The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a fit of buy now, pay for it later (possibly literally) I just snagged an identical Seiko 6117-6420 to this one from eBay:

It wasn't expensive, and as I was able to find pictures of a few similar examples I thought it worth the hit. Trouble is, until I saw it, I had never seen this variant before. Is it legit O:)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I saw one like that before, but I'm convinced it's not legit.
They should have made at least a rotating 24h ring.
Like this, the 24h hand is nothing more than a day/night indicator.
As well the font of the 1 to 23 numbering looks odd for me and is a total discrepancy to the rest of the watch.
Also I never saw one like that in an old add, catalogue or book.
I was once thinking of getting one, but because of the reasons above it's a "no go" for me.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont see anything conclusive in that link?

There was another one sold recently on eBay auction number 230456247379. The one I already posted, this one from a South American auction (mods I hope this doesn't break any rules with this link) http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-127828267-seiko-navigator-gmt-anos-70-exotic-dial-6117-6420-_JM and two in this thread (though the second one may be the same as the one in the last link) http://forums2.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=387019.
What is interesting to me at least is the aging on these different watches.

Then there is the one I just purchased which is different again, this also shows some aging to the lume on the indices, hands etc. but nothing too bad but certainly not 'new like' either. I will post pictures once I receive it.
rileynp said:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not convinced either by any stretch. I have not seen any others outside of the links and auction numbers I provided in the last post. I would also state though that I have never seen that dial for sale anywhere either, but there are plenty of aftermarket dials for the 6117-6420 available on the Bay.

Axel66 said:
I saw one like that before, but I'm convinced it's not legit.
They should have made at least a rotating 24h ring.
Like this, the 24h hand is nothing more than a day/night indicator.
As well the font of the 1 to 23 numbering looks odd for me and is a total discrepancy to the rest of the watch.
Also I never saw one like that in an old add, catalogue or book.
I was once thinking of getting one, but because of the reasons above it's a "no go" for me.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sorry technoman, but as others have said, that is a mod and not one made to resemble an original seiko design. The watch itself is in fact a 6117 world timer, but it has been modified. Unlike other seiko model lines, there were not that many world timer variants, so mods like these are easy to spot.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries, thankfully I like the look of it anyway, it certainly has some character and maybe I can now participate in a post your Oranges thread :) . I would love to chase down whoever put these together as there are definitely multiple copies of this exact same mod out there, distributed far and wide. It must have been some time ago as well given the aging that some of them exhibit.

Isthmus said:
Sorry technoman, but as others have said, that is a mod and not one made to resemble an original seiko design. The watch itself is in fact a 6117 world timer, but it has been modified. Unlike other seiko model lines, there were not that many world timer variants, so mods like these are easy to spot.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Technoman said:
Technoman said:

[/quote]

No worries, thankfully I like the look of it anyway, it certainly has some character and maybe I can now participate in a post your Oranges thread. I would love to chase down whoever put these together as there are definitely multiple copies of this exact same mod out there, distributed far and wide. It must have been some time ago as well given the aging that some of them exhibit.[/quote]

Yeah it is in fact a good looking piece. IIRC the original ones were labelerd Navigator Timer, NAVIGATORTIMER or Wold Time (or was it world timer?). I don't remember them being labeled only Navigator. I seem to recall an older version in a smaller non-cushion case, but I could be wrong about that (I don't collect these). Also, notice the location of the dial code, above the 0600 marker. Seiko doesn't normally put them there and never did on this model line. Also look at the Doxa-style markers. IIRC seiko used this style in a number of different sport divers in the 60's and 70's (yes, at the same time the original Doxa divers used them), but they didn't use them in this model World/Navigator Time model line.

Here is a catalog pic of the 6117 Navigator Timer and World Time variants showing the original version of the one you have on the left. Notice how the rotating ring is different and how the dial chapter ring doesn't go with this model, but with the black dialed World Time model.

[img]

Here is a better picture from Lumberpost of his collection:

[img]

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that was the 6217-7000 like this one:

I never realized this existed until I was playing around with a couple of spare 6217 movements and found an extra wheel on one of them that was used to drive the GMT hand. Annoyingly, it also appeared that the date ring on the 6217-7000 is ever so slightly different to the 62MAS one (caused by the 4 o'clock crown no doubt..), which forced me to pull apart a movement I thought I had just completed.

[quote=Isthmus]
I seem to recall an older version in a smaller non-cushion case, but I could be wrong about that (I don't collect these).
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
There you go, that's the one. Thanks for confirming that I haven't completely lost my memory and can spend one more day away from the loony bin. O0

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isthmus said:
There you go, that's the one. Thanks for confirming that I haven't completely lost my memory and can spend one more day away from the loony bin. O0

No problem, happy to give you one more day :)

For anybody interested, here is a hi-res image of this dial, it is so well executed...

Edit: This got resized so here is a direct link if you want to examine it even more closely: http://klockrent.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/seikogmt1.jpg

·
Registered
964 Posts
Technoman said:
I believe that was the 6217-7000 like this one:...
.. and there was also a non-cushion 6117 version, the 6117-6010:

(pic from John Gauch's database)

It's also shown in the Seiko Museum book No.9

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Technoman- I love it! I would be happy to wear that.
Are you a Wolves man?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Casiojem said:
Technoman- I love it! I would be happy to wear that.
Are you a Wolves man?

Yeah, I like it too, as to if I'll wear it, I will let you know when it arrives.

Yep, Wolves supporter here, I may be the only one living here in North Carolina in the US who is? I am so stoked we stayed up this year.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
When I was researching another 6117-6400 for a possible purchase I was truly amazed and surprised how many pieces were available for sale overall. It must be a combination of availability and interest. Perhaps this model was not overly popular with customers ? If the dials are being modded too, it would most assuredly add to the total number available in the market today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts