out of the windshield, but I could hear a rhythmic something. I put down the passenger window (totally fogged over) and I realized that what I was hearing was waves against the passenger side of the car - I realized this because out of my passenger window all I could see was ragged ocean, to the horizon. Turns out the gale had come at a neap high tide, which had pushed it up six feet higher than flood stage, about four feet of which I was currently parked in. At this point a guy comes the other way in a giant truck and says "well, even if you got through this you wouldn't have been able to go anywhere - someone's boat is in the road!"

After the storm passed, I walked back to the house, got the truck, my mom (who happened to be passing), and a tow rope, and we towed the Volvo home. Turns out an intake hose was loose on the bottom of the air cleaner, which means that pure ocean water was sucked up into the intake, blowing the air mass sensor in the process. Got a new AMS from the junkyard, popped it in, started the car, went on with life.

And here we are.

An interesting side effect of that storm was the storm surge scythed the bay floor clean - the high tide marks were littered with wooden boat wreckage for weeks afterwards. I found the flat stern of a wooden schooner, hand-made and ancient, still with brass fittings in place. The name of the boat? The "Driftwood". True story. I have it screwed to the wall in our sunroom to this day.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
8)

Great story Spencer. And you got the driftwood as nice memento.
I always heard Volvo's were great, but this is just too cool.
Must have been quite a shock to find yourself submerged. I would've freaked out. LOL.

Cheers,
Dave.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts