The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My automatic velatura (limited edition) was away from wrist for long time..

The problems started at the beginning of this year when I notice that wasn’t easy to find the position to adjust the date when I was pulling out the crown. There was not that “clic” between the 2 positions (adjust the date, adjust the hour).
The watch went to the store that was bought. That store had service too, so they open the watch for inspection. Unfortunately something went wrong and the case was scratched!!! The owner of the store offered to change the case of the watch with a new one, but….According to the Greek Seiko no case was spare because the watch is limited edition!!! (no more limited editions especially from Seiko)
The watch went to the official Greek Seiko Service. Was polished but the problem was not fixed. Also it came back with a new problem. The start-stop button of the chronograph was stacked (remaining pushed) sometimes. Back to the official Greek Seiko Service. They fixed the problem with the button but a new problem came up. The date was not changing at 24:00 but at 23:45 !!! I was so disappointed…
Back to the official Greek Seiko service again. They said that they could not fix the problem, so the watch on April was send to Japan. It came back to my hands last Saturday fixed…at last…half a year passed!!!!!
Unfortunately my experience with official Greek Seiko service was the worst!!!

from April that my watch was sent to japan i tried to communicate with Japan service too.

I sent the first e-mail to japan service on 15.04.2010...no response.
i sent my second e-mail to japan service on 22.05.2010...no response.
i sent my third e-mail to japan service and was not so polite on 10.06.2010....finally they answer 6 days after just to tell me that they feel sorry for my problem!!!
the comments are yours

George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention that when they told me that no case was spare and after all these problems i demand to replace the watch. They said was sold out...finally i asked a new watch with the same caliber (8R28) no matter if it's limited edition or not.... they did nothing..not even an answer. They only felt sorry about my problem....so funny!!!

George
X-Seiko Fan

·
Registered
25 Posts
georges said:
forgot to mention that when they told me that no case was spare and after all these problems i demand to replace the watch. They said was sold out...finally i asked a new watch with the same caliber (8R28) no matter if it's limited edition or not.... they did nothing..not even an answer. They only felt sorry about my problem....so funny!!!

George
X-Seiko Fan

Did you demand a replacement watch from Greece Seiko Service, or from Seiko Japan?
Has Seiko Japan resolved all your issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imperiumdx said:
Did you demand a replacement watch from Greece Seiko Service, or from Seiko Japan?
Has Seiko Japan resolved all your issues?
I demand a replacement watch from Seiko Greece, and when my watch was sent to Japan i demand a replacement watch from Seiko Japan. They never reply to my demand.
Seiko Japan repair the watch but i still have a polished case. They never reply to my demand for anew case...
When you buy a watch from an AD and not from the grey market, you expect the company to cover you if you need service spare parts etc.

George
X-Seiko Fan

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
georges said:
When you buy a watch from an AD and not from the grey market, you expect the company to cover you if you need service spare parts etc.
Can't argue with that. Sadly, as you've found out, it doesn't always work that way. :( (Sorry about your bad experiences.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
normdiaz said:
Can't argue with that. Sadly, as you've found out, it doesn't always work that way. :( (Sorry about your bad experiences.)

For me after sales service is very important. Thought that Seiko as a Japanese company would be at the top....unfortunatelly i was wrong.
The reason i wrote the post is, if they read, to change something so other Seiko owners to have better experience than me.
On the other hand i was lucky because i was ready to buy 2 more expensive Seiko watches...after this i will not.
I trully was a Seiko fan (own 10 Seiko watches the last 2 years)...Now i'm an X-Seiko fan.

George
x-Seiko fan

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I have a new Seiko Ananta Automatic Chronograph SRQ003 with the 8R28A movement, same exact as your 2008 limited edition Velatura Automatic Chronograph.

Let me give you a dosage a reality when it comes to these things......

First of all, your post does not specify how long it had gone by after the problems with the movement became evident. Days, weeks, months after purchase?

I don't know about Greece, but here in the United States jewelers typically give their customers a 12-15 day "exchange window" should the customer changes his mind about the piece or a quality problem develops during those first few days of ownership. What was your store policy in regards to exchange/refunds??

Also, I don't see any wrong doing in the part of your Seiko AD in Greece or Seiko Japan. Before you engage in bashing Seiko, please fill in some of the "holes" in your story. I do not see a breach of warranty in part of Seiko as they did exactly as the warranty booklet states. They will attempt to either diagnose/repair the problem and either repair/replace parts, or the entire watch, at Seiko's sole discretion. Nowhere in the warranty booklet says that watches will be replaced upon the customer's demand. Please read your documentation before bashing Seiko.

The process to initiate a request to replace the watch can only be done by the AD. They are under no obligation to fulfill that request for you, other than, getting the watch repaired under the provisions of the manufacturer's warranty. This is true of Seiko, Citizen, Rolex, Omega, etc. The AD's and Manufacturer legal obligation to you is to repair watch under warranty, not to replace the piece..

Also keep in mind that your 2008 Velatura automatic chronograph was a limited edition of 1,000-1,500 pieces. It is possible that the watch has become difficult to source through typical distribution channels. Seiko in cases like that will replace the movement but not the watch (Depending on the extent of the problem).

So please tell us when the problems took place and how long after you first bought the watch you initiated a demand/request with the AD to have the piece exchanged, not repaired.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
normdiaz said:

And that is exactly what they did. Before piling up on Seiko, I see no breach of warranty in their part whatsoever. Sucks that the Greek service arm scratched the case. That seems to be an universal problem plaguing service centers of every watch brand under the umbrella today.

Seiko honored the warranty as far as I can see. I agree the service received from the Greek arm was less than ideal.

If you hate Seiko that is your problem. But you will soon find out that the grass is not greener elsewhere either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
minidriver said:
I have a new Seiko Ananta Automatic Chronograph SRQ003 with the 8R28A movement, same exact as your 2008 limited edition Velatura Automatic Chronograph.

Let me give you a dosage a reality when it comes to these things......

First of all, your post does not specify how long it had gone by after the problems with the movement became evident. Days, weeks, months after purchase?

I don't know about Greece, but here in the United States jewelers typically give their customers a 12-15 day "exchange window" should the customer changes his mind about the piece or a quality problem develops during those first few days of ownership. What was your store policy in regards to exchange/refunds??

Also, I don't see any wrong doing in the part of your Seiko AD in Greece or Seiko Japan. Before you engage in bashing Seiko, please fill in some of the "holes" in your story. I do not see a breach of warranty in part of Seiko as they did exactly as the warranty booklet states. They will attempt to either diagnose/repair the problem and either repair/replace parts, or the entire watch, at Seiko's sole discretion. Nowhere in the warranty booklet says that watches will be replaced upon the customer's demand. Please read your documentation before bashing Seiko.

The process to initiate a request to replace the watch can only be done by the AD. They are under no obligation to fulfill that request for you, other than, getting the watch repaired under the provisions of the manufacturer's warranty. This is true of Seiko, Citizen, Rolex, Omega, etc. The AD's and Manufacturer legal obligation to you is to repair watch under warranty, not to replace the piece..

Also keep in mind that your 2008 Velatura automatic chronograph was a limited edition of 1,000-1,500 pieces. It is possible that the watch has become difficult to source through typical distribution channels. Seiko in cases like that will replace the movement but not the watch (Depending on the extent of the problem).

So please tell us when the problems took place and how long after you first bought the watch you initiated a demand/request with the AD to have the piece exchanged, not repaired.

The watch was bought on February 2009. It didn't spent a lot of time on my wrist as i have a few more watches and this one was my "expensive" one. I discover the problem 10 months after, and in the beggining of the year i went to the AD where i bought it..you know the rest.
My problem is not that the watch was scratched or that it had a malfunction. This things happens. My problem was the way they treat my problem.
3 times my watch went to the Greek service, 3 times came back with problem
When they send it to Japan i had to sent 3 e-mails (the last one not very polite) to get an answer 2 months later...is this normal for you???

About the demand for a new watch, i ask for it before my watch was sent to japan and as i wrote they say "yes, but unfortunatelly this model is sold out" For me this shows that they accepted their responsibilities but.....
Before i ask for a new watch i ask for a new case..and they said "sorry your model is limited edition..there is no spare case" good willing again but no way to give a solution.

I respect seiko and i love their watches. Never said that they r not good. That's why i have 10 of them. My problem was with the aftersales service and the whole treatment.
I Know what happens with the other companies too but there are very good independent technicians that can repair e.g. omega calibers.
Here in Greece expensive Seikos are very rare. I was planning to buy a seiko MM300 and a spring drive ananta. These watches can be servised only in Japan.
Now tell me...if you were in my position...if from the Japan service didn't reply to your e-mails what would you have done??

George
X-Seiko fan

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
After 10 months, I am sorry to say, you will be out of luck to get a watch replaced under warranty. That would be an incredible act of goodwill in part of the AD/manufacturer if they did otherwise.

Look, I am sorry that you had problems with the watch. These Seiko mechanical chronographs are far from cheap. The real culprit here was the Seiko Greek service center. Perhaps they attempted to perform repairs that they were not truly qualified to do. Remember that your Seiko warranty does not force you to go through the service center in your home country. In your situation, I would have asked the AD to send the watch directly to Japan for servicing (The 8r28 is considered to be a high end mechanical caliber), thus bypassing the ill run Greek service center altogether. Live and learn.

So, what was wrong with the watch in the end? Did Seiko Japan specified the repairs/replacements made on your Velatura?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
minidriver said:
After 10 months, I am sorry to say, you will be out of luck to get a watch replaced under warranty. That would be an incredible act of goodwill in part of the AD/manufacturer if they did otherwise.

Look, I am sorry that you had problems with the watch. These Seiko mechanical chronographs are far from cheap. The real culprit here was the Seiko Greek service center. Perhaps they attempted to perform repairs that they were not truly qualified to do. Remember that your Seiko warranty does not force you to go through the service center in your home country. In your situation, I would have asked the AD to send the watch directly to Japan for servicing (The 8r28 is considered to be a high end mechanical caliber), thus bypassing the ill run Greek service center altogether. Live and learn.

So, what was wrong with the watch in the end? Did Seiko Japan specified the repairs/replacements made on your Velatura?

i have somehere a report...i'l find it and tell you till tomorrow.
I didn't want a new watch at the beggining as i said. I wanted a case replasement that the AD was willing to pay. I was dissapointed to hear that there is no one spare. I mean if the watch was scratced really heavilly and the polish was not enough what would have happened???
I asked for a replacement watch after the second time my watch came back from the Greek service with problem...almost 2 months have passed and i was still without watch.
Also i was dissapointed with Japan service because of the luck of communication. had to be rude in order to answer me back. About my comments and my demands no answer..the only answer was that they feel sorry about my problems. I'm sorry but this is not enough for me. This shows no respect to the customer... You asked me some questions..you were interested to learn more details. They were pathetic. I thought i was talking to a robot, and got the answers it was programmed to give.

George
X-Seiko fan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts